Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: dodgy chassis diagram please be nice :D
mic

posted on 28/6/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
dodgy chassis diagram please be nice :D

ok i appologise for my shoddy attempt but im at work and im really not an artistic person. reasons as to why i chose what i want to do arnt really important, i'll try explain things better if its not clear enough!

basically i want to make a mini-based locost. i want to make it rear wheel drive so plans are to use a front subframe on either end of the car... the rear subframe will hold the engine and the front subframe will house the fuel tank. this is the kind of design i had hoped on. intentions were to design a chassis basicaly like a box to fit between the subframes - welded to the front subframe but the rear (mini front) subframe would be bolt-on so could be changed with any mini subframe with engine attatched!

appologies for the lack of detail but first things first, if the idea is ok i'll start the build..... if its obviously not legal and plain stupid then i wont waste my time with it

cheers

mic Rescued attachment chassis.JPG
Rescued attachment chassis.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Has been done before. There was a really well built and very nice Mini based locost at Brands Hatch Total Kit Car Magazine show a few years ago. I did have photo's but my pooter has gone tits up so i can't show them. Surrey Dave on here took some so if he sees this thread he may be able to post some pics for you.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mic, It seems you have the basis of a workable concept....I suggest you repost in the mid-engine section of the forum......we live and breathe stuff like that there..

Alan

Hammerhead

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
you don't wanna use pink bolts!! we will laugh at you

minitici

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mic,
A guy called Stephan from Germany made a couple of chassis to use the Mini subframes (same concept as the old GTM coupe).
He decided that the box chassis was the way to go.

BenB

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
My only worries of making a car this way would be

1) most of the weight will be over the rear axle, so a 50/50 distribution isn't going to happen

2) you'll be spending lots of effort trying to make a Locost which will end up running with a Mini engine. Even when tuned they're not the most modern or powerful engines in the world.

3) the car width will likely be non-standard so you'll end up making your own GRP parts (or seriously modifying standard ones)

It sounds like a lot of hard work to produce a fairly lowly powered car with difficult handling!!!!

But please prove me wrong- it sounds fairly original which a lot of Locosts aren't!!!

mic

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input guys
in response to BenB

1) have thought about this so was thinking of some kind of weight/plate in the front subframe to even it out

2) yes i agree there are more powerful modern engines out there but its a case of stick to what you know. i drive a mini at the moment so know more about mini engines than say a crossflow, so makes sence so stay with it. ultimately to stick a turbo on it for instance - 120bhp+ in a car that size?!

3) having thoughts on body. got a few ideas but know what you mean!

my mini is on www.retromods.co.uk

jack trolley

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood did a Mini (or Metro) based mid-engined 7. It looked pretty much like
a conventional 7.
They were selling the entire project a couple years back (before the company
changed hands etc., etc.)
Ask at the Robin Hood Owners Club?

BenB

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you fancy a Mini engine then why not use it (and fit a Turbo) but keep it in the front of the car....
Adding extra weight is so not 7-friendly!!

Aren't there bellhousings to convert a A or B series to a Type9 g/box. Then you could use standard Ford stuff from the gearbox backwards....

Nicer weight distribution and an unusual engine... and you can use standard Locost parts...

Please note- the above may all be complete borrocks

mic

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
yea just wanna do something different and ultimately its a learning curve as much as a project rather than buy a car pre-set jigsaw if you know what i mean!
BenB

posted on 28/6/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the BMC A-series then attached to a type9.... It's quite a popular conversion in Moggy Minor circles apparently... Should take the power to the back wheels nicely.... You'ld need a bellhousing but most popular swaps are available...
Peteff

posted on 28/6/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the ABS freestyle, it sounds like what you are trying to do has already been done for you. Tomcat site.

[Edited on 28/6/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 28/6/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
You want a book original written 40 years ago called "High Speed Low Cost" By Allan Staniforth ISBN: 0954514009

Incidentally the MGF and MGTF are really just Metros with the engine moved to the middle, the front end is pure Metro/Mini

[Edited on 28/6/07 by britishtrident]

minitici

posted on 28/6/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention that my Atavar is a picture of my sprint/hillclimb race car which had a complete Mini subframe/engine/gearbox/suspension fitted to the rear of an old FF1600 chassis!

Surrey Dave

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Groovy Eh!!

Rescued attachment locost mini 2 sml.jpg
Rescued attachment locost mini 2 sml.jpg

Surrey Dave

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Love It!!

Great colour scheme too!!

[Edited on 28/6/07 by Surrey Dave] Rescued attachment locost mini 1  sml.jpg
Rescued attachment locost mini 1 sml.jpg

Surrey Dave

posted on 28/6/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Eh!

Rescued attachment locost mini 7sml.jpg
Rescued attachment locost mini 7sml.jpg

red22

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.westhouse.plus.com/page7/page7.html

a site for staniforths terapin.

plans still available including a two seater

CaptainJosh

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
The a-series engine from a mini can't be put in a front engine RWD form due to the end of the crankshaft being specifically made to attach to a flywheel with a clutch that sends power to a gearbox directly below it.

But...

The a-series engine from a MG Midget can be put in a front engine RWD form and is as standard. The difference is in the crankshaft, the midget has a flat flange for a flywheel to fit onto, magic.

Which means you could create a standard locost with an a-series engine. I too am a fan of it, under powered of not it has brought plenty of youthfull fun especially a 998 with a cut in block with a 1275 head although used to run the track one with a standard 998 engine and a short gear and it was still fun

[Edited on 28/6/07 by CaptainJosh]

Spyderman

posted on 29/6/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say go for it!

The GTM Coupe was built this way and is still a very competitive car. That has a 50/50 weight layout or near enough I believe.

I have often thought of doing something like this, but have never actually put thought into action.

Spyderman

mic

posted on 29/6/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys for the comments guys, i'll see if i can find me some nice metal to work with!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.