Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Full roll cage
ELO

posted on 16/11/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Full roll cage

Hi folks,

Just beginning to build my chassis and am seriously considering a full roll cage - better safe than sorry...

I am contructing the chassis myself (well, with a friend whos welding I can trust!) but am thinking of buying the roll cage.

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

Cheers,
ed

donut

posted on 16/11/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
MK Engineering http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/ Talk to Martin Keenan.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whittlebeast

posted on 16/11/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bend one up and start bracing it. Remember you have to get in and out.

AW

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ewan

posted on 16/11/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
have alook at the one Mac1 do on the Worx, it looks great in white.
indykid

posted on 16/11/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ewan
have alook at the one Mac1 do on the Worx, it looks great in white.

great in white, but not a nice cage

Martin (MK Engineering) makes the best looking cage this side of the Caged caterham one.

for pics, look at fozzie's car, or mine come to think of it

tom

ELO

posted on 16/11/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the input guys.

I like the idea of a coloured cage (ie not black), I think I'll have to contact Mk soon...

ed

JoelP

posted on 16/11/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
a cage is a serious thing if you intend to race. For my next car i intend to design it around a good cage, rather than making a chassis and adding one on. It might be worthwhile to have a close look at the locost chassis and see how it can be improved, and incorporate a good cage in the process. Most important thing IMHO is keeping your head low, ie a low seat, as having a tall cage looks daft, adds unnecessary weight and also extra drag.

May also be worth bringing the cage all the way to the base to provide some side protection, and using it 'stressed' with the suspension hanging off it. Just a thought anyway...

whittlebeast

posted on 16/11/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I just finished the floor of my new Locost. THe next thing to go in is the cage. Then I start on the upper frame rails. This and triangles is how I go to 10000 ft-lbs/deg

AW

[Edited on 16/11/06 by whittlebeast]

worX

posted on 17/11/06 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cage

ELO (and indykidd)

the mac1 cage in white was built specifically to owners spec to enable easy in/out of the car.
when comparing MK & MAC1 they are virtually the same for price of roll cage, yet I know who I would go with when you take customer service and completion dates into consideration.
I have tried to find a photo I have of their car prepared for a college (it has an orange chassis and cage) contact them and ask for a photo as it's a really good looking cage, and is obviously contributory to chassis stiffness and (obviousy) safety...
cheers,
Steve.

[Edited on 17/11/06 by worX]

marc laptop

posted on 17/11/06 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just beginning to build my chassis and am seriously considering a full roll cage - better safe than sorry...

is the car for competition use or is it just for safety on a road car as that will have some impact on materials used, cost and design especially if you are wanting an rac certificate

best regards

marc

ELO

posted on 17/11/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
The cage is for my own piece of mind. I have no intention of racing, just want to stay alive if anything goes wrong!

At first I didn't like the idea of a cage - I'm still to see one I think actually improves the look of the car. But then I got thinking about my own safety and realised that looks aren't everything!

ed

C10CoryM

posted on 17/11/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
One point to bring up is the street VS track idea. Cages are far safer on the track because you have a tight 4-6 point harness, and a helmet (hopefully with hans or similar). However, on the street you might find them to be less so. Using loose harness' or seatbelts a collision can send your head into the halo. W/o a helmet that can be messy (even with good padding). Its always a gamble which situation you are going to encounter and which will be safer. Personally for street use I prefer a sturdy rollbar and knee bar over a cage, but thats only my preference.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

polus

posted on 18/11/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think this rollcage is the best Ive seen (In terms of looking 'at one' with the car):
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ben_marriott/

..although to add some kind of side protection wouldnt be a bad idea.

Im a wannabe seven builder/owner and would like to know the best ways of improving safty should the worst happen (obviously you cant live your life petrified of living it, and using your noggin to drive in such a way to minimise the risks is a good start but these things do happen).

I agree however you never know whats around the corner and cant prepare for every situation.

*Oh and IMO its probably best to build a cage compliant for racing. You might change your mind and having to re-do it would be a pain.

[Edited on 18/11/06 by polus]

ashtal

posted on 23/11/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got some more pics of cages ? Not really seen many cars with them one, think they look smart. Need to choose one now !
Volvorsport

posted on 23/11/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.