Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshaft CV joints
StevieB

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshaft CV joints

Hi all.

Some time ago I took apart my donor driveshafts and CV joints for a thorough degreasing.

I found that the joints are now a bit stiff in places (in fact, get totally jammed) and the ball bearings have dropped out a couple of times.

Is this normal for CV joints when there's no grease on them or is the situation unrecoverable.

The other options are new CV's or new driveshafts (not much difference in price for the full driveshaft rather than just new CV's)

Cheers

Steve

aerobrick

posted on 3/6/07 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
The reason for them not working IE jammed is because when regrease and put the bearings back in the cage etc what happens is the cage always trys to slip into the easiest place .

The problem is thats the jammed way what you need to do is this .

Get the cvs into the jammed position then mark the inner and outer facings also the bearing cage as well then undo it.

Then redo but so not allow the cage to click home you then rotate the inner and outer bits so that the inner part and cage is 90 deg round then slowly force cage into the outer facings you will realise that the balls will only go in certain slots then using a soft mallet give it a sharp tap , it should all click home.

If it clicks in easy its jammed if you have to tap it in it should be right always check for movement afterwards.

Hope this helps.

StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'll just pack them out with grease and see what happens!
road warrior

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
It is very easy to get the joints one notch out when reassembling them. This is very difficult to explain but the grooves form a small ridge where they are closest together and the space in between the groove pairs is larger. The centre part that goes on the shaft has the same thing. It is pretty much as Aerobrick explains but I find the best practice is to use big notch to little and vice versa. If you get big to big it will jam up. It should move freely with or without grease.

I found a pick here so you will see what I mean:

If you assemble it like this it should be ok.
You shouldn't need a hammer as this can damage the cage if you go too hard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Now I see it!

Just checked and the one joint that actually seems to work matches the photo - the other three are either stuck fast or fall apart of their own accord!

Cheers guys!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.