Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Weight of a Locost?
Normsthename

posted on 26/11/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Weight of a Locost?

Hi
I am new to the forum, and I have been thinking about building a Locost.
Currently I drive a little Microcar (don't laugh!)
I can drive this on a B1 Licence, which was automatically issued to Motorcycle owners when they passed there test before 2001.
I am also allowed to drive a small car weighing up to 550kgs.
I think I have most of the skills required when it comes to building one, I do 2D/3D CAD design and I also have access to a very skilled toolmaker who can make just about anything in metal
I have a TIG welder, and I also used to be GRP Laminator in my youth
My last project was building a 3D CNC Routing machine from scratch.
I designed it, welded it and wired it

So my question, is a locost less than this?
I would imagine a car fitted with a bike engine would be the lightest???

TIA

Andy

worX

posted on 26/11/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
You could get a car engined locost less than that, but if consider that most bike engines (including gearboxes) can weigh upto (and a bit past!) a 100kilos less than a car engine then you know which way will be easier to lose the weight.

I reckon if you were really careful, you could build a locost to around 420kilos without it costing you mega money on choosing the lightest (read- most expensive!) components...

edited to add: And welcome to the Forum!

All the best,
Steve

[Edited on 26/11/07 by worX]

speedyxjs

posted on 26/11/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Normsthename
I think I have most of the skills required when it comes to building one

Hi Andy,
The amount of skill you have doesnt really come into it. I had no experience of doing anything on a car except the basics a car nut would know. I have tought myself everything else except welding (did a 2 day course at local college).
Alot of guys on here have built cars at less than 550kg's so it can easily be done.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 26/11/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Is the small car you're allowed to drive limited to power at all? I seem to recall that heavy quadricycles are limited to 400kg and 20 BHP.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/11/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Is the small car you're allowed to drive limited to power at all? I seem to recall that heavy quadricycles are limited to 400kg and 20 BHP.

Personally, i'd prefer to see you take your proper driving test myself before being let loose in a high performance sports car rather than try and use the existing rules to your advantage!!!!

If you can drive a car safely then its not exactly hard to pass the test and judging by the LGV theory test its an absolute doddle to pass that if you have been out on the roads previously.

I personally did my driving test at 18, and since then have done my Institute of Advanced Motorists test, Drive and Survive and my ARDS. I have today passed my LGV theory test but thats a bit different (i'm hopefully gonna be driving 38te HGV's in the new year as a change of career)

Confused but excited.

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I do 2D/3D CAD design and I also have access to a very skilled toolmaker who can make just about anything in metal
I have a TIG welder, and I also used to be GRP Laminator in my youth
My last project was building a 3D CNC Routing machine from scratch.
I designed it, welded it and wired it
Andy

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Ohh you are going to make lots of new friends here!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Normsthename

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome
quote:

Yes thats right, but you can also drive a car under 550kgs with no power limit on the B1 Licence.
quote:
Personally, i'd prefer to see you take your proper driving test myself before being let loose in a high performance sports car rather than try and use the existing rules to your advantage!!!!

I did'nt write the rules........
But I have driven reliants on and off for 25 years for 1000's of miles, so a car clutch & gearbox / driving are no strangers to me
Also I have been riding high performance bikes for 29 years, upto 170bhp & 186+mph....
So I don't think the performance of a Locost would faze me either.
quote:

I forgot to mention that I also have a vacuum Forming machine with a 3' x 2' x 6" Forming area
I use this with the 3D CNC Router to machine the moulds out.

If there is anything that anyone wants help with, just PM me and I will see what I can do

Thanks

Andy

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I too have driven many reliants (rialtos in fact), which whilst having car controls are very unlike a car.

You will find handling is the biggest shock.

The next biggest shock will arrive when you try and get insurance.

Try it before you invest any time in it.

I found very few places would insure me in a rialto, so even less would consider a high performance sports car in the hands of an (in their view) untrained driver with zero experience.

I'm all for guys like you getting out of their plastic pigs (I found they did nothing but attract trouble, but then I live in a rough area) but you need to consider all the additional costs, uncluding on going costs such as insurance which may make it unviable.

Keep us posted!

quote:
Thanks for the welcome
quote:

Yes thats right, but you can also drive a car under 550kgs with no power limit on the B1 Licence.
quote:

I did'nt write the rules........
But I have driven reliants on and off for 25 years for 1000's of miles, so a car clutch & gearbox / driving are no strangers to me
Also I have been riding high performance bikes for 29 years, upto 170bhp & 186+mph....
So I don't think the performance of a Locost would faze me either.
quote:

I forgot to mention that I also have a vacuum Forming machine with a 3' x 2' x 6" Forming area
I use this with the 3D CNC Router to machine the moulds out.

If there is anything that anyone wants help with, just PM me and I will see what I can do

Thanks

Andy

[Edited on 26/11/07 by Dangle_kt]

roadrunner

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would do as Paul TigerB6 says, i have a freind who has just built a Tiger with a 2.0ltr zetec, he also drives an Audi A3 with 230 bhp, when he finished his Tiger that took nearly three years to build, it took him two weeks to roll it and wright it off.

chriscook

posted on 26/11/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is the 550kg limit GVW or kerb weight. If it is GVW then you won't be able to have 2 people in the car.

How much does it cost to take your car test anyway? Surely from what you say you would expect to pass first time without any lessons

caber

posted on 26/11/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
My locost with a Pinto engine and a full tank of fuel weight exactly 600Kg at SVA, a bit more than I was expecting! It is a book chassis with the Cymtricks front mods, a conventional tunnel and steel floor. Interior is sparse, Westfield seat pads straight on the floor, plywood and foam side panels ally tunnel panels with foam and vinyl so not sure where I could lose 50Kg without a change in the drive train.

Caber

Normsthename

posted on 26/11/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I found very few places would insure me in a rialto, so even less would consider a high performance sports car in the hands of an (in their view) untrained driver with zero experience.

I don't believe that the insurance would be a problem.

The problem is when people who have 'bike' licences apply for insurance on cars like reliants/light cars.
When the insurance ask if you have a full licence, they usually reply "I have a full bike Licence" and thats when the conversation ends.
Nobody has a 'Bike' licence or a 'Car' licence.
Everyone who has passed a riding/driving test has a full licence.
This entitles you to ride / drive a certain classification of vehicle.
My licence entitles me to ride a Motorcycle, a Motor Tricycle, and a light or heavy Quadricycle and a light car not exceeding 550kg.
So if I applied for insurance on a Kitcar, when asked by the insurance company if I had a full driving licence, I would say "Yes" because I do have a full licence for the class of car I wish to drive.

Looks like I will have to be careful when building a Locost to ensure that it stays under 550kg
Definitely sounds like a bike engine will be the way to go.
I don't plan on putting a hypersports bike engine in like a Hayabusa or fireblade etc. These are too expensive for my budget, I will end up with a older lesser powered engine.

Andy

[Edited on 26/11/07 by Normsthename]

Avoneer

posted on 26/11/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think it would be a very fine line for what they class as a light car and if something happened, I'm sure as damit that an insurance company would find a way out of paying out anything.

The risks far outweight the cons for what you are trying to do.

I'm sure if you were ever stopped by the feds as well, the CPS would have real fun with that one.

Get a car licence, then an insurance quote.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/11/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
Is the 550kg limit GVW or kerb weight. If it is GVW then you won't be able to have 2 people in the car.

The B1 licence allows up to 550kg UNLADEN weight so a BEC would certainly pass on the weight limit. Problem is there are performance limits too aparently - so the locost is a no-go really i recon!!! Not sure what the performance limits are but any locost will certainly be in excess them - surely it would be so much easier to just take a driving test but if not then would be wise to speak to the DVLA as part of your research??

As for cost - you wont save much by going for an older engine than a Fireblade (which are cheap anyway!!). While a Busa my be £2500 plus, you should get a CBR1000 / Blade / ZX9R / carbed or early inj R1 for not a lot of money at all comparatively. The advantage comes when you start adding in the cost of the exhaust and so on - off-the-shelf parts for the commonly used engines are what will keep the cost down (unless you are welding your own exhaust up of course!!)

[Edited on 26/11/07 by Paul TigerB6]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/11/07 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Had me intrigued so got on good old google.

"More recently an EEC directive has been passed, that allows most European member states to drive these micro cars in restricted form without a license. The UK has chosen (at present) not to implement the full content of this law, but has amended the UK version of the driving license to accommodate Quadricycles, the good news is that, unlike smartcars they can be driven by anyone with a minimum of a full motorcycles license - category A/B1 and anyone with a full car license category B. UK Quadricycles can also be used with full engine power to a maximum output of 15kw. Although not rapid, they are more than adequate for inner city use, towns and local journeys, or in the case of the cabriolets perfect summertime fun cars!"

15kw = 20.12bhp!! Not much good for a trackday!!

matt_claydon

posted on 27/11/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
There is no power limit for a B1 licence (power limits are only for bikes and quadricycles on A-category licences). Also 550kg is the UNLADEN mass so a BEC would certainly be fine legally. There's no way insurance or police could have any problem with it, the law is quite clear.

Remember B1 is a car licence for light 3/4 wheeled vehicles that used to be given when you pass a full bike test, it is not 'driving a car on a bike licence'.

Info is here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Personally for the sake of a hundred quid for a couple of lessons and a driving test I'd do it properly, but if you want to drive a BEC on a B1 licence I see no problems legally.

Bluemoon

posted on 27/11/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
For rules see: Licence

B1 licenses appear to have now power limit... And maxium unladen weight of 550Kg.. You can have 3 or 4 wheels...

Dan

Bluemoon

posted on 27/11/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Beat me to it! :-(
Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/11/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
There is no power limit for a B1 licence (power limits are only for bikes and quadricycles on A-category licences).

A microcar is classed as a quadricycle though - "Microcars, or more correctly known as 'Quadricycles' have been around for many years in various shapes and forms."

http://www.micro-cars.co.uk/

And to add more confusion - the weight limit for quadricycles is 400kg according to certain sites!! So many sources seemingly having different limits!!

http://www.fasttoys.co.uk/Answerlist.htm

Having read that - the law doesnt appear to be that clear (typical government) and am sure an insurance company would see it as a possible opportunity to not pay out.

Personally i'd have to say to Andy it really needs proper clarification directly from the DVLA - i'm sure the last thing anyone would want is for Andy to find out there is some obscure power limit set in the event of an accident / claim. Wouldnt be much fun finding out you are not covered and then facing a driving without insurance charge on top.

[Edited on 27/11/07 by Paul TigerB6]

Normsthename

posted on 27/11/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
but if you want to drive a BEC on a B1 licence I see no problems legally.

I agree!
This is the main text from DVLA
On a B1 I am legally entitled to drive the following :-

3 or 4 wheeled cars or vans where the unladen weight is no more than 550 kgs

Quadricyles are a totally different classification of vehicle and also expensive roadtax for a 505cc engine! £115 a year

On another forum that I use, there are loads of members on there driving light cars.
One chap has been driving a Caterham on a B1 licence for a couple of years

quote:

Personally i'd have to say to Andy it really needs proper clarification directly from the DVLA - i'm sure the last thing anyone would want is for Andy to find out there is some obscure power limit set in the event of an accident / claim. Wouldnt be much fun finding out you are not covered and then facing a driving without insurance charge on top.

Quite a few members on the other forum have had the law verifed by the Police and also DVLA, and it is what it says
I would'nt have asked the original question if I had'nt done my research

quote:
Personally for the sake of a hundred quid for a couple of lessons and a driving test I'd do it properly

If I was completely new to driving a vehicle then I would definitely agree.
I have been driving for 29 years all kinds of vehicles (4 wheeled off-road)
I think that I am a little bit safer than some spotty 17 year old who has just passed his test, driving around in a clapped out Vauxhall Corsa with a loud stereo and 4" exhaust pipe

Andy

DarrenW

posted on 27/11/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
How would the weight of the car be stated / recorded? Reason i ask is that for SVA you declare the design weights which then equates to a gross weight. This is not the actual weight of the car but i do not recall anywhere official where the actual weight minus driver is recorded for DVLA purposes.

D Beddows

posted on 27/11/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can I ask why you're so completely against the idea of taking the proper driving test for the type of vehicle you want to drive? All the rest of us have had to and then if we want to ride a motorbike or drive an HGV we have to take another test - and it doesn't matter how experienced a driver of any other type of vehicle we are.......
Normsthename

posted on 27/11/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can I ask why you're so completely against the idea of taking the proper driving test for the type of vehicle you want to drive? All the rest of us have had to and then if we want to ride a motorbike or drive an HGV we have to take another test - and it doesn't matter how experienced a driver of any other type of vehicle we are.......

Why?
I already have a licence to drive this class of vehicle.
The law works both ways, if you passed your car test before 2001 you are allowed to ride a moped on a car licence.
Who says that is right?
Would you take your motorcycle test to ride a moped?......

Andy

[Edited on 27/11/07 by Normsthename]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/11/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Would you take your motorcycle test to ride a moped?......

Andy

[Edited on 27/11/07 by Normsthename]

Personally - I value my life so i'd get proper training and take a test to ride any sort of bike!!!

I have driven a 173bhp Zetec Tiger for 7 years and am now building a ZX12r Tiger. Personally i'll be looking at getting as much training via a high performance driving course and the instructors at trackdays as I can possibly get. I've passed my ARDS test in the past so was qualified to race but still consider myself inexperienced in driving a car that will have the performance of a BEC.

In my view, arrogance of ability is what gets people killed.

D Beddows

posted on 27/11/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
No, but a moped is 50cc and limited to 31mph.....

Fair enough, you've found a loophole and you're going to exploit it even if it makes your life unnessesarily complicated as has just been demonstrated by you having to justify at length on here what you're doing Best of luck to you!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.