Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building your own PC - as easy as a locost?
Jasper

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Building your own PC - as easy as a locost?

So I want a nice powerful home pc for home theatre, gaming and storing all my music, pictures etc etc.

Now I watched the Gadget Show last night where he built a better PC from components than Suzie could buy for the same money.

I was looking to spend around £1200-1400 on a Mesh PC - dual core, good graphics card, etc etc.

How hard is it to build a PC from components? Should I think about attempting it? or just buy a ready built one? I can do things like swap out Ram, HDD's and CD drives already....

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
way easier than building a car, unless something goes wrong. much more difficult to break a car when you're putting it together
iank

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Easy enough, 1-2hours work max, I've built 5 over the years.

Only bit where you really have to be extra careful is putting the heatsink on the processor, the rest of it is screwing components into the case and making sure you plug the connectors in the right way round (which it sounds like you have already done ). The only problem comes If it doesn't work first time, as you do have a problem working out which bit is broken.

I'd avoid mesh by the way they have a rather poor reputation.

whitestu

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Dead easy

Built the one I'm typing this on in fact.

Stu

ReMan

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
One area where you might gain from a pre-built is with the software.
If the bundled software is actually stuff you want and will use then you could save a lot of money, look at the price of MS Office for instance
If you are happy to tinker and aquire your own software then go for it and build one, its about as hard as, well nothing really, if you can use a screwdriver thats it hardware wise!

Jasper

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, and how do I find out what components I need, what are best for what I want, etc etc....

As for software, the only thing I need it XP, the rest I can get 'elsewhere'

[Edited on 24/10/06 by Jasper]

Catpuss

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Its pretty easy to do.

I would buy memory from Crucial (www.crucial.com/uk) as they are good for service and quality at decent prices too.

Get a good quality PSU don't go for the cheapest for the power. Get something that is not going to cause problems later (such as random game lock ups due to the graphics card not getting a good enough power feed).

Make sure your cooling is adequate too.

As a basis, go for at least a gig of memory (espesh if you plan to use vista in the future). Look at a CPU just below state of the art (so you arn't paying a premium for a couple of % performance improvement).

Something like a GeForce 7600 card (I have a 6600GT which is more then enough). Look at around 150 mark for a graphics card, again just below state of the art.

I would go for a decent Creative Labs sound card for home theater at least (say 80 quid at a guess).

Your monther board will be based on your CPU choice. I would personally go Intel for CPU as past experiences have always been better with Intel. Certainly I've found the cost of cooling for AMD CPUS has eaten up a chunk of the price difference. May not be the same these days though.

Say 100 to 200 gig SATA hard drive (or a couple of 80-100 gig drives) if you want to keep movies on HDD its useful.

If you can swap out bits you can build. The only bit is getting the motherboard and CPU installed without bodging it. Just take anti static precautions (i.e. don't lay it all out on a nylon carpet) and you should be mostly OK.

After its all running for a while zip tie all your power cables up neatly it will improve cooling and help if you do need to open it up.

ceebmoj

posted on 24/10/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
for good on line prices check out

www.scan.co.uk
www.microdirect.co.uk

I have no conection with the above but thay do seem to have good prices and can supply evry thging you need

Marcus

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
PC building is fairly simple. I, too, watched Gadget show last night, BUT didn't like the way he was building PC with no earth strap!
If you're doing that, put the PSU in first and plug it in (don't turn on at socket though!) Then touch the case occasionally.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
For picking components it depends on what you need it for £1400 buys a really good spec, but where you spend the money depends what you are doing.

Have a look at these:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Full_Systems.html

I'd suggest something like a "Titan" Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 System (FS-000-OK) for a detailed spec, which would leave you enough for a decent mouse/keyboard/monitor.

(I've never had any problems with AMD, but I'd pick a Nvidia graphics card over ATI if you ever want to experiment with Linux)

p.s. while I've only had good luck buying from overclockers others have had problems with returns.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
be aware of overclockers.co.uk
good kit, but they do not recognise you have rights under the distance selling regualtions. unless you actually take them to court

EDIT sorry didn't read the above post fully before i posted.

[Edited on 24/10/06 by liam.mccaffrey]

bimbleuk

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
www.pcnextday.co.uk get pretty good reviews for pre-built PCs.

For components try:

www.overclockers.co.uk (no issues so far)
www.aria.co.uk
www.dabs.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk
www.ebuyer.co.uk

For research try www.tomshardware.com or www.anandtech.com and get reading.

I couldn't count how many PCs I've built over the last 15 years!

[Edited on 24/10/06 by bimbleuk]

James

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Thanks guys, and how do I find out what components I need, what are best for what I want, etc etc....

As for software, the only thing I need it XP, the rest I can get 'elsewhere'

[Edited on 24/10/06 by Jasper]

http://www.tomshardware.com/

is your friend for reviews and the like.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

DaveFJ

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have built hundreds of systems of the years and it really is very simple.

The biggest problem these days is ordering compatible components.

Start with a Processor that fits your needs and pocket.

then find a motherboard that accepts it. You must make sure the motherboard has the right socket number, for instance you will find that an AMD64 is available in at least 3 different types to fit different sockets!

Next up is memory, read VERY carefully the specs for the motherboard you ahve chosen to ensure you get the correct memory to fit the board....

Graphics cards are much of a muchness these days unless you are into some very serious gaming. I would look for something between £100 and £200 BUT make sure it has WDDM compatible drivers available and an absolute minimum of 128Mb memory.
Personally I tend to try and buy the graphics card from the same manufacturer as the motherboard as this seems to reduce compatability issues.

The watchword for anyone building or upgrading a machine right now is Vista! (the new version of windows if you hadn't heard). Vista requires a pretty high spec machine but if you are building a machine in the near future it is likely you will want to run Vista as your OS. It is available now as a free time limited beta and will go on sale early in the new year (if not sooner). From a 'behind the scenes' view it is a huge step forward and well worth it BUT it does require a GOOD machine to live up to it's hype. you will need the min spec graphics card I mentioned above to run the new interface - and without the new interface some of the components like DVD maker stop working!

My personal MIN spec for a new machine build would be:

Athlon 64 3000 or Intel equivalent
suitable motherboard for above(not the cheapest!)
1Gb DDR2 mem (matched pair of 512Mb's)
256 Mb WDDM PCI-express graphics
500 Watt low noise PSU (decent quality)
100Gb Sata2 HDD
Soundblaster Audigy sound card
Dual layer DVD writer
Windows Vista!

others will no doubt disagree but that's my personal opinion.

HTH

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

James

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
PC building is fairly simple. I, too, watched Gadget show last night, BUT didn't like the way he was building PC with no earth strap!
If you're doing that, put the PSU in first and plug it in (don't turn on at socket though!) Then touch the case occasionally.

Yeah, agreed. Without earthing you'll degrade the silicon chips with static.

So keep that damn cat away from you stuff!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

britishtrident

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
These days to build a pc is a waste of time and money, it isn't difficult but you will end up paying twice the cost for the same kit.
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I built my very first one at the start of the year, its an absolute monster, watercooled and everything!! Cost me £1200 in total, though now I suppose you could build it for half that the way prices fall. If you need any help u2u I'll help you out if I can.
Regards
Matt

Catpuss

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
My personal MIN spec for a new machine build would be:

Athlon 64 3000 or Intel equivalent
suitable motherboard for above(not the cheapest!)
1Gb DDR2 mem (matched pair of 512Mb's)
256 Mb WDDM PCI-express graphics
500 Watt low noise PSU (decent quality)
100Gb Sata2 HDD
Soundblaster Audigy sound card
Dual layer DVD writer
Windows Vista!

others will no doubt disagree but that's my personal opinion.

HTH

Nope, pretty much what I'd go for too. I've used the Audigy for music recording (using Cubase Audio, not the cheapo edition). Certainly these days PSU is becomming more and more ciritical and yep, forgot to mention myself about WDDM and 256 on graphics card.

I'd say look at the crucial website memory conif as they gaurantee compatibility that way (IIRC dabs use the same one and probably just source through crucial).

The biggest problems with self build are OS and warranty. If you are buying the OS then get an OEM with the motherboard or CPU to cut the cost down. Warranty is pretty much down to you to diagnose the problem then sort out replacements after. If you have no problems diagnosing then thats cleared up too.

One option is to buy all parts from one supplier & pay the extra bit (usually 25 to 50 quid) for them to build and test. This way you have less hassle fighting over what component is faulty for a warranty.

With Vista comming out motherboards are due to change (if not already) to have Flash memory slots on board for quick disk access caches. It may be worth looking in to this too.

Jasper

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I also don't need to worry about monitor mouse or keyboard as I have these thanks to Dells amazing delivery service where they seem to send two of everything
flak monkey

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Its a doddle. Built about 10 pcs in the last 4 or 5 years. You cant go wrong most of the time.

Make sure you buy well known brands to avoid any hardware compatability issues (though these are few and far between these days). Use AMD CPUs as for the money you will not beat them for performance, Intel CPUs are horribly overpriced IMO.

You dont need an earth strap to build a PC. I have never used one, just make sure that you arent sitting on the carpet when you build it, and you make good use of the anti static bags you get with all the bits and dont pic up parts by touching the connectors (you shouldnt do this anyway as you create an oxide layer on the surface of the connector!). Never had a problem doing this... If you are really paranoid then earthstarps are only a couple of quid.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DaveFJ

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to leave PCs plugged into the mains when working on them but switched off at the socket. this way the earth is still connected. Then when working with sensitive components like memory I try to keep the skin of my wrist/forearm in conatct with the chassis...

It's not ideal but it is better than nothing.....

Dave

Jasper

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I was gonna use Scan.com, same as he used on Gadget Show. Spoke to a chap there who said he would happily go through the whole set-up with me when ordering to make sure I get the right kit.

I was thinking more on the lines of Dual Core Intel, 2Mb ram, 300 Gig HDD, good graphics card, Vista ready motherboard etc etc

iank

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Takes me back, my first homebuild was a Scan (you used to be able to go in and they'd get the stuff off the shelf while you waited).

Demon machine for the time 486SX33 with 8M of ram, when the mainstream made do with 4M

Peteff

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a dvb tv card in it as well so you can use it as a pvr and burn to dvd. It's a piece of cake building them as long as all you components are compatible. Graphics cards are the expensive part and whatever you get will be out of date next week so don't go mad on it just get something to do what you need. Don't forget to earth yourself to something before you start, I know one person who knackered a memory module before it got used.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DaveFJ

posted on 24/10/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
just for a bit of one-up-manship

my first homebuild PC was a 286 16Mhz with 1Mb ram and 128K? graphics oh and a 40Mb HDD

Dave

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.