Board logo

Mk Indy with GSXR1000, Sump mod question???
Gixer Indy - 18/7/07 at 11:30 AM

Hi Everyone,
Im a newbie to this game,so please be gentle!
I bought an Mk a few weeks ago, and now im looking to make some improvements.
Could anyone give some advice on sump mods,it's on the standard issue sump at the moment,and the lack of ground clearance concerns me a bit,and the thought of oil starvation on fast road and track days It has an oil cooler from a Hayabusa fitted,and looks to be overfilled,going by the sight glass.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheerz
Colin Rescued attachment KC3.jpg
Rescued attachment KC3.jpg

Hellfire - 18/7/07 at 11:34 AM

So you've bought McLannahans MK.....

Is the standard GSXR sump an odd shape? Got any pictures?

Oh and welcome to the madhouse BTW

Phil

How much clearance do you currently have below the sump and what is your ride height?

[Edited on 18-7-07 by Hellfire]

icecarver - 18/7/07 at 11:47 AM

Hi
Went straight to a dry sump, same as used by
Radical and Stuart Taylor.
Apparantly its the only way your engine will survive.
Carl at Extreme engines Bourne Lincolnshire,
its expensive but very high quality

Gixer Indy - 18/7/07 at 11:50 AM

Hi Phil,Thanks.

I've got 70mm from bung to ground!
The sump looks like this one.

Colin[img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a590892-6e0b_1[1].jpg[/img]

MOz - 18/7/07 at 12:03 PM

What about plumbing in an accusump? Would that be cheaper than dry sumping it????

Also, is the car on adjustable shocks??? Maybe look into raising the ride height a bit for more peace of mind........

MOz

Hellfire - 18/7/07 at 12:14 PM

If your ride height is about 100mm then 70mm clearance isn't really too bad. If you want more clearance, you could have the sump plug relocated to the side (which is probably a good idea anyway) which will give you maybe another 15mm. If you still want more, then you'd need the bottom of the sump chopping and modifying to suit. If you want maximum clearance, then you need a dry sump.

For trackdays you may want to fit a baffle plate at least, or even an Accusump like MOz suggests. The GSXR engines do seem prone to oil starvation when mounted transversely and tracked hard.

Phil

Gixer Indy - 18/7/07 at 12:47 PM

Thanks ppl,

Mike suggested i sign up on here,said what a good bunch you were.

I've measured ride height(taken from frame behind front wheel,and in front of rear wheel,is that the usual place?)
It's about 125mm front and 150mm rear, garage floor not fantastic but good ish!

Who do i contact for chops/baffles/accusump? what sort of prices are we talking about?

Are there any events worth going to coming up,it's been a few years since i was in the car club scene,about 17 i think,and that was the good old Capri,RIP! messed about with bikes for a few years,and now this thing,a car with a bike engine,result!
I've gone off bikes a bit now(for the last 2 weeks anyway! ) if you try going sideways at 60 on one of those,you end up kissing tarmac,unless your name is Rossi of course,but any idiot can do it BEC! but not on public roads of course

Colin

worX - 18/7/07 at 12:53 PM

Hi there Colin,

the Donnington Park Kit Car Show is coming up in September (15th/16th) It's not the best show of the year for trade stands and so on, but it is very well attended by the owners clubs, so you will get to meet up a lot of the people on this site and have some good banter...

I am not sure he does dry sump's for your engine specifically, but I have received nothing but good advice and assistance from Andy Bates of ABPerformance, I know he has worked on a few K2 engines in his time. His number is 01449 736 633 - once again I don't get anything from recommending him, just passing on details of someone I've receivedgreat service from!

Kind regards,
Steve

Gixer Indy - 18/7/07 at 01:10 PM

Thanks Steve,

That sounds good to me,not too bothered about trade stands,as with this interweb thingy you can get most things without having to leave the house,or more importantly,the garage!
I look forward to meeting fellow petrol heads.

Im glad I signed up now,if someone could just perfect the smell-o-vision,and get petrol fumes coming out of the speakers!

Colin

zxrlocost - 18/7/07 at 05:19 PM

Hi Colin

if you contact Andy as Steve has said and tell him your in the BEC club what car youve got hell give some advice and sort you out if you purchase from him

thanks chris