Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a part built kit
Guinness

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Buying a part built kit

I'm looking at an abandoned project / part built kit.

Looking for peoples opinions, especially those who have bought part builts / abandoned kits.

The overall cost of all the parts is more than it is going for. But is this a false economy, is it going to cost me more in the long run, undoing someone elses work?

Thanks

Mike

mookaloid

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
What is it Mike?

I might be interested if you end up not wanting it...

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think you know the answers yourself. If you think you'd be up to spotting all potental problems then fine, if not don't buy second hand.

I'd recommend you compile a list of checks, run them by the folk on here to see if you missed anything and then stick to the list when viewing.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
been there done that ... just about to go for a run so will post back with more details.

ok, I'm back

the best case you end up with a bargain, the worst is a lot of money, time and possibly DEATH.

If you have built one and gone through SVA then you are in a good position to determine what is what. you will be able to spot poorly welded chassis, bad wiring, braking system etc.

In my case I am still quids in although the car is not to my spec. as it would have been had I started from scratch. I spent a lot of time redoing parts which varied from downright dangerous e.g. welded/crack track rod to recrimping spade connectors. Since my kit had been started almost 10 years ago, it was not built with SVA in mind but I overcame that.

Would I do the same again?

Yes since I learnt a lot about the bad things to avoid.

[Edited on 16/1/08 by 02GF74]

smart51

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I considered a part built. They are (usually) very cheap for what you get. The problem is that they're sold as seen.

A rolling chassis, with good looking welds will probably be a bargain. A 95% finished car will have been abandoned because something somewhere that isn't easy to fix has gone wrong.

There again, a 90% finished car for sale because of redundancy / house move / new baby / emigrating, might be a mint car with a couple of weekends work needed to complete.

tegwin

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it would be a bargain buying a part built car, but in the end I think it has cost me more...

I had to take the entire thing appart because it had been built so badly.

I wouldnt do it again, unless the person building it origionally was well known and experienced...

zxrlocost

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
you 90% of the time are buying someone elses mess

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Coose

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Buy one that's already on the road and rebuild it. At least then you can have a drive of it, which should highlight any obvious faults....

Plus, there's no messing around with the SVA malarkey...

Spin 'er off Well...

iank

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Answer depends purely on the car in front of you. Some are a mess, some are abandoned because of money/ill health/just got bored etc. The second are bargains, the first are money pits.

I'm guess from other posts that it's a Cobra you're interested in. They cost a lot to finish if you're going for the chrome and leather thing - a lot of people run out of budget at that point.

Another thing with Cobra's it a lot of people outside the 'hobby' fall in love with the shape/story/mythology of them. Dreamers often don't finish one thing before moving on to the next, some won't have the skills/knowledge to get far, some will have drilled the chassis in the wrong place for something and got discouraged where someone with a welder would just swear for a bit, fix the problem and move on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
Buy one that's already on the road and rebuild it. At least then you can have a drive of it, which should highlight any obvious faults....

Plus, there's no messing around with the SVA malarkey...

I think your totally right, in the end it will still be cheaper than building one yourself.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tim windmill

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
i have bought 2 part built mks in the past, and although they do require more work than buying a new kit you can still end up with a very nice car and make a profit if you sell in the future. i would do it again but you have to be a bit picky to what part built you buy as said before some are just a mess and not cost effective.
Humbug

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a part-built rolling chassis. At least that way you can pretyy much see what has been done without taking anything apart, so you can judge whether you need to redo things. Then you can put your own stamp on the rest of the build and the finishing touches.

Mine was a kit chassis (ST) - not sure how much I would trust a part-built scratch chassis unless you (or a trusted friend) have enough knowledge to assess the quality of the chassis.

Coose

posted on 16/1/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a Cobra then it doesn't have to be big budget. I wouldn't mind building one, but I'd keep it stripped out and without all of the chrome trim faff....

Spin 'er off Well...

Pezza

posted on 16/1/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was virtually unstarted, wishbones on diff in etc, that was it.
The chap had collected loads of bits though.
After I had sold the engine and other bits and bobs I didn't need it worked out a good price, around 500 quid for an Indy starter kit, with brakes, hubs, rack, diff etc.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

matt.c

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was a part built and it had most of the things to finnish it off but now i have spent most of the time stripping it back and starting again to make sure it was done right. Also watch out for the little things as they seem to cost most of the money. Upgraded quite alot on mine eg tires, wheels, Full paint job, Bailey morris prop, air filters, full rollcage, etc. All these extra things add big cost to your budget. I was looking for a 5k build but now its looking at being a 7+K build!!

Any way best of luck with your build.

Robertf

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting topic.

I'm thinking of a part built locost, seem to be few at rolling chassis stage.

I would plan to dismantle entirely and put it back together - the benefit as I see it is this can be a cheaper way of buying a substantial proportion of the parts.

Of course I know I'll have to compromise on car spec...

DarrenW

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
You know enough about cars etc to know if its worth having Mike. Only thing id say is without knowing any details id reckon on fully stripping it back down and rebuilding. At worst you could be getting an excellent collection of bits for little money.

Dangle_kt

posted on 23/1/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
I bought a part-built rolling chassis. At least that way you can pretyy much see what has been done without taking anything apart, so you can judge whether you need to redo things. Then you can put your own stamp on the rest of the build and the finishing touches.

I agree, a rolling chassis stage is pretty easy to see what is what. I'm pleased with my part built and I saved a bundle - dont forget even if it isn't the exact part bult you want, you can sell the bits you wont want/need on for £££ for the bits you do need.

I sold a full zetec engine and ancillery package that has funded nearly the rest of the replacement fireblade set up.

Jasper

posted on 25/1/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - done it with my Stylus, REALLY pleased I did, saved myself many £££££ and loads of hours of work too, mind you it was built in the factory so the quality was spot on and everything done right ...... not so sure if I'd buy someone else's DIY welded chassis though ....

[Edited on 25/1/08 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.