Board logo

Are vinyl arch protectors any good?
Irony - 23/3/15 at 10:46 PM

As title really. Do vínyl arch protectors actually work or will the arches just get damaged underneath the vinyl by larger stones? I have access to a vinyl cutter etc and could do some very easily.

austin man - 23/3/15 at 11:07 PM

I would say no good the arches will probably crack beneath the covers I fitted aluminium to mine and these have taken a battering

steve m - 23/3/15 at 11:18 PM

Try wearing a cling film visor on a motorbike, and report back in a couple of weeks ?

Ben_Copeland - 24/3/15 at 06:46 AM

Can't see it helping much. Big or sharp stones will still damage the arch underneath.

I used carbon sheet to protect mine

Irony - 24/3/15 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Try wearing a cling film visor on a motorbike, and report back in a couple of weeks ?

I was thinking the same actually but this solution would be dead easy for me and some people on here seem to have used them. Guess I am just trying to get out of making ali ones.

leon51274 - 24/3/15 at 09:11 AM

I ran carbon look a like with a clear laminate over the top and it handled it reasonably well although you do need to replace them over time.

aka Keith - 24/3/15 at 10:12 AM

I run vinyl rear arch protectors, (I may have done double layered - I cannot remember) but they have been on the car for a least 4 years and I have had no probs with them to date. I used to have aluminium on the rear and they started to pit and show the scuffs really quickly so at the moment very happy with the vinyl protectors.

Slimy38 - 24/3/15 at 12:33 PM

I vaguely remember someone mentioning helicopter tape as doing a decent job?

Irony - 24/3/15 at 01:09 PM

Just been through to the print shop and we have some really thick clear vinyl that we lay onto digitally printed floors. I might try two layers of that plus a coloured layer and see what happens.

Angel Acevedo - 24/3/15 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
I run vinyl rear arch protectors, (I may have done double layered - I cannot remember) but they have been on the car for a least 4 years and I have had no probs with them to date. I used to have aluminium on the rear and they started to pit and show the scuffs really quickly so at the moment very happy with the vinyl protectors.

On the lines of your experience stated above:
I would see them as sacrificial.
Thinking out loud they should be:
- Cheap.
- Either fairly pliable and thick to absorb impact or fairly rigid (or very) to withstand impacts without deforming
- Easy to replace.
- Maintain fairly good appearance for given replacement frequency. This last one takes us back to first one.
All of the above subject to personal preference.
HTH others to make selection easy.