Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gone slightly wrong
d8mok

posted on 10/5/07 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
gone slightly wrong

i've had my english back axle powder coated and its blown through on the back of the diff casing.

The holes are about the size of a average ball bearing. what do i do? shall i buy a new axle? or have a plate welded over the holes and try and get the sand out of the axle?

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
You can get get new diff covers to weld on but can't remember where from. Maybe someone else will know before my memory returns

britishtrident

posted on 10/5/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
istr I did warn you --

I would suggest brazing (bronze welding) or silver soldering the patch plates on rather mig welding,

Provided the diff was't fitted at the time a pressure washer followed by drying out and blowing out with an airline should get the grit out. Be aware the tube part of the axle has oil baffles that will trap grit.

After cleaning paint the axle internally with an ol ressistant paint.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

d8mok

posted on 10/5/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
i reckon im gonna get it welded up and try and clean it out. I thought a airline would clean it out ok? why do i need to paint inside the axle? or do u mean paint where its been welded?
jollygreengiant

posted on 10/5/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
So that ANY particulate that IS left inside the case WILL or should be trapped & held by the paint so as NOT to cause you problems in the future.

Enjoy

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

d8mok

posted on 10/5/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
oh right. But how do i paint inside the actual axle itself becasue its sealed up?
d8mok

posted on 11/5/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
i can quite easily sort the welding but i'm concerned about how to get the grit out of the axle.

can any1 pls help me out?

if i'm correct- i should weld up the holes first. Then blast it through with a jet wash- then blow through with air line

but how do i make sure all the sand is out?

some1 said paint it on the inside but i'm confused how i do this? as the axle is enclosed apart from where the diff bolts in.

cheers

d8mok

posted on 11/5/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
[img][/img]
Angel Acevedo

posted on 11/5/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would remove the complete cover, clean, paint inside as suggested, then weld new cover.
IMHO

Maybe fit removable cover in case you want accesibility to switch gear ratios (????)

[Edited on 11/5/07 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.