Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension bushings for Haynes Roadster
murpia

posted on 27/9/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension bushings for Haynes Roadster

Is there any kind of standardisation to the dimensions of the suspension bushes typical to kit cars?

I am building a Haynes Roadster. The book specifies 44mm spacing of the brackets / crush tube length, for bushes fitting into a 28.5mm i.d. by 35mm long wishbone tube (therefore = 4.5mm bush flange).

Yet, I can find online suppliers for e.g. 42mm crush tubes fitting into a 28mm i.d. wishbone tubes with a 4mm bush flange.

Those dimensions are too close to be coincidence, yet none are the same! Is this a metric / imperial conversion situation or what?

Also you can find (expensive) 1.5" (= 38mm) crush tubes fitting into 1 1/8th" (= 28.6mm) wishbone tubes with a 3/16th" (=4.76mm) bush flange, so this would require a 1 1/8th" (28.6mm) tube on the wishbone ends instead of 35mm as per the Haynes book. (My head hurts!)

Finally, the seamless tubing 33.7mm o.d. with 2.6mm wall (= 28.5mm i.d.) used on the ends of the wishbones seems hard to find, it's not a standard size so must have been selected specially. Is this yet another case of imperial to metric?

What sort of tolerances should I expect all this stuff to meet anyway?

Regards, Ian

mike smith1

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure Chrisg will be along shortly to answer you question.

Mike

[Edited on 27/9/07 by mike smith1]

AndyH

posted on 27/9/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Strap in, it could be a bumpy ride

chrisg

posted on 27/9/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyH
Strap in, it could be a bumpy ride

I'm saying nothing regarding crush tubes on here!

Life is too short.

Try GTS tuning, 3GE components, Superflex, Powerflex, Rally design, Great British Sportscars or MK Sportscars for the bushes and tubes they're aware of the design and they're the standard bush used on the Robin Hood and MK Indy.

Hope this helps

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.