Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: who's the best
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
who's the best

I'm wanting to get a new bike and so have been buying classic bike mags to get a feel for what to buy.

I thought I'd post this here rather on a bike forum as I think this asked on one of those would lead to war

So here goes, is this how the main manufactures should be rated?

1) Honda - best very reliable but pricey
2) Kawasaki - good value & little bother
3) Yamaha - rather poor quality and very troublesome

I’m a bit disappointed to be honest as it was a Yamaha cruiser that I would have liked but all I read is how disastrous their bikes are.

[Edited on 17/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
R you wanting to buy a new bike or a classic bike?
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/08 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Oh sorry I see what you mean, I worded that wrong ehem should have said another bike...I'm from Inverness and we speak funny

I'd be after a second hand sports thing like the style of a Yamaha TZR250 Anything bigger than a 350cc machine would scare me witless. Unfortunatly there seems to be far more Yamaha's of that type than honda's

It does need full bodywork as I'm a pansy and don't like the cold and wet Oh and I won’t entertain a 2-stroke, yuck!

[Edited on 17/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
itiejim

posted on 17/2/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've had Yams and Kwakers . I have always found the Yams to have the better build quality. I've currently got a 1990 FZR1000 Exup which has done 40,000 miles with no issues.

I think it's really down to what you want, but in terms of quality, my understanding of the "perceived wisdom" is that Honda come top, Yam next and then Suzuki/Kawasaki bring up the rear.

At the end of the day though, compare any of them to a Triumph, BSA, Ducati etc of the same era and you're laughing with the Japanese offerings!

billynomates

posted on 17/2/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Having owned a 1991 and a 1996 cbr600 (honda), i'd say have a look at one of these. Good for fast blats and comfy for long rides.
TZR 250 is a 2 stroke btw, and anything 4 stroke under 350 cc will be pants. IMHO of course.
VFR 750 is also worth a look.
If your bothered about the cold and wet, then I don't think there's a bike out there that will protect you from the elements.
Personally I didn't ride in the cold, trying to control the clutch on my TL1000 was a bit of a mare when everything from the elbow down was numb.

brynhamlet

posted on 17/2/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Honda 550 in the the early eighties which when I sold it had done over 100,000miles. Not anything as good as modern bikes, but as reliable as you could want, never broke down and carted camping gear all round the UK and even to Sweden. Or if you are going to go for a true classic bike if you can get hold of a 400/4 Honda you can't go wrong
fesycresy

posted on 17/2/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Step up to a 600, much better than the buzzing 400's.

To be honest they are all pretty good now, not a lot to chose between a CBR / GSXR / R6 other than style and manufacturers preference.

Go with a 600 you won't regret it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Coose

posted on 17/2/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know where you read that about Yamaha's - they're marvellous things and Yamaha are the leaders in Japanese bike technology and dare to tread where others wouldn't. Think about the groundbreaking bikes that they released, causing others to up their game - RD350LC, RD500, TDR250, FZR1000 Genesis & EXUP, R1, RD400, TZ350, air-cooled DT range (the first production bikes with monoshock), XS650 (the longest running production bike engine - 17 years and 500000+ sold), TZ750.....

Kawasaki build quality used to be iffy, though hopefully they've improved over the years?

Honda - yawwwwwwwwwn unless you go for a V4 (NC30s are great!)

Spin 'er off Well...

Simon

posted on 17/2/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Do not buy a "little" engined bike. My first "big" bike (from a 125) was a BMW k100 and while not to everyones liking was cheap and reliable and offered good weather protection - only 100bhp, so not stunningly fast (top about 130, 0-60 about 4 secs).

Why not a little engine, well, from the BM till I sold my 'busa, I was always trying to persuade a friend to get himself a bike with proper engine in, which he finally did, and he couldn't it believe it took him so long to see the benefits.

Relaxed, economical, but utter lunacy on demand

ATB

Simon

bigrich

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have owned bikes from all the big 4 jap manufaturers and have never had issue with any of them
build quality i would rate honda top but find them a little too refined for there own good(read a bit boring)
both kawasakis i've had have been rapid confidence inspiring machines which both ended up in ditches etc
suzuki's build quality is good but let down by poor quality fastners and coatings which can leave the bike looking shabby quite quickly.

As a first bike i would look at a hornet,fazer 600 or a v twin sv600
but if i could find one i would love another unmolested original 1200 bandit best value for money bike i ever had and wish i still owned

Rich

[Edited on 17/2/08 by bigrich]

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

tomblyth

posted on 17/2/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Nick sanders did 100,000s miles on a yam R1 going round the world (more than once) . all jap bikes are sound just depends how they have been looked after! I'd stay away from 2 strokes ! I have CBR600 (2000 model ) fast handles well and as reliable as sin!!! al jap bikes hate salt !
Simon

posted on 17/2/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomblyth
Nick sanders did 100,000s miles on a yam R1 ......

Agree with that sort of point - a friend when I first met him had done about 147,000 miles (in 3 years on a GSXR100H). Just serviced it religiously This was a long time ago - he uses email now

ATB

Simon

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/08 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the responces, everyone says get a big scary bike Though the idea of an engine that's not thrashing away at 70mph would be nice. I'll have to have a better look at these bikes then.

Cheers.

Simon

posted on 18/2/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Scariness is controlled by your right hand

I've been scared on an 80cc bike by not concentrating!

ATB

Simon

Aboardman

posted on 18/2/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit i would like to get back to having a motorbike, I used to have a GSXR 400 which i enjoyed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.