Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Window paint
smart51

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Window paint

My new project will have a polycarbonate tailgate / rear screen which will mate with a rubber seal. Production cars have a ring of black paint to cover the seal and I'm worried that mine will look home made without it.

What can I paint / cover / tint the polycarbonate with that will stick to the plastic and not to the rubber, but will also give a nice clean edge to the transparent area?

RazMan

posted on 1/7/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I masked off the area with tape and painted it with the black primer supplied with windscreen adhesive kits. Totally opaque and bonded to the glass like that stuff to a blanket.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I masked off the area with tape and painted it with the black primer supplied with windscreen adhesive kits. Totally opaque and bonded to the glass like that stuff to a blanket.

Dont know if thats compatable with poly carb, and for the cost of poly carb wouldnt like to find out the hard way so double check that with the paint in question.

You can however deffonatly get paint for polycarbonate, thats what the shells on model rc cars are made from.

Daniel

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

You can however deffonatly get paint for polycarbonate, thats what the shells on model rc cars are made from.

Daniel

yeah but I have found the r/c shell paint flakes off as I don't think it etchs into the plastic

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
plasticote will do it

smart51

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
plasticote will do it

Will it stick to the rubber seal though?

smart51

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
what about tinting film? Will it be dark enough to hide the rubber? Would it be best to cover the whole window with light film or cover the edges with dark, leaving a "viewing hole" in the middle?
Hammerhead

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
plasticote will do it

should do, is it a permanent join to the seal?

smart51

posted on 2/7/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
plasticote will do it

The tail gate will close against the rubber seal. I don't want the paint to stick to the rubber when I open it again.

Hammerhead

posted on 2/7/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
plasticote will do it

The tail gate will close against the rubber seal. I don't want the paint to stick to the rubber when I open it again.

In that case it should be fine. I use it on acrylic quite a lot and have had no problams. Maybe you could try it on an offcut? the paint is only £5 now at b&q was about £7.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
just for reference - the band is called the obscuration band... the ones on new cars are matt black paint not sure of the type but with any paint i would of guessed the dryer the better if its in contact with the rubber seal check the curing times and add some more to be sure
AR-CoolC

posted on 3/7/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
The obcuration band on a windscreen is made from ceramic and is applied during before the screen goes into the autoclave, when it comes out it is part of the glass.

When I'm appying a black band to the edge of a flat laminated piece of glass, I use the applicator felt and the primer for the glass (it's also black). With a little practice and a good quality applicator the edge of the line is very "clean"

Another option for you could be to look at getting a sticker cut in vinyl??

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.