Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tintop loss of power
benji106

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
tintop loss of power

my daily driver (mk3 mr2) has started playing up, It seems to be suffering a loss of power, acceleration is way down and it struggles to get up to speed, slowing down dramatically when going up slight inclines, it basically feels like a 1.2 rather than a sporty 1.8. This only started happening on thursday of last week, negative battery terminal kept falling off, this happened a few times before i had the chance to tighten it up, I dont know if this is related (ECU going into some kind of 'safe mode'??) or just coincidental, the exhaust is on its way out but its just a little noisy and doesnt have any big holes or anything, so i dont think it is the cause. any ideas??

-Everything in excess-

adithorp

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
From that description I'd suspect a blocked exhaust. More common than you'd think.

Adrian

MikeRJ

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
From that description I'd suspect a blocked exhaust. More common than you'd think.

Adrian

Either the exhaust or the cat would be my prime suspects as well. No warning lights on dash showing?

andyace

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
With this wonderful weather we are getting are you sure nothing electrical has got damp. My 206 does this sometimes when I go out in torrential rain but its ok after drying out 4 a bit.
benji106

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
no there are no lights on the dash except the service light, so im going to get it serviced and see if they find anything up with it

-Everything in excess-

tks

posted on 3/7/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
mhh i suspect its in limb home mode.

you will see.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

MikeRJ

posted on 3/7/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
mhh i suspect its in limb home mode.

A fault which causes the ECU to revert to "limp home" would normaly cause the MIL (malfunction indicator light) to illuminate.

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unless it blows a head gasket then it goes into "Imp home mode"

Could be a few things broken cat is high on the list but usually you can hear the chunks rattling about in the exhaust.

Fuel flow or fuel pressure problem
Burnt exhaust valve
Bent valves
Cam timing jumped
Plug or coil/ignition pack

[Edited on 3/7/07 by britishtrident]

benji106

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies, seems like it could be a few things, I have some basic mechanical knowledge, any ideas on how to narrow it down? the engine seems to rev freely in neutral, although when pushed to 5k or so it makes an almost dump valve sounding 'whoosh' the engine was running dangerously low on oil i noticed today (although the light hadnt come on) so i topped it up before driving anywhere, there are no knocking noises coming from the engine but it just goes flat in 4th/5th at around 3/4k with no acceleration after about 60/70

-Everything in excess-

benji106

posted on 4/7/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Arse
not good

Some common symptoms of pre-cat failure are extreme oil loss, very noticeable lack of power all the way through the rev range, and horrible noises coming from your engine bay. Essentially, if you’ve got any of these problems and they are directly related to pre-cat loss, then it’s too late. Even the oil warning light won’t save you here, as by the time it comes on there’s almost zero oil left in the engine anyway.

-Everything in excess-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.