Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a new electric motor...
owelly

posted on 4/12/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a new electric motor...

I've aquired a lovely four post lift. I've even managed to find a barn to put it in but, as the motor on it is three phase, I'd like to fit a new motor. I've read the various discussions relating to running the motor on 240v (and there is a diagram in the motor connection box lid to tell me I can) but I'm not convinced.
The motor is rated at 1.5kW. and spins at 2850rpm.
I'm sure that relates to about 2hp and a 2 pole single phase should be around 3000rpm. So far so good.
My problem is this. Which motor do I buy?
Machine Mart motors
It's a flange mounted unit and I'd rather know what I want without having to take the old motor to the shop or making a template!
The motor info currently fitted is:
D80C/EC1171KB R63797
Rated to 5mins.

I'm sure the guys on here will be the right guys to ask......
Cheers, Owelly.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rallyingden

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post picture of wiring diagram in lid?

RD

John P

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Until 2-years ago I ran a small motor distribution business and could probably put you in touch with a suitable supplier.

I can however confirm that whilst a 3-phase motor can run at 230 Volts it still needs to be 230 V 3-phase.

To run from a single-phase supply you will either need a single-phase motor which will probably be physically larger than a 3-phase unit of the same power or you could use an inverter to provide 3-phase at 230 V from a single-phase supply.

These are not rediculously expensive but would still be over £100 which may be unrealistic.

If you want any further help U2U.

John.

owelly

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the lid

And here's the gubbins

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
John P, the actual size of the motor wouldn't be a problem as long as the flange was the same. Do the markings I posted mean anything in relation the the mounting?

oadamo

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
look on ebay you can buy converters to run them off 240v
adam

owelly

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to avoid inverters as they sap juice and I'll be using a genny to run the lift/lights etc.

oadamo

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
230196827900 you can get them cheaper if you look abou.
adam

John P

posted on 4/12/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
What we need is the details from the rating plate which is normally attached by rivets to the outside diameter of the motor.

The number you're looking for will probably be something like D90S-B5 which is the motor frame size in mm (in the case given 90mm from the shaft centreline to where the foot mounting would be if it were a foot mounted motor).

The B5 or B14 suffix ties up the flange details, all this being on the assumption it is a European metric frame motor.

It may help to have a look at my website at www.indigo26.freeserve.co.uk/

owelly

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I have other than the usual tech spec stuff:
D80C/EC1171KB R63797

MkIndy7

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
Hi,

Until 2-years ago I ran a small motor distribution business and could probably put you in touch with a suitable supplier.

I can however confirm that whilst a 3-phase motor can run at 230 Volts it still needs to be 230 V 3-phase.

To run from a single-phase supply you will either need a single-phase motor which will probably be physically larger than a 3-phase unit of the same power or you could use an inverter to provide 3-phase at 230 V from a single-phase supply.

John.

I thought big single phase motors were just 3 phase ones with a capacitor accross 2 phases.

The one I wired up the other day still had the 3 phase link bars in and you altered them depending on which way you wanted the motor to run.

Or is it only that simple when the motor is only required to run in 1 direction?

John P

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
In the morning I would suggest you 'phone Kenworth Products in Honley and give them the deatails from the rating plate.

I used to deal with Roger (the owner) or David but I'm sure anyone will be able to help.

Their 'phone number is 01484 660222.

Tell them I suggested you contact them. Assuming they still remember me it may help you get a good price.

John Patey.

Coose

posted on 4/12/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's definitely a 3-phase motor old bean! You could run it on 240v if you wired it in delta (it's presently wired as star) but you'd still need a 3-phase supply.

Otherwise, an inverter is your only real option other than buying a single phase motor....

Spin 'er off Well...

owelly

posted on 6/12/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
How's this for service......
I sent an e-mither to Tecalemit to ask if there were any spares available for my lift as it's a 1977 unit and if they had any info in it.
They only sent me a complete parts list with exploded drawings including loads of handwritten notes of where to buy spares and what the new part numbers are. And a complete set of drawings and intructions for erecting the lift. And the inspection regime with log book pages to fill in. How good are they???

Coose

posted on 6/12/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey! I though service like that had disappeared....

Spin 'er off Well...

DarrenW

posted on 7/12/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
can the motor be re-wound?

Great service from the lift people. They are to be applauded for that.

Bob C

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just a word of caution about the single phase induction motors - starting torque might not be as great as the 3 phase. And you'll want full torque from standstill if you're lifting a car.
I'd go inverter - but then I'm biased, I design 'em for a living....
As said above connect the motor in delta if using an inverter off a domestic 1phase supply to get full beans from zero speed ;^)
Bob

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.