Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Typical!
David Jenkins

posted on 9/2/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Typical!

Had a really good day doing stuff on my car, mostly to do with my new bike carbs. Made a lot of progress, cooking nicely in the sunshine.

Decided to do the necessary wiring changes for the new electric pump... and found that I'd run out of 1/4" uninsulated crimp-on terminals.

So now everything is all laid out and ready to finish - once Vehicle Wiring Products deliver the order I've just placed. I had to order a relay anyway, but it would have been nice to have got it all finished today.

Still - I did get a lot done today... Rescued attachment carbs.jpg
Rescued attachment carbs.jpg

speedyxjs

posted on 9/2/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

carpmart

posted on 9/2/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
its always the little bits that slow you down!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

James

posted on 14/2/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
My work rate was always so surprisingly slow (well to me anyway! ) that I never once managed to be waiting for summat to be delivered before I could carry on!

Every one day job ended up taking a week so it was never an issue!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 15/2/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
... and found that I'd run out of 1/4" uninsulated crimp-on terminals.

B&Q, Halfords, Maplin and most car places sell them both male and female but insulated. Just cut of the plastic insulated bit if required.

Correction: 1/4 is 6.8 mm; ^^^^ B&Q and problaby the others only do the 4.7 mm ones. Sorry.

I could have poppered a couple (6.8 mm) in the post for ya if you had asked or rather I had seen the post last night.

Yep, it is a real b8st**d when you are thwarted by something like that, usually is some stupid bolt in my case.

[Edited on 15/2/08 by 02GF74]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
VWP were up to their usual high standard - ordered the bits Sat pm, received them Tuesday morning.

Wiring is already half-done - all I need now is for the trains to get me home early enough to actually have time to do the work in the evenings...

DarrenW

posted on 15/2/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I must be quite lucky where i live. There are some back streets off the main town where 2 excellent motor factors reside, loads of car repair shops and a superb engineering supplies place that stocks a huge range of nuts, bolts, crimps, cable ties, etc etc etc - oh and the tools on display is awesome. Most makes are represented. The shop has been there for yonks, i think they supplied Noah with his bits and bobs for Ark mk1.
The only problem is if i go there for something obscure they ask me to go into warehouse and have a look - i end up coming out with bags full of stuff.

David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ipswich is pretty poor for anything vaguely engineering, which is sad considering the industrial heritage locally. For car electrics I have a choice between Halfrauds or local motor factors, all of whom only have those 'packs on a rack' of assorted low-grade screws, connectors, etc. The only place I've found that has some good-quality parts is the chandlers at Fox's Marina. Trouble is, they're expensive!

But at least I've finally finished the wiring changes - I now have an electric fuel pump, together with an inertia switch that's wired to cut power to the pump and the ignition in the case of an accident.

All I have to do now is sort out the throttle and choke cables, and then I can have a go at starting the engine...

Schrodinger

posted on 17/2/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
There is a Maplins in Ipswich as well as Suffolk Fasteners in Boss Hall Estate http://www.suffolkfasteners.com/all
The guy who owns this is very helpful and will supply any quantity.
DJ Evans Unit 8 Farthing Road sells all sorts of tools and fixings as well as some electrical stuff.
There is an electrical supplier on the corner of Farthing road (oposite corner to VW garage) as well whose name escapes me.
Finally I have found Bennets in foxhall road quite helpful along with Partco in Boss Hall hope this helps

Keith
Aviemore

David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
There is a Maplins in Ipswich as well as Suffolk Fasteners in Boss Hall Estate http://www.suffolkfasteners.com/all
DJ Evans Unit 8 Farthing Road sells all sorts of tools and fixings as well as some electrical stuff.
There is an electrical supplier on the corner of Farthing road (oposite corner to VW garage) as well whose name escapes me.
Finally I have found Bennets in foxhall road quite helpful along with Partco in Boss Hall hope this helps

That's a lot of local knowledge from someone in Aviemore!

Maplins are OK for some stuff, but the auto parts are very limited and not much better than Halfords.

I've not tried Suffolk Fasteners (couldn't get much sense from the link)

My daughter used to work for that electrical place in Farthing Rd! Mostly bulbs, I believe.

Bennets have gone downhill - they're little better than the rest nowadays (they used to be good).

I'm a regular customer of Partco!

There are also a couple of good bearing suppliers, who also sell drive belts and the like.

There are very few real engineering suppliers any more.

cheers,
David

Schrodinger

posted on 18/2/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger

That's a lot of local knowledge from someone in Aviemore!

Maplins are OK for some stuff, but the auto parts are very limited and not much better than Halfords.

I've not tried Suffolk Fasteners (couldn't get much sense from the link)

My daughter used to work for that electrical place in Farthing Rd! Mostly bulbs, I believe.

Bennets have gone downhill - they're little better than the rest nowadays (they used to be good).

I'm a regular customer of Partco!

There are also a couple of good bearing suppliers, who also sell drive belts and the like.

There are very few real engineering suppliers any more.

cheers,
David

I have just moved from Cotton Suffolk & used to work in Ipwsich

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.