Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento diff, online breakers yards
Tricky Dave

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Viento diff, online breakers yards

Hi

Another silly question I'm afraid!
I've been looking for a 3.36 LSD to replace the 3.62 one I've got at the mo (mated to BMW box, gearing too low, engine nice and flexible anyway). I got asked if I needed a 7 or 7.5" one, and embarrassingly I had to confess I didn't have a clue. Felt like an utter chopper! Again.

So... where are these inches of which they speak measured? Anyone know which size I should be using?

Can anyone tell me which models / years of sierra had the diff I'm after?

And on a not totally unrelated note, has anyone had success using any of the onlone breaker's yard services? Any recomendations?

Cheers chaps

rusty nuts

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Piddy had one for sale recently , don't know if he still has it. Check the for sale section it could save you a bob or two
need4speed

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 7.5" one in a Viento, well that's what I was told by Grant. not to hi jack the thread but what other kit uses a 7.5" diff?
Tricky Dave

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, will U2U piddy now.
If that's measured across the long bolt holes, I suspect I've got a 7 with washers in to space it out! Pobably not too good?
Any idea which model of sierra anyone?

Liam

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of kit chassis are made to fit either a 7" or a 7.5" diff. You use spacers/washers on the top mount if you fit the smaller 7" which is no problem at all. You really only need the bigger stronger (and heavier) 7.5" in such a light car if you have serious power (over 300 bhp?)and grip. You're probably better off sticking with a 7" but no reason why you couldn't fit a 7.5" (as long as it isn't a 2wd cosworth one with bigger drive shaft flanges as that will require you to change the shafts, bearings etc etc too).

As for the ratio, as far as i'm aware LSDs only come in 3.6 and 3.9 as standard. If you want a different ratio LSD you will probably have to make one from two diffs.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tricky Dave

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
7" OK - good!
Nothing less than 3.6 as standard - bad!

Then again, my motorway cruising rpm isn't as bad as I thought - only just got the speedo going, and what I previously estimated to be about 70 (on a dead motorway at night) has turned out to be closer to 100. Oops.

Still, for the sake of the wallet it would be nice to be able to get to the lakes, Scotland, Le Mans etc without having to refuel every 100 miles, and as I said I think the engine's flexible enough that it could easily cope with longer ratios.

chrisj

posted on 21/6/06 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running a 7" 3.17 LSD (approx ratios) which I got from a supplier down London way. If you speak to John at Kit Bits he will let you know what's around. As I understood from him bike engine cars have taken loads of these off the market and pushed the prices up (£250 refurbed).

As for fixing it, onto the chassis I cut down some tube rather than washers.

Horsepower, mine's 350 to 400 depending on the Ron rating.

Tricky Dave

posted on 21/6/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris.
LV350 - nice!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.