Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Money spent/time spent...
Alan B

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Money spent/time spent...

Ok guys what is your ratio for this....

Money spent on your build divided by hours spent on it........

Low figures should reflect very labour intensive cost saving builds

High figures will show a more "get it on the road quickly approach"

Mine I'd say I'll spend about 2000 pounds (equivalent) and around 2000 hours....

So I'll start the ball rolling at......

1.00 pound spent/hour spent

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't a clue, a lot of the parts i have accumulated have been donated for services, ie me making bits for others who then pay me in usefull bits...how do you put a price/hour tag on that?:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 23/4/03 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
£5k - 500 hours???, £10 per hour, not much more to spend now, hopefully....
bob

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
£3648.74p

47mins

bob

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot to say i spent 484hrs and 36mins thinking about it and asking other peeps

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/4/03 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I know exactly how many hrs I have spent, but i dare not add it up unless I feel suicidal as a result. That will be done once its registered. I recon around 500 hrs so far.

Cost, well, thats gotta be somewhere around 4k. Its gone in stuff like hiring skips to clear the garage, building a lean too on the back for more room, tools, hiring engine cranes - im possibly kidding myself its 4k. It could be more like 5k.

so thats about 8 quid an hr?

moral of the story.....fast cheap builds come from following the book without going to the extent of money saving vs tiome by stripping the sides off transits to save money.

Longer builds come if you do something too different. Like mine.

I cant believe you spent 2000hrs already Alan! Your garage will have needed two sets of light bulbs in that time! I thought I was being patient but you are the king of perseverance!

atb

Steve

[Edited on 23/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 23/4/03 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, I was estimating 2 years build at 20 hours per week for 2000 hours...it may go beyond 2 years, and/or may be less than 20 hours per week, but by the end it won't be far of 2000 hours.

However, I'll bet at least half of that is on tooling, design, moulds and so on......

I must say that when Ron talked about stripping ali off old transits, he was talikng it bit too far.....although I've no doubt some have done that, buying a sheet is probably the way to go...

The main reason that you and I have/wiill have a lot of time in our cars (as you suggest) is because they are different....

My previous car, the off-road racing buggy took 3 months start to finish, from first idea to the first race.....(no glass fibre, no road legal stuff)

Still, that first drive will be sooooo good...

[Edited on 23/4/03 by Alan B]

RoadkillUK

posted on 24/4/03 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, I've neither kept count of hours or cash, I really don't want to know

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think the first drive might be like first time sex. I just hope the car isnt a bad ride, which may have been the experience of the female half of the first time sex

ATB

Steve

BTW Alan - I would have preferred you to say the GRP was the fastest bit and a breeze - would be more encouraging as Im at that stage now. I would know it was a lie tho!

Anyone wanting to make own GRP for their car rather than buying, if its a std locost, dont EVEN THINK about it. It takes ages, is messy, and is costly due to the three stage buck/mould/final part stages. My car needs 9 panels and thats essentially 27 stages.

I have my completed boot lid, and have one final rear arch part coming out of the mold Friday. (6 stages completed) In about 3 weeks I will have the other side, and essentially the car from the rear wheels back will be cosmetically complete!!!!

Then there are the front wings and sills to do.

Its a long slow road

atb

steve

[Edited on 24/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 24/4/03 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Unfortunately, I've neither kept count of hours or cash, I really don't want to know

Yes, that may well be very good advice...

Alan B

posted on 24/4/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, any more mould/moulding pics?

I wouldn't want to be suffering alone...

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've totally lost track of the time I've spent,
seeing that I started the build in late 1997. It's only in the past 12 months that I've really got stuck in.

As for the cost, well I've got nearly all receipts. It's just that I haven't had the courage to add them up...

David

kingr

posted on 24/4/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I took the decision when I started my car to not record time or cost. I haven't set a budget, and despite it being the first question everyone asks, I don't know when I'll finish. It's often quite difficult to put an exact price on the cost of a locost, what do you include? Cost of petrol driving to place to get things? Cost of going to shows? Cost of tools? Where do you stop? Cost of electricity? Anyway, you get my point.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/4/03 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Steve, any more mould/moulding pics?

I wouldn't want to be suffering alone...

yep.

Im gonna put em up on my site in the next week.

The boot lid came out quite well, apart from some marks by the friggin pva streaks.

The wheel arch I didnt use wax. I used 3 coats pva and I hope this wont stick and will leave far less marks.

Im prepared to rub things down, use a bit of knifing stopper/filler (that will sort the small areas on boot lid). Looks like I will have to.

Getting a surface good enougth to take a coloured gel coat with a decent finish must be a real art.

I bought gel coat in white instead of clear - I thought it might show coverage over the mould better. Still pondering the spray colour!

atb

steve

[Edited on 24/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/4/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I've totally lost track of the time I've spent,
seeing that I started the build in late 1997. It's only in the past 12 months that I've really got stuck in.

As for the cost, well I've got nearly all receipts. It's just that I haven't had the courage to add them up...

David

That makes me feel a bit better, having started mine on may 9th 2000!

Your car looks very nicely done so far. I notice you have a yellow nose cone - are you doing the green body like book one cover pic?

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/03 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Your car looks very nicely done so far. I notice you have a yellow nose cone - are you doing the green body like book one cover pic?

Ta very much...

For the time being I'm sticking to yellow & aluminium, purely for time & cost reasons - if I want to get it painted I'll have to strip it right down, and I can't be arsed.

Maybe sometime in the future...
(I fancy a REALLY dark blue to go with the yellow, maybe that Rover dark blue metallic)

DJ

mdc124

posted on 25/4/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Error
Divide by Zero!

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

Alan B

posted on 26/4/03 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdc124
Error
Divide by Zero!

F**k off...........

flyingkiwi

posted on 27/4/03 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've spent about £300 on the car, and £500 on tools! as for time, me - not enough, my wife - too much f**kin time!

Think its about 100 or so hours, 90 of that cleaning.

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

chrisg

posted on 27/4/03 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
On a different subject.

How many hours are there in seven years?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 27/4/03 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know ask rory

Alan B

posted on 28/4/03 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Syd,

I believe you 100%...no reason not to...

However, I have a friend nearby who has been a composite consultant to the marine industry for 20 years or so...and I believe him 100% too....he says use PVA....

Can you both be right? of course you can.....there can often be many right ways

Back to this surfacing coat you mention...is that similar to this...

"Duratec Gray Surfacing Primer
Perfect for Plug Finishing and Hiding Repairs
Duratec Surfacing Primer is the best choice for coating your plug or reconditioning your mold.It can be thinned using Fast Lacquer Thinner to be sprayed through a siphon or HVLP gun minimizing costly sanding steps to remove orange-peel.This surface primer can be applied as heavily as 45 mils to fill fabric pores on plugs or over repairs. With a higher heat distortion temperature, shrinkage is reduced. This further hides the repair.The gray primer sands easily and is then buffed to a Class 'A' mirror finish before building the mold. Catalyze with 2% MEKP."

Snipped from fiberglast.com

Simon

posted on 29/4/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

I'm reckoning on about 2.5 - 3 grand when done. However, if I hadn't have been so compulsive, like buying an incomplete engine/box, think I'd have saved a couple of quid.

Likewise, bought some ally sheet a couple of weeks ago to make my side panels and gave up trying to bend. Should have scribed it and taken it to the local vehicle builders and had them do it on their brake press.

Made them from 'glass instead:

Two bits of ally sheet, one flat, one at an angle (to give the mid chassis bend). Two bits of 1" sq ERW (cut to follow ally sheet) and clamped down. Clay down the seams. Floor polish on ally, grease on clay. Pour in resin (not gelcoat - haven't any!!) leave to set. Lay up matting. Leave for 24 - 48 hours, remove, trim, finish. Reckoned 1.5 hours a side.

Going to do rear and front side in the same manner, though more complex so will take longer!!

Bonnett and scuttle will be moulded first.

As for time, probably (wildly inaccurate guess of up to 400 hours so far.

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/4/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Simon.

Bending the alu for the sides is absolutly EASY.

You did one of two things wrong (possibly more can go wrong).

1. You used the wrong grade alu. There are lots of hardness grades, and some will fight you. David Jenkins found this out on his rear panel. You need summat called half hard 3003 grade.

2. You didnt anneal it. If you try and bend virgin sheet more than about a few hundred mils long, its really hard.

So, you get a bar of soap and a blow lamp.

Rub the areas you want to bend with a bar of soap. Heat with the blow lamp until the soap goes brown / black. The soap is acting as an indicator to tell you temp - if you heat too far you melt the alu - but I recon this takes some doing with a blow torch.

Let it cool down and the alu will be REALLY easy to bend. A synch in fact.

SYD :

In my meagure efforts to make grp I am convinced that PVA is the biggest pain in the arse in the project. You just cant get a mark free finish and absolutely need to sand and primer surfacer it, so coloured gel cost is out.

HOWEVER

using wax is also a pain. The survey I read on the net from a professional group of 'glass moulders on the net reconed that even with massive amounts of wax coats, there was a 16% chance of a virgin mould sticking.

The mould apparently ages so that only an occasional waxing is needed - you will know this of course.

However, for me, I am making only one part, so all my moulds will be virgin. I would rather have a part release and have to sand it a bit (will use primer surfacer anyway) rather than throw away both the part and the mould it shagged.

If I was making several parts I would use wax. As Im not I just swear a lot when putting PVA on and leave the wax in its tin cos wax and pva really dont work together.

atb

Steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/4/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
this was the data I saw syd...

http://winshipmodels.tripod.com/pva_mold_release.htm

whadya think?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.