Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Arghhh! Soddin' hay fever!
David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Arghhh! Soddin' hay fever!

Finally got my speedo sender fixed and working properly, so went out for a blast with just dark glasses, no helmet (no screen, BTW).

Had a great time, got home, put the car away... and my eyes have been streaming for the last 2 hours... not nice.

Trouble is, where I live in South Suffolk, just about every field has either rape-seed or barley, the two worst offenders for hay-fever sufferers.

Grumble, grumble, mutter....

Mind you, the car went like a treat!
(I'm paying for it now though)

David

viatron

posted on 10/6/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
On my third piriton today so you have my sympathies!!
Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 10/6/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Concur

Though for me, it was more my nose!

ATB

Simon

theconrodkid

posted on 10/6/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
try herbal stuff,dosnt send you to sleep a lot cheaper and it works,preperation h from new era,available at chemists everywhere,no sneezing here

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

mookaloid

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
try herbal stuff,dosnt send you to sleep a lot cheaper and it works,preperation h from new era,available at chemists everywhere,no sneezing here

I have suffered from Hay Fever for 40 years - people who don't get it don't realise how disabling it is, Sometimes all I can do is go and lie down with a wet cloth over my face for a couple of hours.

I have not heard of preparation H but I'll go and get some to try out.

Cheers

Mark

Avoneer

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
You mean combination h I think.

Know how you all feel.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
From 2 members of Hellfire...

We know how you feel...

Combination H? Sounds too good to be true... if anyone is thinking about the Chinese Remedy I can confirm that it is fantastic for lightening your wallet... sh*te for anything else. I've suffered with HF for 32 years and it also makes me Asthmatic too I hate Pollen I do!!!

It's like having Summer Flu... Marc, cloth and lie down I've done many a time. Always shower before going to bed as the pollen in your hair (if you have any - Phil?) simply rubs into your pillow then into your eyes/nose/mouth making bedtime a nightmare!

ATB from a fellow HF sufferer...

Steve

[Edited on 10-6-06 by Hellfire]

Humbug

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid

I have suffered from Hay Fever for 40 years - people who don't get it don't realise how disabling it is, Sometimes all I can do is go and lie down with a wet cloth over my face for a couple of hours.

I have not heard of preparation H but I'll go and get some to try out.

Cheers

Mark

I think that considering where you are supposed to put Preparation H, it's unlikely to help combat hay fever

(.)

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I only use a steroid nose spray - stops me sneezing and dripping, and I can put up with the other symptoms... unless I overload them, like I did today. I went out at 5:00, it's now 9:45, and my eyes are just about calming down.

Knew I should have worn my helmet!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
BTW: Had to grin at the description of "preparation H" - that's for the other end of the anatomy!

[Edited on 10/6/06 by David Jenkins]

Macbeast

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think Preparation H is for haemorrhoids something like Anusol.

(not speaking from experience here )

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 10/6/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
haemorrhoid cream isnt it? im sure there was a Billy Connolly stand up bit about it.
mookaloid

posted on 10/6/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote

Well I'm pleased I didn't rush off to the chemist to ask for that......

I'll stick with a wet cloth over the face in a darkened room..

JoelP

posted on 10/6/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
my missus takes a claratin (sp?) every morning where she feels dodgy (and before most chinese meals!), seems to work well. Simple anti histamine.
Peteff

posted on 10/6/06 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Preparation H for hay fever?

You may as well shove it up your @rse

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Browser

posted on 11/6/06 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Would these help mate?

Sorry about the slightly 'dodgy'colour

Or these?

[Edited on 11/6/06 by Browser]

[Edited on 11/6/06 by Browser]

Ian Pearson

posted on 11/6/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
None of the anti histamines work for me. Routinely get bronchitis with the hay fever. My eyes end up looking like raw steak, and I get a true fever. Was a prisoner in the house last summer, as we live in the middle of farm land? Eventually managed to get my GP to refer me to the allergy clinic at Bournemouth Hospital. I reacted very badly to grass pollen and house dust. I opted for treatment against the grass pollen, and had my first jabs in April. Have to have four jabs each year for the next two years. Was out cutting and strimming grass yesterday as an "experiment". My eyes are still streaming, my sinuses are really blocked up, and I feel like I've got emphysema, but.....this time last year, my eyes where swollen shut, so a definite improvement. If any of you suffer very badly, get referred. My cousin had this treatment, and now is hay fever free
David Jenkins

posted on 11/6/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
Would these help mate?

Bit too pink for me! And the pilot's goggles remind me of Allo Allo.... with the wet celery!

I had thought about sky-diver goggles like these, as they would fit over my glasses:

Alternatively, I could just use my helmet and keep the visor down!

PaulBuz

posted on 11/6/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have suffered from SEVERE hay fever since i was a small child. (time off school etc.)
As an adult I can vouch for the fact that it makes your life a misery

After having taken all the medications on the market, (over the counter & presciption)& having lived life as a zombie-falling asleep on the motorway, fast asleep by 8pm, the only thing that cured me was a Kenelog injection.
I had the jab about a month ago.... absolutely NO symptons.
It lasts for about 3 months & at last I can enjoy the sun again!!

[Edited on 11/6/06 by PaulBuz]

ATB
Paul

MikeRJ

posted on 26/6/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used to suffer horribly as a child and all the way up to may late twenties, but in the last few years I seem to have had less symptoms every year and a simple anti-histamin now seems to clear up the odd runny nose and itchy eyes. I just hope my daughter isn't going to suffer from it as she grows up.

It is a nasty affliction though, I can remember not knowing what to do with myself as my whole face used to puff up and it felt like someone was pouring itching powder into my eyes.

DarrenW

posted on 26/6/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, can concurr is nasty when it hits you. Im not as bad as most and one tablet normally sorts it out. Tried all of the brand names - good but you pay for them. Now use Cetirizine Dihydrochloride (available over the shelf, small white box made by Neolab), 30 tablets for about £5. From the ingredients look identical to all the brand names. i just asked at my local chemist and this si what they gave me, didnt even reach for the brand named stuff as its about twice the price.

wildchild

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
It's not fun.

I've had asthma/eczema since I was *very* young (ie about 2, i'm 24 now) and every year get hayfever on top which sets both of them off a treat (no idea why a skin condition should be related to either of the other two but there you go).

I've been fairly good this year, just taking a tablet a day. Suffered a bit when I went to a farming show last week but what do you expect? My gf's had it much worse this year - she went to the doctors last week and came back with a prescription as long as your arm!

But last year I was spending at least an hour out of every 24 for a few weeks lying on the bed with a wet flannel over my eyes.

My sympathies.

http://www.wildchild.org.uk
Build photos on Flickr

wildchild

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
From the ingredients look identical to all the brand names. i just asked at my local chemist and this si what they gave me, didnt even reach for the brand named stuff as its about twice the price.

concur. don't even think about buying brand name hayfever medication. if you have been using some and it works for you, look at the packet to see which sort it is (probably loratidine or cetirizine) and next time buy a month's worth of no-name stuff for what a weeks worth of brand-name cost you. it's all the same.

can you tell I used to live with a pharmacy student. very useful sometimes.

http://www.wildchild.org.uk
Build photos on Flickr

DarrenW

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
It is strange but people who have skin conditions do tend to have repiration trouble as well. I had astham as a kid and developed hayfever much later in liife. Luckily dont have skin trouble.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.