Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What size rivet?
Dave Bailey

posted on 24/10/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
What size rivet?

Going to use 3mm rivets for my ally panels on my velocity.... Anyone think these are to small? Plan to go 3mm rivet every 70mm

Dave B

flak monkey

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
For which panels?

For the floor on mine I used 4mm closed end rivets.

I see no reason why 3mm isnt enough for interior panels etc. they arent strutural at the end of the day (or the begining for that matter...)

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RazMan

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If they are stainless they should be ok - alluminium rivets might not pull tight enough. You are using PU adhesive too right? In either case I would use large headed 4-5mm on the floor panels.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used 1/8 (3.5mm) rivets on mine, but every 40mm, and a continuous bead of tiger seal to back them up, and at at each extremity of the ally sheets, a 20mm headed 5mm ally rivet to deter shearing. 70mm sems a bit sparce.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RichardK

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
3mm on panels should be fine, would use 4.8 on floor though.

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Bailey

posted on 24/10/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a welded floor so no probs there......

thanks
Dave B

JackNco

posted on 25/10/06 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
wouldn't bother riveting that then

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

zoom

posted on 25/10/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I hate rivets
zetec7

posted on 25/10/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to use flush, solid aircraft rivets...they look fantastic, and much stronger than pop rivets. Expensive tools required, though...
madman280

posted on 26/11/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how one would do solid rivits into the square tube. I just can't figure how one could blind rivit them without drilling holes in the top of the tube.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.