Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina Mk3 Restoration Project??
MattCraneCustoms

posted on 15/4/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina Mk3 Restoration Project??

A friend of a friend has a cortina mk3 in a lockup, which I have been thinking will be great for my parts. If I don't get a move on it will end up getting torched by chavs, so I went over to have a look to see what its like, and its the first time I've really seen one, and I've fallen in love. Thinking now of doing it up as a restoration project, 2l zetec swap etc. Would make an excellent next car . . has anyone on here got any experience of cortina restoration? such as feasibility of parts and trim etc? Also how much would a vinyl roof retrim cost? any ideas? its a 2000e with GXL light conversion, great profile shape to it. So much for the seven . . .
Any help or advice would be great.
Cheers
Matt

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/4/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean mate. I love them too. Them and the Anglias and sit up and beg pops. Restore it and sort out the rear end, chuck them leaf springs. I'd love to.

mark chandler

posted on 15/4/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
MKIII cortina does not have leaf springs ! live axle on coils.
UncleFista

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Jealous as chuff

I'm looking out for a Cortina, but I'd settle for a cheap MK4-5.

Here's a nice MK3 with a standard Zetec conversion.

Here's a great site for Cortina owners, plenty of restorations going on, most body panels are available.

Good luck and keep us informed...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Ketchup

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a mk1 consul 1.5, its gonna be my next project after i enjoy the summer in the velocity, im not too sure if i want to restore it as its not in bad nick, and its complete, or bastardise it and drop in a v8
oadamo

posted on 15/4/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
i went to the scrapyard and they had i there the guys son had scraped it in when he was on his holiday it was mint.i went back the next day with the £400 and he had sold it after i said i would have it. i was well p***ed off
adam

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
well I'm building on a student budget, and I've been beginning to think that a classic tintop restoration would be far more use to me than a 7 style car, much as I'd love one, but having something that I can drive through the winter (and still being RWD) would be great. Cheers for the links, I'll carry on looking. It was a massively popular car in its day, so I wouldn't have thought restoring one would be that difficult. . . .
Cheers
Matt

rayward

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
buy practical classics this month, has a massive feature/buying guide on the cortina

Ray

MattCraneCustoms

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I've been reading through the buyers guide in it, it says that parts for them in terms of trim and what not can be a sod to get. I wouldn't have though this was so, considering it was apparently the most popular car in britain in its day? And theres plenty of companies manufacturing other parts . . just warrants a lot more digging I suppose, but at least it would make it challenging . . .
Cheers
Matt

trogdor

posted on 17/4/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
ford trim and panels are notorious difficult to get hold of, but that said as you say if you look hard enough you should be able to find what you need.

i think the mark 3 cortina has had a surge in popularity from being in a life on mars.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.