Board logo

First snow fall
jacko - 3/2/12 at 06:15 PM

Well i think Hull has been lucky so far this year it snowed for the first time last night [ not a lot ]
but it was snow
Jacko

big_wasa - 3/2/12 at 06:19 PM

It wasnt very nice going over the wolds to Immingham this morning.

Volvorsport - 3/2/12 at 06:24 PM

is it gonna get worse ?

im flying back in tomorrow.....

bobinspain - 3/2/12 at 06:26 PM

I was sunbathing a week ago, 19c and calm.
Today, clear as a bell, windy and 7c. Dog's water bowl froze over during the night too, so sub zero.
Minus 2c forecast for tonight as well.
100% dry is a blessing though, (no need for salting the roads).

bi22le - 3/2/12 at 06:43 PM

I am flying to Fuerteventura tomorrow, dont really care what happens after 16:00 in this country!

Expecting low 20's and windy, I want to learn how to windsurf.

JoelP - 3/2/12 at 06:57 PM

Was thinking of doing a job in hull today but couldnt be bothered, dont want to risk getting stuck there Hell no.

Meant to snow a lot tomorrow afternoon, up to 4 inch.

bobinspain - 3/2/12 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I am flying to Fuerteventura tomorrow, dont really care what happens after 16:00 in this country!

Expecting low 20's and windy, I want to learn how to windsurf.

Temperatures ok bi22le, but the wind forecast is between 25 and 40kph for the next 10 days. You'll fly back to UK without a 'plane!

whitestu - 3/2/12 at 10:09 PM

quote:

I want to learn how to windsurf.

Good luck - It can take a while, but nothing is more fun!

Stu

JoelP - 4/2/12 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

I want to learn how to windsurf.

Good luck - It can take a while, but nothing is more fun!

Stu

Its like trying to fight a guy who's bigger than you, under water. Exhausting!

Ninehigh - 4/2/12 at 12:33 PM

We're close... It's -2 here and raining

Peteff - 4/2/12 at 04:58 PM

We're getting a light dusting of powder here, it's been falling for about an hour and just covering the slabs.

bigfoot4616 - 4/2/12 at 05:08 PM

must be getting close to 3" here and still coming down quite thickly. we weren't meant to get much.
had to abandon my van at the bottom of the hill and walk up.

ReMan - 4/2/12 at 05:27 PM

Been light for the last three hour but only about an inch so far

But I'm prepared for once with my new toy

JoelP - 4/2/12 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Been light for the last three hour but only about an inch so far

But I'm prepared for once with my new toy

I thought i was prepared too, but now the damned jeep wont start!

Furyous - 4/2/12 at 07:43 PM

I've just come back from Herefordshire and had an interesting drive over Birdlip on the A417. Down to 30mph on a dual carriageway and still squirming around on a couple of inches of snow. It wasn't too bad if I kept behind a lorry. Lots of people driving too close for dry conditions, never mind snow.

The M4 was clear, although visibility was down a fair bit. It was like going warp speed in Star Trek.

We've got friends flying out to New Zealand from Heathrow tonight, so hopefully it won't be one of the cancelled ones. I'm flying out next Saturday so I'm a little nervous about things getting worse.

fullpint - 4/2/12 at 08:05 PM

just over 2 inches here in Rudloe and still falling. Just made a snowman for our grandchild.. Cant wait to take her out in it tomorrow, shes only 13 months and never seen the white stuff..
Was gonna take the MK out just for some photo's..

mark chandler - 4/2/12 at 08:17 PM

Snowing in Uxbridge, near Haethrow but not much yet, like a dusted cake.

Tried the windsurfing thing 30 years ago, after 1 day could cross a lake and get back 500 yards further down, good luck! I gave up after spending 95% of my time in the water

Hard work

daniel mason - 4/2/12 at 08:30 PM

loads here. i reckon 3" easy

trextr7monkey - 4/2/12 at 09:25 PM

0" here but ironically taking the kids to see Snowpatrol in Newcastle tomorrow night, so expecting a big pile in the morning!

morcus - 5/2/12 at 08:10 AM

It snowed all night here, I spent 8 hours at work watching the horrible stuff fall from the sky. We forced the fire door open at 5 and the snow behind it was 10" deep.

adithorp - 5/2/12 at 09:41 AM

Had 2-3" of inches here. The first 1 1/2" came down pretty quick and covered the roads despite gritting. Spent a fun hour sat in the upstairs window of a friends house watching car billiards. She lives on a hill and right outside it's about 5% but then turns sharp left (neg camber) and becomes 15%. There's temp light higer up the hill and a narrow bridge with lights on it at the bottom so the cars come in groups.
One car after another approches the bend too fast, slams the breaks on and tank slappers down thge hill bouncing off the curbs... and any cars stuck (with owners swapping insurance details).

Ones that stood out were...
The Focus coming with wheels doing 100mph but only just moving, Merc M class goes to over take, looses traction and they are drifting side by side to the wrong side of the bend (camber) and a bus, and a luton van under-take them both like it was on a dry road.
4 cars (3 4x4s) come down (too quick), all loose it and end up sideways in the road. Old chap (at least 80) goes past in a Fusion and just drives between them. Same guy comes back up the hill 5min later and weaves between the next lot that are stuck.
One guy had lost it in a BMW5 and parked up half on the verge, in the obvious to anyone, worst spot. Got rear ended by a Merc. Merc then reversed clear, set off and hit him again... 3 times! Then a Beetle manages to stop just before hitting it... then gets shunted in by a RangeRover.

Got bored after an hour.

iank - 5/2/12 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
0" here but ironically taking the kids to see Snowpatrol in Newcastle tomorrow night, so expecting a big pile in the morning!

2-3mm here in Newcastle, none in the forecast and it should all melt through the day with temps of 4degreesC.

[Edited on 5/2/12 by iank]

scootz - 5/2/12 at 09:50 AM

I'm in Madeira so will be getting a shock when home tomorrow!

Was watching Sky news and see there's the usual muppets getting themselves stuck on the highways and blaming the authorities.

JoelP - 5/2/12 at 10:04 AM

Cant complain about the council in leeds, they actually had a snow plow down my road! Never seen them do that before.

bobinspain - 5/2/12 at 10:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Cant complain about the council in leeds, they actually had a snow plow down my road! Never seen them do that before.

Here's a thought------ "How does the snow-plough driver get to work in the morning?" Steven Wright.

Talon Motorsport - 5/2/12 at 11:48 AM

6-7 inches here any thing less than a 4X4 with mud tyres on is getting stuck.

splitrivet - 5/2/12 at 05:29 PM

quote:

Went to see em last night in Birmingham, absolutely brill but take a bag of sweets that way you can stuff one in each ear so you dont have to listen to the support band.
Cheers,
Bob

Furyous - 5/2/12 at 06:05 PM

It's turning to slush around here. While I was out I saw an Impreza or Evo on the side of the road with a police car behind it flashing its lights. I thought they'd been pulled over but it turned out there was another Impreza or Evo in the ditch. Something tells me some friends were pushing each other too hard.

I saw a couple of other smashed up cars abandoned on the side of the roads.

jacko - 5/2/12 at 06:16 PM

We had about 75mm off snow last night but it has thawed most of the day and its not to bad now

Just looked out the window and its foggy [ don't like freezing fog ]
Jacko

[Edited on 5/2/12 by jacko]

femster87 - 5/2/12 at 07:34 PM

Got caught out in it whilst house hunting yesterday. lets says its the most interesting 20miles I have ever had to drive in a rear wheel drive merc. what a pain. I hate round abouts soo much right now. once you finally get going and hit another one, the sideways slides starts all over again

Simon - 5/2/12 at 07:41 PM

Me and a friend been waiting for this again

8.15 start this morning

ATB

Simon

jacko - 5/2/12 at 08:31 PM

Where are your lights and high viz jackets

That photo looks very

Snowy

Simon - 5/2/12 at 09:41 PM

Rear light under my seat and front is on my helmet. Given that approx 12 of the 14 miles was offroad, not too worried about hi-viz

ATB

Simon

trextr7monkey - 6/2/12 at 11:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
quote:

Went to see em last night in Birmingham, absolutely brill but take a bag of sweets that way you can stuff one in each ear so you dont have to listen to the support band.
Cheers,
Bob

Spot on advice as usual ,great gig but support needed to lose the vocalist!
atb
Mike