Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corsa Cutting out problem ??? Help !!
Andybarbet

posted on 28/10/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Corsa Cutting out problem ??? Help !!

Ok peeps,

My girlfriends 1.2litre injection - 8valve 'R' reg corsa keeps cutting out, whilst driving. Generally before its fully warmed up and then it normally wont start again for a while, if it does start again, the revs are all over the place and the engine management light is on frequently....it cuts out as you come up to junctions occasoinally too.

Ive been told it is likely to be the air idle control valve but what do you reckon ??
I can get one for 30 quid and its easy to change but am afraid it might not be that and 30quid down the drain right now, i could do without !
Also, a neighbour said its the map sensor ?? would these be the symptoms if this was playing up ??

Thought i would check on here before i start replacing bits that i cant afford.....

Cheers in advance.......Andy

thunderace

posted on 28/10/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at the hose i have seen a number that have cracked letting in air its a common fault ,when changing the air filter they bend the rubber pipe spliting it .
seen it loads of times.

cjtheman

posted on 28/10/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
i had same problem on 16v 1.2 corsa
on mine it was the crank sensor
hope that helps
cheers
colin

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

Scoob

posted on 29/10/07 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the MAP Sensor controls the idle speed, So could be that? Kicking in at the wrong times etc, therefore making it rev more frequently?

Im not 100% sure though..

procomp

posted on 29/10/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi in 99% of cases it is ussually the idlde control valve. Most times if you remove it give it a clean and refit it's ussually ok.

A new one if required was i think about £27 but may varry depending on different models. Have had to do them on most family and friends vaxhauls over the years.

HTH cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 29/10/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ok chaps,

Ive checked the hose that thunderace mentioned but no signs of damage there, would have been the cheapest fix i think....
I have taken the idle control valve out before and cleaned it up, seemed to improve things for a week or so but its got worse again so think i will get a new idle valve for it and keep me fingers crossed.a friend had the same problem with a cavalier and changing the idle valve has transformed the car apparently.

If that doesnt improve it i will try to pick up a map sensor from a scrappy, thanks for the advice, will let you know if this sorts it out..

Cheers....Andy

nathanharris1987

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
my old corsa did that, was a 1.4 however with the same symptoms. changed the distributor cap and it was ok for a while, then after about a month, same problem again and needed a new distributor.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.