Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: twin engines idea
novacaine

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
twin engines idea

just a wild idea i had today, could someone put two engines in a car, one driving the front wheels and one driving the back wheels?

i know jeep did something with two hemi V8's

my concern would be that the front or the rear wheels spinning at a different rate could buggar up the cornering ability of the car?

opinions?

cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

alanr

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
that was what the original mini moke was - a twin engined 4wd
nick205

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Search for info on the Tiger/Z cars twin engined car. 2 bike engines, with one driving front wheels and one driving rear. There's video footage on YouTube of Tiff Needell driving it as well - very potent by all accounts, but very £££ to build.

Also done by Ian Birch @ Dubsport with a twin engined VW Golf - can't remember, but it might have been 2 x VR6 engines in that one.

In short yes you can do it, but it's not simple or cheap that's for certain

iank

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Been done for years with minis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZn65vX_kiw

One also put the last nail in the Cooper F1 team coffin when John Cooper was seriously injured by one back in 1963.

The trick is making sure the gearboxes are synced.

Finally found the 700bhp Corolla, the commentary is brilliant (in its genre)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbcvhCEKIU

[Edited on 17/1/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
just a wild idea i had today, could someone put two engines in a car, one driving the front wheels and one driving the back wheels?

anything can be done given enough time and money.

and why stop at 2? someone on LR forum was considering using a motor boat engine to drive a wheel on each corner!

novacaine

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

and why stop at 2? someone on LR forum was considering using a motor boat engine to drive a wheel on each corner!

that would certainly be ummm ....interesting lol

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Seperate drive systems will not work in practical terms.

Great for wow factor at the pub and car meets (which is fun!! ) but no good to drive I'm afraid.

Why not just use two to drive one pair of wheels like we do in autograss:

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

russbost

posted on 17/1/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Seperate drive systems will not work in practical terms

Sorry Dev, have to beg to differ on that one - mine was a total PITA to engineer, but in practical terms of how it works on the road it is just plain stunning.

Another simple way of getting around the synching of the gearboxes is to use an automatic at one end & a manual at the other - saw this done first about 35 years ago with an autoX special called the "Buffey Mowog" - I wonder where it is now?!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
are yours not mechanically connected though Russ? I thought they were from what i have seen?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
An acquaintance of mine had a Metro with two metro turbo engines/gearboxes etc. and it was certainly quite rapid.

The rear gear change was done with windscreen wiper motors controlled by microswitches mounted on the front gearlever remote.

russbost

posted on 17/1/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dev,
Nope, LH engine drives NSR wheel, RH engine drives OSR wheel. I've had 'em in different gears to each other, even driven home on one engine 3 or 4 times no prob. At SVA they made me fit a cutout to one engine then drive round the test centre with both engines driving & cut one of them hence dragging it along in gear - they were dead disapointed when it still drove in a straight line!
On the road it works much like a LSD - I guess the only major prob would arise if you get one rear wheel in the air!
So far I've not been that brave (or is that stupid?)

[Edited on 17/1/07 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
......eek!

A bit worried about the high speed dynamics of that, not done it myself so i don't know, but I have seen what happens to an autograss car at the startline when one driveshaft breaks (which would be similar to one of your engines dragging badly) and under the high torque load they nearly always twist 90 deg to the track and get hit by another car!

tks

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
i guess

that is because you will need to slide 2 wheels of the front that in dry condition takes much force.. sow with a bit of steering compensation it wont twist.

But what in the wet???
Won“t try it, if you see how fast a leopard tank can turn ( i know it inverses also one wheel) its just the idea..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

russbost

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Re the Leopard tank - I've never tried making one of the rear wheels go backwards whilst the other rotates forwards - suspect it might result in wheelspin rather than rotation!!! LOL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.