Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: i've jumped now what......
ab54666

posted on 24/11/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
i've jumped now what......

Well, now it's decided it's an Indy it's now time to start planning!

Does anyone have a list of ALL parts to build an Indy - less the interior (i.e. seats, carpets etc etc)

Then I can begin to price up what i'll buy new and what not!

Also I see MK do two sets, the starter and deluxe.

Looking at the deluxe although £1k dearer seems the one to go for? as most of the parts will need to be purchased anyway.

And i'm definately in the bonnert Buldge camp - how is everyone else, to buldge or not to buldge?

Bluemoon

posted on 24/11/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yep go for the deluxe if you want a full set of body work!
zxrlocost

posted on 24/11/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
deluxe deff

donor bit £150
r1 engine £800 hear it running first or buy from Malc yorkshire engines on here
wheels
loads of nuts and bolts
petrol tank

Id put 6k aside for a budget BEC

or £5k aside for a budget CEC

mine cost me £10k
things really add up believe me loads of little things at £50 £70 etc

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ab54666

posted on 24/11/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
deluxe deff

donor bit £150
r1 engine £800 hear it running first or buy from Malc yorkshire engines on here
wheels
loads of nuts and bolts
petrol tank

Id put 6k aside for a budget BEC

or £5k aside for a budget CEC

mine cost me £10k
things really add up believe me loads of little things at £50 £70 etc

Cheers,

If I can get one up and running (car engine) for around £5k i'll be happy, can add to it after that as time goes on. Otherwise, and I know this is cheating! could always buy one for around that price already built and custom to taset.......

But i'm surprised a decent r1 engine is only £800, would it need any attention at that price?

zxrlocost

posted on 24/11/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
no mate youll get an early carb engine for 800 quid with loom etc about 1999 spec

carbs are easier to get going

less wires

the fuel injected r1 has more power but to me you just cant beat the roar power a carb engine gives you

you also cant beat paddle shift 1st gear 60mph

there is some downsides of bike engines but nothing that would bother most people

13,000 rpm

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

graememk

posted on 24/11/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
my advice is to not make a note of everything you buy, that way the other half never finds out what you've spent on a car when she wanted a new kitchen
stevec

posted on 24/11/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Go for the deluxe kit and powder coating.
There is a list of what you get on the MK site.
You need to tell them if you are going Bike or Car because the engine mounting areas are different.

As said hide you outgoings list, mine is on a PC at work.

Steve.

[Edited on 24/11/06 by stevec]

bob

posted on 24/11/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Try and get a drive in a CEC then a BEC,it does pay to make the right choice first.

It is true you can get a CEC up and running for under 5K,and if you do your homework thats with half decent wheels clocks and seats.

Get yourself along to any of the local meets,i'm sure some of the lads out your way will make an effort even this time of year. Put a post in clubs and events mentioning your area and see if anyone fancies a meeting.

and dont forget all the answers are on here too

Hellfire

posted on 24/11/06 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Bob - Try and get a ride in both CEC and BEC Indy's. Even if BEC isn't your thing, at least you'll know you've made the wrong decision by going CEC.

It may be quite a journey for you but I'd suggest a trip up to MK Sportscars on a Saturday morning would be beneficial. Provided the weather was OK, there's usually a good crowd turn up and no doubt you'd get a passenger ride or two and get to ask as many questions as you like.

Phil

greggors84

posted on 24/11/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get mine done for around 5k plus the expense of SVA, registration etc. Which is another £300 say.

Im probably looking at £5500 with all the little bits i have forgotten to account for.

I did mine over quite a period, I started it when just after I joined the site, forgot when that was. But as I was building for so long I picked up bargains on the way. I have had a few sets of wheels, bought some caterham ones for £250, but with the wrong PCD they stuck out too much. Sold them for £350. Eventually bought some OZ ones for £140 with tyres from eBay i think they suit the car much better.

Depends if your in rush or not, I reckon the longer you take the cheaper it is.

Edit:

Forgot to say I built mine with brand new cobra seats, carbon bits everywhere, brand new smiths dials. Nice tuned engine.

I didnt really skimp anywhere. I could have done it for £1k cheaper without really trying, but would have done without some luxurys!

[Edited on 24/11/2006 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

arrybradbury

posted on 24/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
geggors84 - just check your registering date
PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/11/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Also well worth considering is the new MK INDY SPEC-R,its a extra £600,but well worth it in my opinion

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.