Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet!
richard thomas

posted on 27/5/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet!

Is a crash helmet that has an approval for motorcycle motorsport use (i.e. ACU approved) good enough for hillclimbing/sprinting etc?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to buy a new lid for use in the car, and am looking towards a bike lid with good ventilation - something like an AGV or similar, it would be nice if it could be used for sprints, trackdays etc.

Cheers,
Rich.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/5/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
not sure but I bet it's in here, there is a big bit about helmets

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/152-184%20Competitors%20Safety.pdf

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AR-CoolC

posted on 27/5/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
It probably is, but the thing to remember is that a bike helmet isn't fire retardant. Once you start getting up to higher spec bike helmets your into the car helmet price bracket.

Something to think about.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

richard thomas

posted on 27/5/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Aahh, good point - hadn't thought of that!

Truth be known, I am looking for a lid that will be comfortable during my forthcoming trip down to Le Mans, hence leaning towards a bike lid - ventilation and as rain proof as it's likely to ever be....AGV Airtech looking promising so far.

[Edited on 27/5/08 by richard thomas]

TimC

posted on 27/5/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich

You want a BS STICKER BS6658-85 TYPE A minimum for sprinting. I'm well happy with my FIA approved (SA2005) helmet from the States. Drop me a line if you want to know more.

Hope all is well.

TC

nitram38

posted on 27/5/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I raced (1993) the scrutineer would issue a sticker after inspecting your crash helmet. Don't know if they still do that.
Another difference between car and bike helmets, is the aerodynamics are different.
You tend to sit up more in a car and a bike helmet tends to lift your head.
Proper car helmets have a shaped skirt around the neck line to help reduce the lift. Just another consideration before you spend your money!

Wadders

posted on 27/5/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Generally speaking, no its not, you need an MSA approved (blue book) lid for competition use
Iv'e just bought a snell SA2005 approved lid and to be honest its not a patch on my old ACU Gold approved bike lid in terms of build quality, comfort or finish, and it cost twice as much.
Most bike helmets seem to be euro approved and acu approved, but not MSA approved.

Another tip is don't buy without trying them on, i was going to buy a Simpson super bandit, which is MSA snell 2005 approved, and looks the mutts, but was so unbelievably uncomfortable i gave it a miss. Saying that Arias don't fit me well either so it's not down to cost, but head shape.

Al.

Originally posted by richard thomas
Is a crash helmet that has an approval for motorcycle motorsport use (i.e. ACU approved) good enough for hillclimbing/sprinting etc?

Reason I ask is that I am looking to buy a new lid for use in the car, and am looking towards a bike lid with good ventilation - something like an AGV or similar, it would be nice if it could be used for sprints, trackdays etc.

Cheers,
Rich.

minitici

posted on 28/5/08 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
As of Jan 2010, BS6658 85 Type A helmets will no longer be acceptable for MSA events.
Minimum will be BS6658 Type A/FR (fire retardent spec helmet).
Others acceptable are:
FIA 8860-2004
SNELL SA2005
SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31,2A
SNELL SA2000*
* May be withdrawn with effect from 01/01/2010.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.