Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer finished and tested today
JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer finished and tested today

just thought id mention that ive finally welded up the last bars on my trailer, gave it a bit of a shakedown today at pretty much full load with a crossflow locost on the back (unbraked so 750kgs max all in). I'll stick some photos up later in case anyone wants to see it. Cost so far:

3 tyres £90 odd
3 nice alloys £45
2 750kgs suspension units £80 odd
tow hitch £10
jockey wheel £10
metal around £100

total £335 all new components. Just need to make a chassis plate for it now.

ReMan

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I'd like to see it!
Contemplating my own after being frightened by the price of good ones and amazed at the price ofcrap ones

speedyxjs

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cool
and much cheaper than any new one

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
i got away with using 50x50x3mm tube for the main frame because i originally planned to make it a box trailer, hence it has an upside down W on each side.

This shows the basic triangle, to take force between the hitch and the wheels.

trailer4
trailer4

And this (ignore the diff) shows the front with fillers in the tight angles. God how rusty is that...

[img][/img]

blakep82

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
VERY nice!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
lol, in case you all concluded im a spaktard who cant take proper pictures, those are just the best ones i had in my archive, swmbo is on holiday with the camera. This was it a year ago:

[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=39473&pid=328202[/img]

JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=39473&pid=328202

bollocks to computers, why isnt that one working?

[Edited on 11/3/07 by JoelP]

RichardK

posted on 11/3/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Always nice to know somebody local with a trailer

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alex B

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Galvanising would finish that off nicely.

Alex

JoelP

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking about galvanising, however, i cant imagine it being easy to find a tank that big to dip it in! I dont think it would distort too much either.
andylancaster3000

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
are you running any brakes on this trailer?

Andy.

Peteff

posted on 12/3/07 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
In use it is not permitted to use an unbraked trailer the laden weight of which exceeds 50% of the kerbside weight of the towing vehicle.

What are you towing it with Joel?
Regulations vary according to the towing vehicle, the 750kg design weight is only a maximum after which brakes must be fitted. Unbraked trailers can be evil when they start to wag the dog, I've had one lift the rear wheel of a Landrover when I used to work on the parks and it's really alarming.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

owelly

posted on 12/3/07 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Leeds Galvanising dipped my trailer for £70 IIRC. Cheaper than paint!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
i tow it with a merc sprinter, so no problem with weights etc. Ive had snaking trailers before, so its something i watch out closely for! Might get a stabiliser fitted. That said its very stable at 50/60 and thats all you're meant to do anyway.

Thats a good price for galvanising owelly, might look them up. Does their process remove rust too or do i need to send it to them clean? To be honest its not properly finished yet, it needs flipping to weld underneath and im going to add some fillets to all the top pieces, seeing as they are crucial for strength.

RichardK

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
With Leeds Galv I wouldn't ring em up, just go round the back and ask them there for a price! Prices seem to differ especially when you say you want to pay cash and don't need a receipt!

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

JoelP

posted on 23/3/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
some photos at at last!

The only drawback that i can see now is that the 750kgs trailer axles dont seem too happy with 700kgs sat on them, they've developed loads of camber! Damn ebay cheapies...

[Edited on 23/3/07 by JoelP]

locoboy

posted on 26/3/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Joel,
How you going to get it on and off or even get in and out with the roof and sides on?

ATB
Locoboy

JoelP

posted on 26/3/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
that is currently under review I dont think it will be possible realistically to get a solid roof on it. Its quite easy to get out now, but i think it would need a heavy lifting roof if it were to end up boxed. As for loading, that also needs some work! We got the locost on by jacking the front up and driving it on. I may invest in a 48" jack in future, as its quite tricky atm. With a bec i suspect you could just hold the nose up. Bit much with a cec (thats a crossflow car). Also with no handbrake you need to chock the wheels.

Best solution i have for loading is to have short ramps about 18" long that cant drop below level, so that the rear wheels are onto them before the weight tips it back down. Then you can lower it before the nose weight gets too heavy, rather than having to support the full weight once loaded (currently a bit too heavy at 80kgs).

Bob C

posted on 29/3/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used a lot of ally on mine & stuck a winch on the front, so it's relatively easy (if a little slow) to get the car on & off.
Unbraked, towed by a peugoet 306, it has always been well behaved on the road (so far) though I did put the wheels a little further back than 60/40, and with total weight of car and trailer below 550kg I have a bit of leeway.wrt the rules... + I can manhandle it all quite easily. A hand winch is only a few quid
Bob

PeterW

posted on 29/3/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
that is currently under review I dont think it will be possible realistically to get a solid roof on it. Its quite easy to get out now, but i think it would need a heavy lifting roof if it were to end up boxed. As for loading, that also needs some work! We got the locost on by jacking the front up and driving it on. I may invest in a 48" jack in future, as its quite tricky atm. With a bec i suspect you could just hold the nose up. Bit much with a cec (thats a crossflow car). Also with no handbrake you need to chock the wheels.

Best solution i have for loading is to have short ramps about 18" long that cant drop below level, so that the rear wheels are onto them before the weight tips it back down. Then you can lower it before the nose weight gets too heavy, rather than having to support the full weight once loaded (currently a bit too heavy at 80kgs).

I had a cover made for my mates trailer, which was 17 x 6 x 5 IIRC and it cost £130 + VAT from Covers R Us. Excellent service, and a well made heavy duty cover with shock cords and velcro closers. They manufacture and repair lorry sides etc.

If you sketch them a drawing, they will send you a price back pretty quickly.

Cheers

Pete

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you get it galved, it'll need a shotblast first but they should be able to do that.

Also remember all the box sections that are welded shut need drilling (aftershotblasting or you'll get it full of shot! ) to avoid them becoming round tubes.

Also it will distort, my mate's trailer did, and p155ed him off rather a lot as it was very nice "pre-dip! "

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 29/3/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
im really tempted to build a two tier trailer, with a cylinder to push the top up. Would need brakes and two axles though, which isnt cheap. Especially as i dont need a two tier trailer! However, its one of those tempting projects that id love to do.
chrisg

posted on 29/3/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
That needs a test drive mate!

If you're in Yeovil will you pick the Roadster up for me?

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 29/3/07 by chrisg]

JoelP

posted on 30/3/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
i think it needs some miles under its wheels before doing that! Plus id need indemnity insurance.
phelpsa

posted on 30/3/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very much like the one I had planned, except I was going to have a 1000kg braked axle.

Instead I bought a 4 wheeled trailer off Jon Ison which appears to carry anything you throw at it with no problem! It does wobble a bit at 60 though.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.