Board logo

Keyless immobiliser question
chrsgrain - 26/9/06 at 07:37 PM

Hi all,

have just finished wiring up my keyless immobiliser.... just get in the car with a transponder with you, press a button hidden under the dash for the ignition, then another hidden button for the starter, and off you go...

Qustion is, will that pass the SVA rules - read all the stuff in the archives, but I really can't tell. Have taken the steering lock off and there are no keyed locks...

If it won't pass, what else can I fit to make it work?

Thanks

Chris

oliwb - 26/9/06 at 08:21 PM

You'll still need another form of security I think because the steering lock is missing....you could fit a battery isolator switch somewhere....that should do the trick....Oli.

Tricky Dave - 27/9/06 at 12:38 PM

Wow!

Love it! Where on earth do you get them from?!

Cheers

Dave

DarrenW - 29/9/06 at 09:22 AM

There was a report in newspaper the other day about AA or RAC man etc who went to a womans house to start her car. tried a few things then noticed a hole in the key where the chip used to be. It was then that she said something dropped out and the dog grabbed it before she could get it back. The recovery guy then sat the dog on passenger seat and the car started up!!!!!!!

martyn_16v - 29/9/06 at 09:26 AM

Yup, that was here in Addlestone apparently. Really doesn't suprise me, there are some real wrong'uns around here, they'd all be sat outside on the porch strumming a banjo if they didn't have Sky TV.

Lovely area though

DarrenW - 29/9/06 at 10:29 AM

After that hijack i guess i should contribute to the primary question.

i junked the sierra steering lock. Fitted ign switch on dash with seperate savage start button and a toad immobiliser. Passed no probs.

Doesnt the book say something about 2 forms that cannot be operated by the driver when car is running?? Cant remember exact wording now. I know some have fitted a cut off switch under the bonnet.

To be honest i would have thought the transponder style immobiliser would be OK on its own. Is it home made or bought? If bought you can take the spec with you to prove it cant arm (read cut ignition) with engine running etc. If you had a key switch as well then this would be a secondary anti theft device, im just wondering if your hidden switch will count as well.