Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My Locost Build/Collection of Parts
Rallye_Mark

posted on 29/3/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
My Locost Build/Collection of Parts

Here are some pictures I have taken of my Westfield/Locost Chassis that I won on eBay for the amazing price of £204 !!!!! Got the chassis a few months ago and it is in storage just now until I get somewhere to store it and begin the build.

Plans are R1 engine, nice shortish ratio differential, some small 13inch Mini Lites about 7 inch wide and very very light weight. I'm going to be using it as mainly a track/hillclimb car and for something to use my Automotive Engineering knowledge on as I will be graduating this summer.

Firstly I got the chassis that came with a full double wishbone set-up front and rear with rear hub carriers, then off eBay again I got a Westfield Steering wheel, Granada Cosworth Rear Differential (3.62:1) and driveshafts but its a bit heavy to be honest, Granada Cosworth rear brake set-up and a Cosworth Propshaft so I have a good amount of the mechanical parts. I also just got some front wings for her too.

The Best Shot

Drivers Side with beastly Door Bar

Front End

Door Bar again

Rear Suspension

Interior

Me and my mate Dave Driving

On eBay I saw a lovely Westfield steering wheel and also a Cosworth Propshaft.

Cosworth Propshaft

Westfield Small Steering Wheel

I then found some nice Sierra Front Hub units that had just been fitted with new bearings and came with trackrod ends and the mushroom inserts. I went to B&Q and bought a few wire brushes and paint to get them looking mint.

Rusty Sierra Hubs

Nice Cleaned up Alloy Mushroom Inserts

Nice Smooth Black Painted Hubs after a while with a wire brush and some white spirits.

I knew what type of dash unit I was wanting, however I couldnt find one cheaper than the retail price, until one day I was searching eBay and found the exact one I wanted, with hardly any bids because the guy had used a poor title.

Main Body of Dials

Everything I got off the guy

Water and Oil Temperature sensors

Dial and speed sensor bracket

I got it for just over £100 and comes with everything needed to fit, so theres a saving of about £50 that can be spent elsewhere. Here are the specs of it:-

- Speed Unit reads km/h or MPH
- Two trip odometers up to 999,9 km or miles
- Speed warning in the range from 30 to 180 km/h (20-110 MPH). Adjusting unit in 5 km/h or PH
- Memory of reached Top Speed (0-360 km/h or 0-223 MPH)
- Rev Counter up to 15.000 U/min. Unit 100 U/min
- Memory of highest revs
- Temperature gauge in °C oder °F from 0-120°C or 32-248°F. Unit 0,1°C/F
- Temperature gauge with bar chart from 20-120°C (68-248°F). Unit 10°
- Digital Oil temperature reading from 0-120°C (32-248°F). Unit 0,1°C/F
- Memory function of highest temperature
- Fuel gauge with bar chart. 10 bars each 10 fuel level
- Works with most common tank sensors. 100 Ohm or 510 Ohm
- Free setting of reserve warning between 10-50.
- Clock
- Acceleration Test 1, how long does it take to pass a given distance. Distance can be defined between 50-1000 m (1/32 - 20/32 Miles). Unit 50 m (1/32 Meile). Perfect to get used to sprint races
- Acceleration Test 2, how long does it take to reach a selected speed. Speed selection is possible from 30-360 km/h (20-220 mph)
- Top Speed Timer Testing, here you have info about your reached top speed, passed distance and max revs

From looking at lots of different peoples Locosts, I knew the wheels I wanted, Compomotive ML's in a 13inch wheel. SO, again, browsing eBay I found some, and they are wide boys at 8inch wide. I bid on them and lost However the guy then put up another set and got them for a bit cheaper than what I bidded upto last time, Bargain!

I bought some Tiger Super Six rear light units for a bargain of £10, only used to get the car through SVA then removed for some carbon fibre units.

I also bought a new rear diff, a 3.92:1 7 inch Sierra diff so i could sell the 7.5 inch one, allowing for these top speeds in the gears:-

1st: 47.7mph
2nd: 64.7mph
3rd: 79.5mph
4th: 89.5mph
5th: 99.4mph
6th: 106.9mph

So she should be quite quick round a track and great for hillclimbs My only worry is that I will top her out on the straights at Knockhill, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it

After having a look around the net, I have kind of fallen in love with the MNR RT body with the long front wheel arches, like so:-

I was up at my mate Daves flat (the lad in the pic) and we were bored, so I started making a list of things I have bought and rough prices of what I still need to get and he started making a list of the parts he has bought for converting his EG Civic into an EG with an Integra Type-R engine and running gear, but heres my list:-

What I've got so far...

Bought

Chassis - £204
Steering Wheel - £25
Front Arches - £20
Cosworth LSD Diff, Driveshafts, Rear Calipers - £112
Front Sierra Hubs - £45
Koso Dials - £102
Compomotive ML1380's - £300
Cosworth Prop - £10
Lights - £10
Sierra 3.92:1 Diff - £36

Sold

Cosworth Diff - £100

Total So Far = £764

What is still needed (Probably Forgotten some stuff)

Engine with everything needed - £900
Seats - £200
Harnesses - £150
Tyres - £400
Brakes - £200
Switches - £10
Nose Cone - £50
Rear Arches - £50
Lights - £100
Suspension - £350
Alloy for Panels - £100
Sprocket Adapter for Gearbox/Prop - £50
Fuel Tank - £100
Air Filter - £40
Lubricants and Fluid - £50
Gear Change Kit - £50
Exhaust Manifold - £250
Backbox - £300
Braided Hoses - £50

Still Needing To Spend = £3400

So a Rough Total Cost for the Build = £4500 approx.

So I have bought about 20% of the parts I need, cost wise Still a lot to buy.

Any comments, please leave them as I'm always interested in other peoples opinions and ideas.

Cheers Mark

speedyxjs

posted on 29/3/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a good buy from the bay
Looks like a pretty good build and i LOVE those arches.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 29/3/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
might take the pickup to a few track days at knockhill.. don't know probably won't be done in time for this year.

looking good though! a question though, is that steering rack fixed in properly in those photos? looks a bit off centre

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 30/3/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
BTW, those 8" wide rims will take 215 wide tires (hey, I'm Canadian). I have Sumitomo HTR200 215/50/13's, yet to be driven on, so I can't comment on whether they're any good.
Rallye_Mark

posted on 30/3/08 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Scoobylav - What car is it you drive? By your name im going to guess a Scoob lol. My brother is just selling his old STi for a newish Spec-C so going to get him into try the whole track day thing.

blakep82 - No the steering rack isnt bolted in place, just sitting roughly in place dont worry.

RK - Yeah, I was wondering what to run on the front as I would like smaller ones on the front, my idea was 205's but think they might be too small/stretched, so 215's might be a better idea. Going to be using 235's on the rear Where abouts in Canada are you? I have family in Calgary and pop out when I can.

Hellfire

posted on 30/3/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Add another £500 for miscellaneous costs. You'll be surprised just how much you spend on odds and ends. £10 is extremely conservative for switches and you also have no scuttle listed.

Even so, if it comes in a grand over your budget you've done well to get a R1 powered locost on the road.

Good luck

Phil

snapper

posted on 30/3/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
First off don't sell anything until you have built it, i sold stuff on to lower the cost of the build and regreted it, especialy the 3.38 diff.
And why do i always spend £200 at every show on what amounts to a couple of carrier bags full of trim, clips and rivnuts?

Also don't forget oils and other fluids

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 30/3/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
From my experience with my old Indy/Blade combination you'll just about be flat out before braking on both the straights at knockhill- you may recognise the hairpin in my avatar!!

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

Rallye_Mark

posted on 30/3/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - yeah it was just a very rough estimate, I think I will save up and get the MNR kit as I really like it.

Snapper - I just sold the diff as it was 7.5 inch Granada Diff so wouldnt fit on the chassis/diff brackets.

Scotlad - Are you up at Knockhill quite a lot? Im up every now and again, I'd love to come up and se how it performs on the track next time you go.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 31/3/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not up at knockhill much at the moment as my current project wont be finished for quite a while due to recent house move and impending nuptials. I sold the Indy to a mate last year so i'll probably head up if he goes later this year and try and blag a shot!

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

chrisg

posted on 31/3/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you know but just in case, you wont pass the SVA with that steering wheel no holes or slots allowed and the spokes are too sharp.

Nice bargain though mate

Cheers

chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.