Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: " Must see" motor sport events worldwide
Fred W B

posted on 29/6/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
" Must see" motor sport events worldwide

I am lucky that I have been able to see some motor sport in various parts of the world, mostly while on business trips.

Still have a lot I want to see though, so I made a list, excluding South African events. The entries with place and date are what I have done already. What "must sees" am I missing?

Any Grand Prix - Kyalami 1975
Goodwood Festival of Speed - 2005
Goodwood Revival
British touring cars - Knockhill 1999
British club race - Knockhill 1999
British hill climb - Harewood 1999
British historic meet - Donnington 1991
British karting meet - 1999

Monaco Grand Prix
Lemans
Lemans Classic
Millie Migla Retrospective
Drive laps of the old Nurburing - 1991
European club / historic race - Zandvoort 1991

Macau Historics
Asian karting meet - Singapore 1994, Kuala Lumpar 1998

American sprint cars on dirt - Houston 1994
American club race - Houston 1994
Bonnivale Salt Flats Speed Week
American historic race, maybe Lagua Seca?
Pikes Peak

Australian V8's at Bathurst

Isle of Man TT (motorcycle)

Cheers

Fred W B

D Beddows

posted on 29/6/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Manx GP - same as the Isle Of Man TT but with classic bikes, a much better soundtrack
ned

posted on 29/6/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
My highlights and ambitions:

done:
DTM - going to brands this saturday
Touring Cars - once broke down 5miles from brands enroute and didn't make it
TGP's, f3000and Group C sportscars @ dony
f3, palmer audi, frenault, ff1600, ff2000, british gt's dony/brands/thruxton/snet etc
A1GP - went to inaugral Brands meeting
GW Festical of speed - been twice - got tickets for a third
Superbikes @ brands

Would like to:
F1 @ Silvertsone - plan to go to a test day due to cost
Isle of Man TT
GW Revival
Monaco GP
Lemans (drive bugatti + see 24hr)
Nurburgring (drive + see 24hr)
Drive SPA
See Santa Pod top fuel dragsters
WRC rally
Paris-Dakar
motogp

No real desire but if I was ever over there:
Indianapolis 500
Laguna Seca

from comparing mine and your lists I'd recon indianapolis 500, wrc stage, paris-dakar, motogp are missing?!

[Edited on 29/6/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlgeldard

posted on 29/6/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
The 500th World Championship Grand Prix in Adelaide. Piquet scored a win for Benetton over Mansell in a V12 Ferrari.
Such a great race and only 2 days before my 21st birthday. Then the French Grand prix to see Mansell return to help Hill just after Senna's death in 93. Then there was the day trip to Estoril to see Hill take the championship only to be piped to the post by Villeneuve on the day.

Fozzie

posted on 29/6/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
This event (Silverstone Classic) is a 'must see' IMHO, its a weekend event. It stopped a couple of years ago, but has been brought back this year, I hope it stays!
Here

ATB Fozzie

[Edited on 29/6/06 by Fozzie]

here too

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Fred W B

posted on 29/6/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned and all

For me, spectating at motorsport events is much more about seeing and hearing the cars themselves, than the actual racing as such. If I had to choose between attending one of the events on my list on either a practice day, when I could wander the pits and paddock, or on race day, but only sit in the stands, I would by far prefer the former.

Hence my list did not include Indy 500, or Nascar, as from what I see of these events on TV the fans are kept well away from the cars. Indy also seemed to loose it's lustre when the American openwheelers split into two camps, and I haven't really followed it since then. Is that conflict still going on?

With regard to a WRC round, Paris-Dakar and MotoGP, good points, I must add them to the list.

Cheers

Fred W B

zilspeed

posted on 29/6/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
My all time favourites are;

The very last ever RAC Rally where group B cars were allowed. Stages included the floodlit night stage at Ingliston circuit.

The last ever running af the British GP at Brands Hatch.

The time Andy Priaulx broke the hill record at Doune in the Pilbeam.

When Jimmy McRae overtook the leader of a saloon car race at Ingliston in the Ecurie Ecosse Chevette on the outside of the last corner to win the race.

I was at all of these

Oh right - you can't go to any of these

pjavon

posted on 29/6/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
The birth of the first F1 female driver champion, should take place around the 10th September 2006. Not to sure the miss's will want an audiance though?

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

MkIndy7

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you added all the BHP of those you've seen together you might get somewhere near the BHP of Tractor Pulling, officialy the most powerful motorsaport in the world

I'd say thats a must see event, went last year at Great Eccleston near Prestonblackpool was only £10!

Sirius

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't been myself but I hear that the Monaco Historic is well worth a trip.
DIY Si

posted on 29/6/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO the Silverstone gp is a waste of time to go to unless you can be in one of the boxes on the start line. And Mercedes own that one. Or did last year. Otherwise you can't see enough of the track to make it worth the effort of the traffic and massive crowds. A good day at silverstone tends to be the historic stuff. You can wander the pits and chat to the racers. Even sit in one or two if you ask nicely.
Fozzie

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree Si, there is so much to see and many brilliant cars of yesteryear! You would never catch me at the Silverstone F1!
Silverstone Classic = 3 days of brill racing with names like Sir Stirling Moss, etc for 40 odd squid for the whole 3 days! What value. As you say, everyone is much friendlier too.
I believe there are also camping facilities if you want to stay for the three days, so no frayed nerves with driving in every day....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

owelly

posted on 30/6/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I would add the Dutch GP Bikes in Assen. Even if you're not into bikes, the atmosphere is amazing! The whole town is turned into a heeeeeuge party! The last couple of times I have been, I didn't even go to the racing!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 1/7/06 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
The Monterey historics (laguna seca) are pretty cool. I went last year and had a blast. Not sure how it compares to Goodwood though. Probably more can-am, trans-am cars which were my favorites. Keep an eye on what the marque car is for the year you want to go. Last year was perfect for me because it was the low dollar builders in the spotlight. Chapparal, Balchowsky, Yunick etc. Guys like that are pretty cool IMO.

To see laguna seca in person too is awesome. You do not realize the elevation changes from TV. The famous corkscrew is about a 60ft blind drop

Hoping to hit goodwood and a "few" pubs next year though
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.