Board logo

Lsd diff, twitchy or okay
locost 7 k - 20/2/14 at 08:36 AM

What's people's opinions on an lsd for track and road driving?

mark chandler - 20/2/14 at 08:49 AM

My standard sierra is great, no twitchiness just lots if drive.

twybrow - 20/2/14 at 08:51 AM

I love mine - it took a few weeks of driving to adjust, but I find it very predictable now (Quaife diff in an English axle). You need to be on your toes, as without a lsd, you almost get a bit of traction control as it will tend to spin up the inside wheel, whereas with a lsd, you just go sideways!

peter030371 - 20/2/14 at 09:04 AM

Having fitted a Quiafe unit to my live-axle Striker many years ago I wouldn't be without one now

Its not at all twitchy and with no sudden loss of grip to a spinning wheel I would say its less twitchy than without!

My new car will have one from day one this time

CosKev3 - 20/2/14 at 09:11 AM

Anyone else with a lsd notice a bit of lift of oversteer at high revs?

peter030371 - 20/2/14 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

On several track days I have gone around a bend to find a car sideways across the track and going nowhere fast, in both the dry and wet conditions.....this is the closest I have got to lifting off at high revs on a bend and its always behaved perfectly.

locost 7 k - 20/2/14 at 09:18 AM

Well the feedback is good so far

CosKev3 - 20/2/14 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:

On several track days I have gone around a bend to find a car sideways across the track and going nowhere fast, in both the dry and wet conditions.....this is the closest I have got to lifting off at high revs on a bend and its always behaved perfectly.

BEC or CEC?

Noticed it in a MK indy with a R1 eng I drove on the road,slight bend and was accelerating at high revs when a car I was about to overtake decided to overtake the car in front without checking his mirror.
I backed straight off the accelerator and thats when I felt the rear end trying to take control!

amalyos - 20/2/14 at 11:14 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:

BEC or CEC?

Noticed it in a MK indy with a R1 eng I drove on the road,slight bend and was accelerating at high revs when a car I was about to overtake decided to overtake the car in front without checking his mirror.
I backed straight off the accelerator and thats when I felt the rear end trying to take control!

That sounds like more to do with weigh transfer to the front as you back off going round a corner. It's natural to get the rear loose if you back off on a bend.

garyo - 20/2/14 at 05:42 PM

Loved mine, but as some have said, in some cases you get less grip, rather than more... Makes the car more predictable though, and much much more fun!