Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what do you think
autotrader

posted on 28/8/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
what do you think

hi guys,i dont often post,just usually read all your helpful and valuable information.

i am close to taking the plunge into buying a kit car and have found one that interests me.
its a 1974 dutton b
firstly its by no means perfect, which is perfect, if you get me!i havent got the space to build one and am moving house so a cheap one that needs a little work is ideal.
it needs tidying and is quite old.i rang the bloke and he sounds very genuine.
basically i'm wondering what you guys think of this type of kit car and how much you think i should be paying.
currently there is no bids at 995 pounds but he says hes been offered 1500 and 1800 to end early but theres 72 watchers so he's letting it run for the 5 days left.
anyway heres the car ,let me know what you think

grahamgg

posted on 28/8/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful looks like it needs a fair bit of work and it looks to be on the pricey side, this link might be a better buy,
duttons are good fun , and are a cheap way intto the kit car scene .

Paul (Notts)

posted on 28/8/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Check the car has a V5 doc and do a check on its reg number to see if it is registered.

Ask him for the reg so that you can check it on the dvla site.

Paul

D Beddows

posted on 28/8/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm what's a tatty Dutton worth.......if it's correctly registered as a Dutton I'd say it's possibly worth about £800 on a good day? if anyone pays £1800 they've got more money than sense tbh

They're ok, not the greatest by any means but it depends what you want it for, it'd be fine for pootling round in on sunny days if you could get it for a enough low price

Confused but excited.

posted on 28/8/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd want to know what else is missing apart from the tail lights.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

02GF74

posted on 28/8/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't look too bad- would be best to see it before parting with your cash.

Do a quick summation of how much individual parts would cost you if you were to source them yourself and also if possible look at other duttons to see what sort of money they go for – look in ebay advanced search, completed items.

then decide on a maximum and stick to it.

better/cheaper cars will come up, it is just a matter of how long you are preparedto wait.

BenB

posted on 28/8/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you want something to work on then its a good choice- lots of work to do!!!

It's only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it. Personally I wouldn't pay 1800 for it!!! It needs a fair bit of work.

If I bought it I'd want to change the engine, the bodywork etc etc etc.... and there's always the risk that it isn't properly registered.

Also it seems not to have any lights at the back nor any number plates... Sounds strange....

Are you sure its not running around on the identity of the donor vehicle?

autotrader

posted on 28/8/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
great stuff lads,i've now got plenty of questions to ask him.weather its registerd properly or not possibly wont concern me too much because im importing it to ireland and it would just need a garage ,eg someone i know to say its road worthy....although it would need to be a proper 1974 dutton to avoid import tax which can be as much as 2 grand for a new one or as little as 50 quid for one like this over 30 years old.

i dont think it needs too much work?or am i missing something?

so far:
respray
alloy refurb
bucket seats/retrim
maybe new guages/lights

he says he has everything thats missing eg windscreen/lights/wings

he says he used to own the car,sold it,bought it back cos he missed it but now needs the space.he doesn't have the log book but he said he will have it by the end of auction and if not will pay for a new one

i've neber driven one of these do you think its fast?i know its not bike engined or anything but for a cross flow?incidentally what do people think of crossflows?

cheers guys keep the advice coming!!!!!

iank

posted on 28/8/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
One for the dutton owners. In the engine picture is that cut off tube (at the front of the engine on the OS top rail - near the blue wire) a genuine feature or is is an engine bay cross brace that's been chopped out?

p.s. the vendor may need glasses like coke bottles if he thinks that's a good choice of font.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

autotrader

posted on 28/8/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
being from ireland i dont know how the dvla thing works,i've been on their website but cant find what i'm after.

if anyone can find out any info using the cars plate it would be much appreciated
it plate number is

yud348m

thanks guys

David Jenkins

posted on 28/8/07 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by autotrader
he says he used to own the car,sold it,bought it back cos he missed it but now needs the space.he doesn't have the log book but he said he will have it by the end of auction and if not will pay for a new one

That sounds so iffy!

All things considered, I'd walk away right now.

quote:

i've neber driven one of these do you think its fast?i know its not bike engined or anything but for a cross flow?incidentally what do people think of crossflows?

It'll be faster than most tin-tops, and should corner quite well. Won't be as fast as a decent locost.

As for the cross-flow - I've got one in my car. great sound, simple to maintain, bit heavy, always has an oil drip somewhere. Wouldn't be without it!

But as said above - wait and get a more 'honest' car.

David

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/8/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
For the DVLA website to check a registration, they need the reg and make of car. I put Dutton and it came back with the following results. I also tried it with Ford and it rejected it, so chances are, it's registered correctly.

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for YUD 348M are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2007
Date of First Registration 01 08 1973
Year of Manufacture 1973
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1598CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £99.00
12 Months Rate £180.00

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
autotrader

posted on 28/8/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
@RoadkillUK,thank you very much! is there anything else i need to check.

is a hpi check necessary,even if there is money outstanding i'm not going to get nailed for it in ireland am i?
can you do a hpi check for free or do they all cost money?if so where should i do it.is there any other info i need to do a hpi check eg vin number? sorry about all the questions thanks for all the answers!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.