Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How easy is it to clean alloys?
peterriley2

posted on 1/10/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
How easy is it to clean alloys?

Hello,
im looking at buying some alloys off ebay (very cheap hopefully) but they are not in good condition, and need repairing. how easy is this to do (i have no experience) and what tools do you use- i assume you cant just set to work with a wire brush on the drill as it'll leave horrible marks. help would be appreciated because i dont mind doing work.
also, i may want to spray them black, i have a compressor and spray gun, but id still need to get a very high quality finish pre painting right?
pic of them- Rescued attachment 88_1.jpg
Rescued attachment 88_1.jpg

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

RazMan

posted on 1/10/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Peter, that wheel in the pic looks pretty horrid and will probably need the services of a wheel refurbisher - usual cost is about £50 per wheel but that one might cost a bit more.
For minor dings you can often use metal loaded epoxy glue to fill in the dents and then rub them down with wet & dry. Prime and paint as usual.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 1/10/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
It looks as if the rim has completely gone at 9 o' clock. You must be able to do better than that...however cheap they are on e-bay.

I'm the world's biggest optimist but I wouldn't touch those with a bargepole.

Catpuss

posted on 1/10/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
It looks as if the rim has completely gone at 9 o' clock. You must be able to do better than that...however cheap they are on e-bay.

I'm the world's biggest optimist but I wouldn't touch those with a bargepole.

Yep looks like just before 12 o'clock too. Those are pretty nadgered. I would expect repair will be higher than the cost of the wheels. You may be able to get the missing metal welded back in or some other sort of repair but I wouldn't bother myself.

JamJah

posted on 1/10/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mop 'em.but not this time. Dont look good to me.
zetec7

posted on 1/10/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd give those a miss, mate...for the the effort & cost of refurbishing, I think you can do better
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
TSW Venoms?

I thought they always looked that manky.
I'd steer well clear of them, rim damage maybe hiding more sins.
Also they weight an awful lot.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

peterriley2

posted on 2/10/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
i get the idea!

cheers guys, thought they could turn out good but you've all put me straight!!

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

DarrenW

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I had some wheels redone on my beemer - £180 all in and a great job from ROMAX in Stockton. Whilst there some very horrid wheels were dropped off for refurbishing and the guy didnt even comment when he saw them.

There are some really good deals to be had on wheels and tyres at the mo so not always worth the hassle unless they are the only design you want or a bit special and cost a fortune new.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.