Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's the cheapest option to cross the Channel to UK?
Gergely

posted on 14/5/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
What's the cheapest option to cross the Channel to UK?

Hi,
We are picking up our kit in about 2-3 weeks time. We will take a car with a trailer to do so. What are the options to cross the sea to get to the UK?
Eurotunnel seems very expensive and I have checked Norfolk Line, which is cheaper, but both require a pre-booking. I have no idea how long it will take me to travel 1500km with a trailer to get to either, so judging the time is very tricky...
Any suggestions? What options do I have other than the two mentioned and any ideas for the booking?
Thanks!

Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Swim! get some truck inner tubes to float the car and pull it behind you ! Job done!

Caber

clutch_kick

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Gergely.

I will at some point have your problem, hopefully!! lol.

You have the advantage of being located on the mainland already, i'm on a forsaken island. (Anybody in the UK wants to offer me a job? lol) Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to find a company who can load it on a trailer taking goods back and forth from UK to Hungary? I'm pretty sure MNR can palletise the kit for you.

r1_pete

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
The ferries usually have a 4 hour loading window, I use Hull - Rotterdam quite often and can get on the ship from about 16.30 for a 20.30 sailing. So you have a fair margin for arrival at the port.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Speedferries are generally about the cheapest, they cross from Boulogne to Dover with a catamaran, not sure if they take trailers though. Alternatively choose your time carefully and go for someone like P&O. For MNR your shortest drive would be to do Hull - Rotterdam, but it isn't cheap. It does cut down on fuel costs and cuts out on the need to book overnight accommodation however.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
wonder how fast you'd have to be going to jump the distance?

Theoretically off course unless your car could break the sound barrier…

Yes I’m bored

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

BenB

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Price also depends on when you go. Night-time trips are often very cheap (for obvious reasons!!)..
02GF74

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
have you looked into shipping the chassis over to you in Hungary? That may be a cheaper option?

Guinness

posted on 14/5/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
wonder how fast you'd have to be going to jump the distance?

Theoretically off course unless your car could break the sound barrier…

Yes I’m bored

What about taking the tyres off the wheels and driving through the Tunnel? Obviously you'd have to pick the right track, as playing chicken with an oncoming Eurostar is only going to end badly!

Mike

[Edited on 14/5/08 by Guinness]

I love speed :-P

posted on 14/5/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Last few times we have been with Norfolk Line and have never paid more than £19 return, but as you say you need to book beforehand.

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

Bob C

posted on 14/5/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I remember going on eurostar. There were loads of day return deals UK-france & back in a day, really cheap. There was nothing going the other way. Says something about rip- off britain dunnit...
At the time I think day return was < £20 but a return over a week was ~£80. Yes they WERE on the lookout for folk buying 2 day returns a week a part & only using half....

vinny1275

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Most of the ferry companies seem to charge per person on top of the vehicle - tunnel may be cheaper once you take this into account - again, you end up at the wrong end of the UK when you get here then! Hook of Holland - Harwich or Rotterdam - Hull might be quicker / cheaper in the long run.

the Wellington at Darley, just round the corner from MNR is pretty cheap accomodation, amazing full English breakfasts as well! just what you need for a long drive home with a van and trailer!

HTH

Vince

Agriv8

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Back to earth woth a bump.

get a quote from

http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/

As they are usually cheep ( and go from dunkirk - closer to you i suspect )

Used them at least 3 times ( oh they are predominantly freight / wagons ) but dont let this put you off.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Gergely

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all!
We want to take the kit ourselves, therefore the transport company option is not good. Also, we have a free trailer and a company car with a fuel card.
I have checked P&O, Norfolk Line and Eurotunnel, and strangely enough, Eurotunnel is the cheapest, quickest and most flexible. It still costs around 120 EUR, but that's acceptable...
It will be the Eurotunnel then it seems...
Thanks!
Gergely

clutch_kick

posted on 14/5/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
So will it be the first MNR to go on the Euro Tunnel ??? lol

RK

posted on 14/5/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't done this since way before the tunnel was built, but I always like ferries - stress-free. I grew up on an island.
andyps

posted on 14/5/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
I remember going on eurostar. There were loads of day return deals UK-france & back in a day, really cheap. There was nothing going the other way. Says something about rip- off britain dunnit...
At the time I think day return was < £20 but a return over a week was ~£80. Yes they WERE on the lookout for folk buying 2 day returns a week a part & only using half....

It wasn't just rip off Britain - the same thing happened from the other direction. I used to cross quite regularly for work and would buy a day return here and get someone from the French office to get me a day return for coming back. Trouble was once they realised what was happening the rules changed and if you only went one way they reserved the right to charge your credit card for the difference between the day return and normal single fare - and you could only book with a credit card.

Still a good way to cross though for the speed and flexibility, but generally too expensive now I pay myself rather than on a company expense account!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

LBMEFM

posted on 14/5/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
With out a doubt the cheapest way is Dunkirk to Dover on Norfolk Line in the eary hours.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.