Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Poll: Upsetting Your Neighbours
matt.c

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Poll: Upsetting Your Neighbours

Come on then who has upset them while building your cars?

I managed to upset mine the other day when setting up the carbs!
Why dont they seem to have the enthusiasm like we do about achieving a goal of building a car?

NigeEss

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not major upsets, twice knocked on garage door but several times comments in the morning.
BenB

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've never upset the people who live next to be cos I keep my car in a garage away from my house. The people who live next to my garage have complained though!!! Then again I was testing the brakes by getting the car going as fast as possible (ie noisily accelerating) then slaming on the anchors... And it was rather late..... Twas a fair cope really!!!
Mark G

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
My car doesn't even run yet and the only person within ear shot wouldn't complain too much as I pay him rent each month anyway.

cloudy

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Actually most of the village stop by for progress updates

I try to be sensible on the power tool usage hours...

www.warnercars.com

mookaloid

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Running my new camshaft in for 20 minutes at over 2000 rpm pi**ed my neighbour off a bit - especially when he asked me to stop after only 5 minutes and I spent the next 15 minutes trying to get him to understand over the deafening noise that it would be death for my cam shaft if I turned it off.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

StevieB

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sensible about the times I use the power tools, but only because I have a 1 year old son and the garage is integral to the house.

Neighbours don't comment on noise as they're just as bad and I rarely bring up my issues with his kids hoofing the footy at my Elise (thankfully, he's all too aware of what his kids do and is generally all over them before I get chance to say anything)

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The bitchells moan about pretty much every thing anyway.....so they called the police, told them we where riding a quad in the street.....the quad didnt have any wheels or handle bars when the police turned up.
The bec really pisses them off, as does the diesel van at 2am when im on call.

[Edited on 6-7-08 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Had the council around once due to noise complaint from an 'unknown' neighbough when stiching a new cross member on my landrover.

Council chap asked if it was my own car, confirmed I was not running a business from home so told me to carry on as I was doing nothing illegal.

A few weeks later on the 'unknown' neighbough accused my dogs of killing her cats. then depositing them on her doorstep!

I had a pair of golden retrievers at the time, they could not catch rabbits let alone cats, still I guess she thought they had escaped from my locked house, killed the moggies, deposited them on her doorstep then locked themselves in...

I have moved a few times since then and not had a complaint for the last 15 years.

Regards Mark

MikeR

posted on 6/7/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably too nice to my neighbours - but i like it that way & have never had a complaint.

Always stop the power tools after 8pm and frequently when they had younger kids 7pm (also i didn't have much motivation at the time).

I don't start making noise till 10am, frequently 11am (Cause i'm lazy).

Soon, i'm going to have to spend a day or two with the angle grinder before i paint the car - not looking forward to that and am thinking of taking some time off work so i don't annoy anyone over a weekend.

On the other hand a bloke down the road uses a circular saw at 9:30pm (and some people think its me )

phelpsa

posted on 6/7/08 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Never had owt, although our houses aren't closely packed.

Our closest neighbour has garden fires next to our gas tank though, even though we have kindly requested that they move it, so i doubt they would complain about anything!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 6/7/08 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
My parents are really anti social and my dad especially is a right miserable sod and although they don't go out of their way to annoy the neighbours they also don't give a monkeys and I thought this was normal for the 20 years that I lived with them. I then joined the RAF and really learned what communal living was about and now I'm out I really value my neighbours. They only really see me in the garage because of me working funny shifts but I always make a point of telling them that if I'm being noisy then to tell me so. It wouldn't stop me from grinding or drilling between 10am and say 7 pm but the offer is always there for them to say lay off for a while.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
noise, smoke, fumes and the all time favorite moan - the lights flickering when I'm welding. Use to upset them all the time, I could put money on if I went out there after dark no matter how quite I was trying to be, I'd knock over a whole exhaust system or the like and they'd be b$tching about it in the morning. When they had their kid I wasn't meant to make a noise after 10! that's when I normaly get going

glad I've moved

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 7/7/08 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Closest thing I've had to a complaint was when I started the engine for the first time, without the exhaust manifold fitted. I build the car in the garrage at the bottom of my neighbour's house. The little old lady jumped clean out of her seat when it fired up. She wasn't really annoyed but did comment on how loud it was.
TimC

posted on 7/7/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
One neighbour opposite complained when I had to bump a trailer up onto the curb and chain it to a lampost while I waited for the place to open to return it the next morning.

I'd have had no problem with this. It shouldn't really have been there. However, when he tried to tell me that another neihbour had 'fallen over it' the evening before my blood started to boil. The trailer hadn't been there the night before. Why lie you F****** ****?

Since then he's stayed well away - obviously saw the fire in my eyes.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/7/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I tried not to upset my neighbours when I was building the car - noisy work done on Saturday in late morning, early afternoon, or inside the garage with the door shut.

On most significant days (engine first start, etc) they came out to have a chat and congratulate me.

I think I've been lucky...

DarrenW

posted on 7/7/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I never upset mine. As mentioned before they had an open invitation to tell me if i caused them any upset. A couple of them were into classic cars anyway so took a keen interest.

One night i had the compressor running until 01.30 when grinding the head. I lost track of time. Next day i asked neigbour if he heard anything, he said there was a feint noise but nothing to worry about.

Ive always been lucky with neighbours - or maybe its cos i always treat them how i expect to be treat.

eznfrank

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
My neighbour complains all the time when "my mates" knock down her washing line with their vans. Thing is none of my mates have vans and she has been told so many a time. Since found out it was a bloke delivering catalogue stuff to HER house

On the upside, he daughter who is about 22 sunbathes topless in her garden which is just outside my garage window - although she usually does it infront of her dad which is just odd???

[Edited on 7/7/08 by eznfrank]

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/7/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PHOTOS!!!

quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
My neighbour complains all the time when "my mates" knock down her washing line with their vans. Thing is none of my mates have vans and she has been told so many a time. Since found out it was a bloke delivering catalogue stuff to HER house

On the upside, he daughter who is about 22 sunbathes topless in her garden which is just outside my garage window - although she usually does it infront of her dad which is just odd???

[Edited on 7/7/08 by eznfrank]

clairetoo

posted on 7/7/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PHOTOS!!!

Why would you want photo's of a knocked down washing line

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 8/7/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I try not to annoy my neighbours, but there's one particular old dear who seemed to take great delight on whinging about everything. She even complained once about me grinding in the afternoon. She asked if I could do it at a less anti-social time! Had another argument with her about where I park my works van, ended up getting angry and told her to bleep off. Not heard a word from her since!
RK

posted on 11/7/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
The only one complaining around my house is the one who puts the kettle on, if I'm nice. The neighbours are all very interested and occasionally one will drop by to help out.

But I'm having trouble visualising the difficulties you personally are having. We must have pics I'm afraid. And don't get the washing line in the way either.

Michael

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
No problems with my neighbours, as the new one is quite keen on cars and was quite surprised when they saw the chassis on the drive.

I always have the garage door down, as i can enter the garage from the rear of house and main machine shops are at the end of the rear garden.

I try not to centre pop or use hammers after 8pm as neighbour has two young children, but i get a warning from my parents if im noisy, as the noise would have to go through parents house before getting near the neighbours, and we are on the end so no neighbours against the garage wall.

I will ask permission and any bedtimes before i run the engine up for the first time as it will be run at idle with no exhaust until the cooling fan cuts in and cooling system bled out.

[Edited on 11/7/08 by Michael]

Benzine

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
My garage is in quite a good spot, never had a complaint. I never use power tools after about 8pm. Next door neighbours always making plenty of noise with parties etc so if they complained it would be pot calling the kettle black. Postman is really interested in my project
Michael

posted on 12/7/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
The other day i was aware of a couple walking theeir dog (see them most days realy, but never spoken to them)

I heard a noise and realised the guy must have stopped to take an interesting look at what i was doing, but the dog had other ideas and pulled him away.

The old neighbours complained of me banging at 8pm, but set off fire works at 1am.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.