Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to cut windshields?
xico_ze54

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
how to cut windshields?

someone knows if there is any technic to cut or saw windshields in our workshops with simple tools?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
if it is polycarbonate use bandsaw/ jigsaw/ scroll saw then file / wet n dry then buff or polish edges- just make sure main surface doesn't get scratched by tools

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

xico_ze54

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I meant regular laminated glass windshields.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
draw the shape you require, then using a carbide glass cutter, carefully score the line on both sides of the screen.

crack around the line you've scored and now you need to run methylated spirits into the cut and light it. it'll soften the middle laminate enough to get some movement and cut it.

never done it myself, but i've seen it done
tom

will121

posted on 16/8/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
i remember seeing it done long while ago, glass cutter to score both pains then methylated spirits or lighter fluid into the crack and set light to it so the inter layer can be melted without damaging the glass edges. must be a alternative method now.
aerosam

posted on 16/8/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
if it is polycarbonate use bandsaw/ jigsaw/ scroll saw then file / wet n dry then buff or polish edges- just make sure main surface doesn't get scratched by tools

Are you allowed to use polycarbonate? I was under the impression that you could only use kitemarked glass.

Delinquent

posted on 16/8/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
The method is very simple (as above, scribe and melt) but if it isn't perfectly flat getting it done is an entirely different ball game. Even professional places I spoke to said they'd want "at least a couple of screens to try" and would offer zero guarantees.

I've heard elsewhere that a diamond bit in an angle grinder can work wonders, but knowing glass I'd like to see exactly how long before you get cracks appearing - I think you'd want to firstly cut it to size, then spend a good amount of time polishing the edge of the glass to minimize the chance of cracking.

AR-CoolC

posted on 16/8/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
The methylated spirit burning bit is a bit "old hat" now.

I use a hot air gun to heat the interlayer and then slice it with a single edge razor blade.

Takes a bit of practice, but works very well.

BTW I'm an ATA Master technician in Automotive Glazing.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

Delinquent

posted on 16/8/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AR-CoolC
The methylated spirit burning bit is a bit "old hat" now.

I use a hot air gun to heat the interlayer and then slice it with a single edge razor blade.

Takes a bit of practice, but works very well.

BTW I'm an ATA Master technician in Automotive Glazing.

what would you reckon on not only success of cut, but longevity of screens? I tried numerous places when designing my car (ideally I'd have liked the sides a bit more tapered from waistline to roofline) but gave up on that idea as everyone was "somewhat dubious" to say the least.

I know they always used to do it - I used to on custom cars with roof mods many moons ago, but things seem to have changed!

AR-CoolC

posted on 17/8/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
What screen are you wanting to cut?

In reality any laminated screen can be cut down further, but some will be much more difficult than others due to the curves etc. It may take a few "practice runs" to get it right.

Put it this way,I've chopped the black obscuration band down into 1inch squares for some research work we were doing a couple of years ago. It took a long time but I did it eventually.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

Delinquent

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
It's the latest Gen Celica I've been looking at. Not that heavily curved, but curved enough that I'm not keen on tackling it!
Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/10/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Somewhere I read that you can cut anything with a plasma cutter provided you have some conductive material to start the arc........
Is there anyone with a plasma cutter and spare windshield??

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Peteff

posted on 6/10/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Would a water jet cutting system do it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/10/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Would a water jet cutting system do it?

Like hot knife through butter...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.