Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which chassis (this is doing my nut in)
markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
which chassis (this is doing my nut in)

hi all, im another newbie with another stupid question, ive just had a look at "Mcsorley Seven Build Homepage", and now im even more confused, after comparing the drawings on this web site, and ron champion book, i have noticed a difference in some of the measurements, now i know there is a good reason for this, but i cant work out why.

will some one please explain to this newbie,

regards
mark

nib1980

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
The mc sorley is designed to be a bigger chassis, to take different running gear, and the er larger frame. Plus there are some error in the original book.

I'm sure someone more enlitenghted (spelling) will be along to explain in more detail

hope that helps

DIY Si

Probably because the McSorley ones are accurate! The book chassis is not renowned for it's dimensional accuracy.
There is also a +442, which is 4 inches longer, 4 longer and 2 taller, to accomdate bigger folk, and the larger twin cam engines commonly used.

[Edited on 22/4/07 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

RichardK

Just different designs mate, nothing more than that, I'm building a 442 which is 4" longer and wider than normal.

Queue Joel to lower the tone

Any way welcome, I'm sure you'll find what you need here during your build.

Regards

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

The reason for the difference between the McSorley measurements and those in ROn Champions books is that the McSorley plans correct the book mistakes!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
now the fog is clearing, so if go by the web site, i should have any problems, with peices not fitting.
RichardK

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
None at all mate, go for it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
chassis

would just like to say, this site the dogs danglies, and thanks to those that reply, its making things a lot clearer to me
cheers

nitram38

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the McSorley chassis have proper castor settings aswell?

markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
chassis

so if i use Mcsorley's measurements, do i have to change the wishbones, or can i build as per the book, oh i intend to use modified sierra hubs/uprights
RichardK

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to use the sierra as your donor, have a look at the new Haynes Build your own sportscar on a budget book written by Chris Gibbs, isbn no 9781844253913 which I believe is also accurate and specifically written for the sierra running gear. It worth a read anyway just for other bits like pedal box plans anyway.

Have fun

Regards

Rich

markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
chassis

was thinking of using a capri as a donor, but wanted to use sierra front end as they're easier to source
DIY Si

posted on 22/4/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to use the capri uprights? I have no idea what they look like, so that may be a silly question, but if you have a complete capri..... Or do you just have the axle? If just the axle, use what ever you can get for the lowest amount of cash and make/buy the bones to suit, as msot of the major kit manufacturers do bones for both 'Tina and sierra.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

markf

posted on 22/4/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
chassis

to be honest,i think it will come down to cost, sierra or capri, which ever is cheapest when its game onbut i am swaying towards the capri as a doner
Bob C

posted on 22/4/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Re: yr question about castor - the mcsorley plans don't include suspension pickups so caster issues are unresolved.
You will find (hopefully not too late like I did....) that the position of the FU tubes abd the upright L tubes is best NOT finalised until a front suspension jig has been made. Just tack 'em
Bob

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.