Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: hello
steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
hello

hey everyone just found this website and i thought i would sign up and say hi, i have just started building the haynes roadster nearly finished the space frame things are going ok ish but the book does leave you thinking sometimes, anyway hello hope everyone is good and im sure ill be picking peoples brains in the near future

steve

graememk

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
hi and welcome

ecosse

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is this your first scratch build or have you been there before?

Cheers

Alex
PS
Oh, and welcome

Jon Ison

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome too a wealth of information, oh and a bunch of pancakes..................

Welcome.

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
hi cheers for the welcomes, yeah its my first scratch build but i did spend 8 years in structual steel and a fully skilled welder fabricator so im not having a large amount of problems, only problems so far have been mis information really in the book
steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chris also while on the subject do u know what thickness tubing is used for them as it only gives an external measurement no internal from what i can see
chrisg

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
It's made a little easier because you can't get different thicknesses of seamless tube - from memory the 25mm is 2.0mm thick and the 19mm is 1.6mm.

hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
i went to my old company and they gave me a vast array off different thickness for the 19 and they gave me 2 sizes for the 25 which i cant remember off the top of my head
chrisg

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one.

Our supplier doesn't stock anything else, but 19mm/1.6 and 25mm/2.0. so they're what we used.

Anything with this or a thicker wall should be fine.

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 18/4/07 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
are u the chris that built the roadster then?
chrisg

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate, wrote the book, built the car, got the T shirt!

(Actually I haven't got a tee shirt yet!)

cheers

Chris

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
top book mate it was that revised book that convinced me to build one, few bits that have knocked me for six but otherwise fantastic, as your here tho can i use the cortina uprights i have got on the roadster
ecosse

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve4179
only problems so far have been mis information really in the book

Ooops, time for the second edition already Chris?
Whatever the errors are I'm sure they can't be as bad as the original book

Cheers

Alex
PS
You gonna put some pics up of the progress?

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
its only simple little things in the cutting list few bits that are marked one of when there is more and few bits that are in there as drawn instead of opposite hand nothing major oh i have pics but dunno how to post em so i guess not lol

[Edited on 18/4/07 by steve4179]

chrisg

posted on 18/4/07 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve4179
top book mate it was that revised book that convinced me to build one, few bits that have knocked me for six but otherwise fantastic, as your here tho can i use the cortina uprights i have got on the roadster

I've not tried the Cortina uprights yet so I don't really know, the suspension was designed around the Sierra upright so I would have thought that some alterations to the wishbones would be needed to correct caster/camber/toe etc.

Please send me any mistakes you find in the book, I've got a (small) list (Mostly speelink mistacks) but we're hoping to correct stuff in the iminent re-print.

Cheers

Chris

steve4179

posted on 18/4/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
ive marked everything ive found mate like i said its only things like opposite and as drawn bits few differences in length and one offs when there should have been more give me an email or something and ill right down everything i have found. my frame is nearly finished so cant see me finding many more
chrisg

posted on 18/4/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Click the email button mate!

down there |
|
|
\/

Cheers

Chris

steve4179

posted on 25/4/07 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
chassis build is now finished and ive emailed you chris hope it helps
chrisg

posted on 26/4/07 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
It does - thanks mate!

Cheers

Chris

steve4179

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
did any of it help out chris?
chrisg

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate it did, I'd already picked up most of the stuff, but I'm onto the thing about the numbers of each tube required, we thought that it was apparent how many of each tube there should be but for good practice the amounts should be with the drawings and I'm going to correct it.

cheers

Chris

steve4179

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
cool happy it helped and just remeber its steve lee from dorset to put in the thanks list lol

finshed my chassis yesterday just needs welding, so im sure ill be picking ur brains in the near future about next parts of the build

chrisg

posted on 29/4/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looking foward to it mate!

Cheers

Chris

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.