Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: CATERHAM LEVANTE
Daimo_45

posted on 18/10/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
CATERHAM LEVANTE

I'm very opinionated and REALLY love the things I like and hate the things I don't like and one of those is Caterham. It really annoys me they sell so many cars at such stupid prices and are heralded as the bees knees of track cars. In reality the best part of £20k is only going to get you a live axle at the back and outboard at the front when companies like MK and MNR offer IRS, inboard suspension, tubular spaceframes and lightweight steels like T45 at a FRACTION of the price. A top spec CSR will set you back £36k whereas an equivalent to better MNR Vortx Super with all the same trimmings and T45 tubular chassis will cost around £18k factory built. Then today I find out they're selling this turbo gayness for £115k, I was sick in my mouth! Wow, they've managed to source the same engine from the dp1 Coolness and paint the wheels gold! I mean that engine is prob best part of £10k-£15k at most, chuck that in a top spec MK or MNR factory built and you're still looking at less than a CSR price!!!!
mookaloid

posted on 18/10/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daimo_45
A top spec CSR will set you back £36k whereas an equivalent to better MNR Vortx Super with all the same trimmings and T45 tubular chassis will cost around £18k factory built.

No disrespect to the MNR which is an excellent car but the car is not 'equivalent to better' than a Caterham CSR.

You could build a locost with the features you mention too but it still wouldn't be a Caterham either.

If you don't like it - don't buy it!!!!!

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Dario M

posted on 18/10/08 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I like it...click on me

Regards
Dario

NigeEss

posted on 19/10/08 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
it's a fair comment about the price, but i doubt any of the manufacturers you listed could take caterham on head to head in any kind of track based duel.

At this level it will boil down to the driver.
There are probably many people on this site who could whup a Levante in a Locost home built
bag of bolts.
It's a status thing, as mentioned above, Caterham have a huge reputation and therefore
attract clients with money. However, money does not make you a fast driver, it simply
buys you a fast car. Back to my point above.

THE DRIVER

nitram38

posted on 19/10/08 at 03:18 AM Reply With Quote
I just want to know where I can get a set of headlights!

eznfrank

posted on 19/10/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
The logo on the grill aint been thought out too well. Looks more like it means 8 valves than V8.
fesycresy

posted on 19/10/08 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
That is one fugly car, but this on the other hand....

Supercharged Caterham - 1
Supercharged Caterham - 1

Again no disrespect to the above mentioned manufacturers, but a well driven CSR or R500 is something special.

Pity I'm too big boned to own one (forgetting the price for a minute )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

JoelP

posted on 19/10/08 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
that isnt the same engine as the dp1, unless im mistaken?
Danozeman

posted on 19/10/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

and each new owner is required to undertake a two day advanced driving course to make sure they don’t overcook it and park their new cars in a tree.

That just says it all.

I dont like the look of it. 115k would be alot more car and dare i say it, with a roof!!.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 19/10/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Strange how subjective styling is, I thought the lights were by far the worst detail on the car. Love the wheels and the cobra hoops though.

nitram38

posted on 19/10/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Strange how subjective styling is, I thought the lights were by far the worst detail on the car. Love the wheels and the cobra hoops though.

They are small and compact so would be better to hide on my F1-2, than the 5 3/4 jobbies.
Probably can only use two if one is a relocated side light.

procomp

posted on 19/10/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Just a quick question.
Has the OP ever actually driven either a MK - MNR - CSR at any speed around a circuit.

It takes a bit of time but once you get past all the hype over some of the lesser priced kits that are available and you get down to the actual handling and engineering side of things. I would be very surprised if you could actually compare a Cater ham CSR with the likes of a MNR or an MK.

It really pays to remove the rose tinted spectacles and do some real research on the cars you are thinking of building when looking mind.
Whether you can justify spending 39.5 k for a top flight CSR is down to the individual. And it is not that a CSR dose not come with some problems of it's own. But to try and compare the likes of an MK - MNR with a CSR on the handling and build quality is quite frankly ridiculous. That is not however to say that a MK or MNR Etc cant supply better smiles per £ to the individual that dose not realy appreciate the finner quality / performance / handling of the CSR.

You don't often come across Caterhams with valve springs in the racks to pass SVA. Or with chassis that are 1/2"+ out of alignment.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 19/10/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You don't often come across Caterhams with valve springs in the racks to pass SVA. Or with chassis that are 1/2"+ out of alignment.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.