Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tifosi Rana
markf

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Tifosi Rana

hi there,
does any body know any thing about a kit called Tifosi Rana, its a body kit that turns a MG midget 1500, into frogeye sprite, no SVA required, this is starting to appeal to me, on a plus side, the wife likes it.

regards
mark

TimC

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Saw the demo at Stoneleigh. It was a rough build. Doesn't mean that yours would have to be though!

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tifosi Rana

Phil

[Edited on 30-8-07 by Hellfire]

dave1888

posted on 30/8/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, i want to like it but, i cant. Why would anyone want to build a vintage car on an old vintage most likely rusty chassis. Its based on the midget chassis iirc.

Avoneer

posted on 30/8/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch - that 2nd pic hurts my head and makes the car look like something out of a Disney cartoon.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 30/8/07 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like a bright red one with yellow steel wheels, so that it looked like Noddy's.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

stevec

posted on 30/8/07 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I cant believe modern man will fit in one,
Steve.

StevieB

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I like it for what it is, but as said, I wouldn't like to build a shiney new car using a rusty old chassis, and there'd be far too much work involved in making the chassis rust free to make it worth your while.

IMO, of course!

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
My first car was an original frog-eye sprite! Feeble engine, hard suspension, but would corner like it was on rails.

I saw the demo machine at Stoneleigh and it was very rough - if I was Tifosi I wouldn't have taken it to the show, as it was finished so badly (like a throw-back to the 1970's kits). The one I saw at Newark was MUCH better, and was actually worth showing off.

They actually have a lot of leg room, but there's no boot - you have to fold the seat backs down to get to the storage space.

It would be good as a fun car, and probably could be made quite speedy, but there aren't too many MG Midget / Austin Healey Sprites around as donors. There used to be a kit based on Mini sub-frames, made on the Isle of Wight, but I'm not sure whether that's still available (and it would need SVA).

David

ditchlewis

posted on 31/8/07 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
the Banham Sprint was also base upon the mini, but used the entire floor pan and suspension, you just cut the top off and bonded the shell to the pan. my dad and his twin had 3 of 4 originals at any one time, they said that even a vw beetle was faster.

you could buy a heritage shell (New & Rust Free) but that would add 3 grand to the cost.

is it worth it?

ditch

zilspeed

posted on 31/8/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I know a couple who have a pair of real Frogeyes. Her's has an A series in it, His has a 1640 xflow in it. At the most recent hillclimb, he beat a well pedalled Sunbeam Tiger - and set a new record into the bargain.

They can go well you know.

TimC

posted on 31/8/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
My old next door neighbour was the area co-ordinator for the MGOC. As well as a MGA being restored and a MGB GT with about 1000 miles on it he had a fantastic frogeye in Old English White. He'd spent a fortune but I've fancied one ever since.

Then again, I fancy a lot of cars.

Peteff

posted on 31/8/07 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I love Frogeyes, they are my favourite old 2 seater. Early Midgets and Spitfires are nice as well but I'm not keen on the later federal bumper style cars or the 1500 Midgets for the export market.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 31/8/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think any MG Midget hhad separate chassis - if memory severs me well, the last MG to have one was MGA.

Weren't the froeyed sprites Healeys? Probably got assimulated into MG who then based the midge on the floor plan?

Bith Midget and MGB have loads of leg room - the B is the only car I have ever sat in where I could not reach the pedals wih the seat fully back - and I am not a dwarf

as mentioned, the forg eyes have no boot by a compartment in the back that you rech by fiddling round the seats - bit like on early(?) carteerhmas.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Weren't the froeyed sprites Healeys? Probably got assimulated into MG who then based the midge on the floor plan?

Austin-Healey Sprite. After the frog-eye, austin-healey and MG made the same car with different badges.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.