Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: can fuel tank be part of chassis?
02GF74

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
can fuel tank be part of chassis?

just wondering, if one were to make a space frame then take some pieces of steel and weld over a box sectin of chassis with some end bits to make it air tight, could that be use to store petrol?
balidey

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I don't like the sound of that, any chassis flex or 'accident' will probably split the joins. But how about fitting a bag tank in the cavity?
3GEComponents

posted on 11/5/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I don't like the sound of that, any chassis flex or 'accident' will probably split the joins. But how about fitting a bag tank in the cavity?

That's how the GT40's tanks were done

02GF74

posted on 11/5/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
As ^^^^ said, should be no different than a separatey mounted tank.

I did consider the flexing but it would be hanging off the main chassis, like on GT40 so shouldn;t have any driving force (engine/suspension) going through those memberm at mose supporting some body work.

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/5/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the safest option to me, you could use the internal triangulation as an unusual swirl pot type device.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scudracer

posted on 11/5/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, IMHO even if you do something like what Buell Motorcycles have done, putting fuel in the side sections of the frame, there wouldn't be enough for a full sized automobile. Also, flexing, safety, etc. ... to many negatives to pursue this idea, to me.

Shameless-ad-supported-blog-that-belongs-to-my-friend plug - http://www.sevenbuilder.com & http://www.bikervoodoo.com

drlloyd

posted on 11/5/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting thought, if I were to pursue the idea I would also consider the possibility of corrosion and hence fuel contamination. Would this not be easier to limit in a basic fuel tank?
MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
No more possibility of corrosion that a fabricated steel tank IMO. I don't think the OP wants to fill up chassis tubes with petrol, but simply integrate a conventional steel fuel tank into the frame.
iank

posted on 11/5/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you plan to do it and SVA it I'd suggest calling your local station to see what they say.
It would be a bitch to change once constructed.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.