Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rated power outputs
Simon Mc

posted on 22/5/02 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Rated power outputs

Does anyone know the rated power output and torque of the standard carbarated 2.0l '205' pinto? (in BHP and Lbs/ft or as i like to call it 'real money')? I only have it in rated DIN ouputs and I hate them.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/5/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does anyone know the rated power output and torque of the standard carbarated 2.0l '205' pinto? (in BHP and Lbs/ft or as i like to call it 'real money')? I only have it in rated DIN ouputs and I hate them.

The HP for the pinto is :

105 carb

115 injected

or its replacement, the dohc 8 valve

125 hp.

If I was using a sierra donor id go for the 125hp.

I used a granada 2.4 V6 that has 135hp and extra weight to go with it!

atb

steve

Simon Mc

posted on 22/5/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have read on chrisg site that the difference in power between carb and injection is related to the head porting in the newer head, rather than the injection system. I am not debating this, however, (and chris your help would be helpfull here) it would seem strange that ford would use a different head on a carb engine as opposed to an injected one when both were in parellel production with the '205' block. I suppose my question is, did the power increase on carb model '205' engines?

Electronics Require Smoke To Work...
You let the smoke out...
It stops working!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/5/02 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have read on chrisg site that the difference in power between carb and injection is related to the head porting in the newer head, rather than the injection system. I am not debating this, however, (and chris your help would be helpfull here) it would seem strange that ford would use a different head on a carb engine as opposed to an injected one when both were in parellel production with the '205' block. I suppose my question is, did the power increase on carb model '205' engines?

I have also read elsewhere (not just Chris's site) that the injection head is 'better'.

The figures I quoted are from the Haynes manual, for sierra, that had both styles fitted at one time.

I cant say what head would be fitted to what carb engine.

However, the biggest factor in using a carb or injection donor is the height of the engine. I *think* the intake chamber (plegnum) on an injection is mounted to the side and does not take up much height. If it does, twin side draft carbs seem to be the best way to get a low bonnet, and extra power.

Seems to me the 'lowest' engine is a crossflow.

Sorry I cant be of greater knowledge!

Steve.

PS.

Ever wondered why thunderbird 2 takes off from Tracy Island on a ramp, but takes off normally from a rescue site? Thats a bigger mystery to me!

locodude

posted on 23/5/02 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All
I believe that the plenum chamber on an injected engine sticks up more than a carb. Check the Dax in Which Kit last year, sticks through the bonnet. There's an article on the Rhocar site on how to modify it to fit. Twin 45's sounds good to me!
Chris PTM
p.s TB2 takes off like that cos it looks cool!

James

posted on 24/5/02 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ever wondered why thunderbird 2 takes off from Tracy Island on a ramp, but takes off normally from a rescue site? Thats a bigger mystery to me!

I believe a Harrier jump jet can't do VTOL with a full fuel load as it just doesn't have the power when it weighs that much. (although the more powerful American version may be able to I'm not sure).
Maybe TB2 suffers from the same constraints- once it's flown to a rescue site it's used enough fuel to be light enough for VTOL.

James

James

posted on 24/5/02 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
It's really sad that I bothered to think about that isn't it?
Oh well, reminds me of some discussions I've seen on the web/newsnet where people discuss *endlessly* things like which is better Star Wars or Star Trek at technical level. By that I mean: "Which would win in a fight USS Enterprise or Star Destroyer?" or "Borg Cube versus Death Star" sort of thing.
People argue about that sort of thing even more than TOL!

James

Liam

posted on 24/5/02 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
WHAT!!!

Enterprise VS Star Destroyer?!! Jesus christ. Would a Star Destroyer reduce the Enterprise to vapour in about 5 seconds (cos it's arse-loads bigger and has hundreds more guns)? Er...do I look gay in my photo? Question answered. Come on.

And how many planets do you see Borg Cubes blowing up? What a frikkin stupid question. Next.

Ur...I mean..that's, like, what I've heard. Wouldn't know much about it myself - not interested.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m_rayfield

posted on 24/5/02 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
well Liam, as gay as u do look in your photo, I'm tempted to start a large ruck over this.
Don't get me wrong - I'm a Star Wars fan as big as the next guy, but....

To be honest mate, I've got better things to do!

Argument brought a smile to my revision plagued countenance tho - cheers guys!!

Liam

posted on 24/5/02 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hey M Rayfield - just looked at your profile - you wouldn't be studying at Sheffield Uni would you? That's where I graduated from last year. What you studying?

Dont suppose you could post me a large chicken kebab and chips from the Broomhill Friery, could you, and say hi to Tony for me? Christ I miss that place.

Or are you a Northern Sole boy?

Or do you not know what the hell I'm talking about and wish me to shut up?

Good luck in the exams, by the way.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/5/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I wasnt expecting a serious reply........but I recon that would be bang on the nail!! Well thought out!

atb

steve

I believe a Harrier jump jet can't do VTOL with a full fuel load as it just doesn't have the power when it weighs that much. (although the more powerful American version may be able to I'm not sure).
Maybe TB2 suffers from the same constraints- once it's flown to a rescue site it's used enough fuel to be light enough for VTOL.

James

m_rayfield

posted on 25/5/02 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Liam,

Yeah - I'm at sheffield uni. I too will miss the sweet smell of the Broomhill Friery once it's all over. That place is easily the best chippy I've ever been to.
I'm nearly done with a Physics and Astronomy degree which sounds a lot more interesting than it is. It's a fat lot of good for locost know-how....
What did you do?

I'll give Tony a smile and a wave for you.

Mark

Liam

posted on 26/5/02 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
I did Electrical Engineering. Ha ha ha ha ha haaa ha ha aaa.

Ha ha haaa haaah ha hah aha haaaa

Ha Hh ha h aha ha haaahaaa haaaaaa.

Seriously - if you could post that chicken meat and chips... Even a Balti King would do - I'm that desperate.

What year are you? Is Goodwin finished yet? Do they really only have four squash courts now?

Keep on revising...

Liam

Simon Mc

posted on 26/5/02 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I did a year at hallam as well doing electronics, had an great laugh the time i was there, but think im still suffering from alcohol poisioning several years arter the event! (Although the weekend top up dosnt help)
By the way star trek is better for technology, star wars is better for raw power.... nuff said.

Electronics Require Smoke To Work...
You let the smoke out...
It stops working!

James

posted on 28/5/02 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
OFFFFFF TOPPPICCCCC

Sorry to everyone for this....
I just can't help reply to it...

quote:
WHAT!!!

Enterprise VS Star Destroyer?!! Jesus christ. Would a Star Destroyer reduce the Enterprise to vapour in about 5 seconds (cos it's arse-loads bigger and has hundreds more guns)? Er...do I look gay in my photo? Question answered. Come on.

And how many planets do you see Borg Cubes blowing up? What a frikkin stupid question. Next.

I know full well that continuing this (Off Topic! - sorry ChrisW) thread is really very foolish but somehow I can't help myself...
Bear in mind I'm a fan of SW far more than Iam a ST fan. Also I'm only reporting *some* of what I remember from reading in newsgroups I read over 4 years ago. I have never taken part in these discussions I'm only paraphrasing but here atleast is some of the essence of those arguments:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Star Destroyer versus Enterprise:

ST fan: There was an episode of ST that had the Enterpise attacked by a ship with "lasers" and they said that this ship with lasers would be unable to damage their shields.
Therefore the Enterprise is immune to lasers.

Obviously this then prompted further simultaneous threads over whether a Star Destroyer actually had lasers (they're called Turbolasers) or whether they were something else.

Blah Blah Blah ad infinitum..

Borg Cube versus Death Star:

SW fan: DS will blow BC sky high.
ST fan: DS is only designed to shoot stationary (relatively anyway) objects and would never be able to manouevre significantly fast enough to 'catch' BC.
SW fan: Yes it can- DS destroyed ships in RoTJ!
ST fan: They were ship trapped between DS and Imperial fleet- not much movement.
Blah Blab

ST fan: anyway, BC could shield against DS 'laser' or adapt to it.
SW fan: BC would not get chance to adapt to DS laser as would get blown away in 1 shot.
ST fan: BC would probably know frequency of Imperial laser from having got other shots from other ships therefore BC shields would already be adapted to compensate.

Blah Blah Blah ad infinitum...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, my point is, is that these arguments go on for longer and longer with both sides reaching deeper into their Star Wars/Trek technical guides and re-watching old episodes for optimum factual help for ever...

As I said I've never taken part in this sort of discussion and I think I've just proved I'm a really sad geek for remembering it though.....

James

Liam

posted on 28/5/02 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus christ, guess I asked for it. How I'd love to be put in a room full of such types, armed with a shotgun...

Yeah, sorry bout this ChrisW. Just to stay on topic then, what exactly is the rated power output of a Star Destroyer Turbolaser?

James

posted on 28/5/02 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Off the top of my head I can't tell you- but I know a man who can...

Will find out for you as I can tell you're interested.

James

mark_rayfield

posted on 28/5/02 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
erm, I'm gonna have a stab at both the topics that aren't....

I'm just finishing my 3rd year up here, and Goodwin has been re-vamped and taken over by a contractor. This all results in it being cheaper to buy Ponds Forge than to get a years membership - bloody rip off.

As for the Star Wars vs Trekkies rubbish:

GET OUT MORE!!

Really guys - sort it out and have a run about it the sun once in a while !

Rant over...

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.