Board logo

so how many of you are not in work today
omega0684 - 6/1/10 at 10:40 AM

well im one of them, i can't even get out of my street!

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 10:41 AM

i'm not! won't be for a while either... lol

stevec - 6/1/10 at 10:43 AM

I'm in you big girl Alex, I went to Rolls Royce at Ansty first, then down the Fosse way to Warwick.
Steve.

[Edited on 6/1/10 by stevec]

locostbuyer83 - 6/1/10 at 10:45 AM

Im in eastbourne, east sussex and its not even laying here. We're all at work but most of our customers around the UK seem to have snow and are going home!
how is that fair?

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I'm in you big girl Alex

er, rephrase?

tomgregory2000 - 6/1/10 at 10:48 AM

im not at work either

mcerd1 - 6/1/10 at 10:49 AM

it took me an hour to get the car off the drive after another 4" of snow last night, but I'm at work

(hang on that should have been: I'm at work )

[Edited on 6/1/10 by mcerd1]

smart51 - 6/1/10 at 10:51 AM

You're big wooses all of you. I got in to work through the snow. I was even early. The Peugeot has so little low down torque that it can't spin the wheels even in snow.

nib1980 - 6/1/10 at 10:52 AM

i woke up to NO snow in Wellingborough, and drove to work in Cranfield which has about 6 inches, only 15 miles away

adithorp - 6/1/10 at 10:53 AM

I'm in and I was in yesterday. All my customers have phoned up and canceled thier jobs though. Just doing some paper work and going home.

adrian

02GF74 - 6/1/10 at 10:54 AM

yes and no.

got into work but been told to bu88er off!!

Coopz - 6/1/10 at 10:55 AM

Got a text from work saying there shutting so no need to attempt to get in just only wish the parts I ordered arrived yesterday so i could get on with fitting them!

mads - 6/1/10 at 10:55 AM

I'm at work and on-call last night and tonight... hey hum.

corrado vr6 - 6/1/10 at 10:55 AM

I tried
Got so far and had to turn back, RWD vans insnow are crap!!

MK9R - 6/1/10 at 10:59 AM

Got to work in the disco, not too bad, but hammering it down again now. I have a 50 mile each way commute so may head of at lunchtime if its still going

r1_pete - 6/1/10 at 11:00 AM

I'm in, but we got the deep snow yesterday, was in then too.

Mr Whippy - 6/1/10 at 11:03 AM

Pathetic, we’ve had loads of snow and the roads are all ice where I live and I’ve been in everyday on half worn low profiles and a 21 year old car. The guy I work with has now for the second day stayed at home moaning that he can’t get up the hill outside his house and yet why the feck did he park at the bottom if he can’t cope?!?!

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 11:04 AM

i would if i had anny work to go to lol

Description
Description

McLannahan - 6/1/10 at 11:09 AM

Blake - Is that the view from your gaff?

Looks lovely!

MikeR - 6/1/10 at 11:20 AM

Alex you wuss.

Kicked the g/f out of bed at 6:45 so she could walk the dog. She came back and said the main roads are clear.

I then left nuneaton, drove via the villages bulkington, shilton and ansty to coventry.

Sat here now wondering if i'll get told off for trying to park on the overflow car park - two perfect 90 degree handbrakes getting in and a 180 when i got to the bottom of the car park and couldn't find any marked spaces .... used to be a black car park with the spaces delimited by white lines. Some idiot painted it all white over night so i didn't know where to park

GMPMotorsport - 6/1/10 at 11:20 AM

Drove from Lincoln to Letchworth office with no problems, just hope the return trip is as good later this afternoon.

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

Looks lovely!

sure is its super awesome here.
driveway sticks out the side of the house, so when i'm working on the car outside, i've got that to look at. its brilliant in the summer

McLannahan - 6/1/10 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

Looks lovely!

sure is its super awesome here.
driveway sticks out the side of the house, so when i'm working on the car outside, i've got that to look at. its brilliant in the summer

Must be so chilling to look at that. Makes me think of holiday! Is it possible to walk around to the other side? I appreciate that's some distance but would be a cracking walk!

fesycresy - 6/1/10 at 11:34 AM

Most of us stuck at home, a few have had to venture out to site.

Just working out the wage bill for the day with no income

Do you all get paid on 'snow day'?

Off to the chippy now

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 11:34 AM

its the river clyde, so i guess you could, but it would take you a while!
maps

its even a very long drive. about 2 hours 20 minutes or so i think (assuming you can average the speed limit on the wiggly roads. google only gives directions saying use the ferry... what you see in the photo is hunters quay (next to dunoon)

[Edited on 6/1/10 by blakep82]

whitestu - 6/1/10 at 11:37 AM

Drove from London to Oxford no problems this morning.

McLannahan - 6/1/10 at 11:47 AM

quote:
its the river clyde, so i guess you could, but it would take you a while!
maps

its even a very long drive. about 2 hours 20 minutes or so i think (assuming you can average the speed limit on the wiggly roads. google only gives directions saying use the ferry... what you see in the photo is hunters quay (next to dunoon)

[Edited on 6/1/10 by blakep82]

Ahh....I stupidly assumed it was a lake or the mouth of an estuary!

Still beautiful though. Is property still cheaper up in Scotland or a myth these days??

David Jenkins - 6/1/10 at 11:55 AM

I'm working at home - it was throwing it down at "going to work time" - but hardly anything's fallen since 10:00. Rumour has it that the heavy stuff's coming this arvo...

Still - it's really easy for me to do my work at home (the wonders of Citrix) so the company's not lost out... in fact, I think I do more at home 'cos the boss can't bother me every 5 minutes!

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 11:55 AM

not sure^ not really looked at prices anywhere else. i do remember seeing a 1 bedroom flat for sale at £3000 (yes, 3 grand) a few years back, but it was properly rank lol. also saw a 11 bed hotel at the same time for about £200k. think its all changed since then though

oldtimer - 6/1/10 at 11:55 AM

Not too bad Bath way. Walked in accross the fields instead of cycling - our village has a choice of 3 nasty hill start junctions to get out. Not looking forward to tomorrow with -5 deg C predicted overnight....

Dangle_kt - 6/1/10 at 11:57 AM

I probably could have just made it, if id have tried, even though there is a lot of snow here in liverpool and on route to manchester. But its a 2 hour drive in the morning normally and I have read the m62 wasn't much fun with multipul accidents yesterday so took today as a day off.

Mrs is currently having a lie in, and then I'm going to try and rescue something from the day with some time in the garage.

Off next week too - so hopefully get to work from home for the rest of the week...

BenB - 6/1/10 at 11:59 AM

Load of wooses.

My car was parked on a 30 degree hill which was ungritted (unadopted). I got into my car okay but as soon as I gave it any gas it just slid sideways and started rotating downhill (essentially torque steering). Had a think, then gave it a load of beans (usually the answer ), car completely slid sideways and rotated until it was facing down the hill. Job done. The wife screamed for the entire procedure. Drove off down the hill (hoping I was going to be able to avoid picking up speed!!) and drove round the back route to work. Took 2 minutes longer than normal.

Now sat looking out the window wondering how I'm going to get home because I have to go up that hill

dan__wright - 6/1/10 at 12:03 PM

me and the mrs are at home today but both working remotley althoguh we have both said its more productive that being at the offices as no one bothers us.

mcerd1 - 6/1/10 at 12:17 PM

quote:
not sure^ not really looked at prices anywhere else. i do remember seeing a 1 bedroom flat for sale at £3000 (yes, 3 grand) a few years back, but it was properly rank lol. also saw a 11 bed hotel at the same time for about £200k. think its all changed since then though

pitty its in Greenock thought

McLannahan,
it depends what you think is cheap, over here on the east coast a pokey wee 1 bed flat in edinburgh will still set you back 100k or more

l0rd - 6/1/10 at 12:22 PM

Woke up, Had a shower, had breakfast, got dressed

and i got the email from work

All campuses will be closed for students.
Staff still need to get to work!!!!

Unless, it is not safe to do so, in this case contact your manager and let them know what you will be working at from home.

Checked the cameras on Motorways as my work is 60 miles away, had a quick walk around the block to check the roads, went home, tried to call my line manager with no success,

OFF to bed. woke up an hour ago.

plentywahalla - 6/1/10 at 12:26 PM

Left home at 5.45, three cold hours later arrived at London City Airport to be told flight is cancelled, three hours later now back home.

So 6 cold hours achieving nothing!! will now spend all afternoon on internet trying to get my money back.

Shoudl have stayed in warm bed.....

blakep82 - 6/1/10 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

even worse, it was in port glasgow! i threw up in my mouth a little

Kriss - 6/1/10 at 12:32 PM

In in Purley and we have a good few inches, but a few miles north is just a sprinkling. Work is in Horsham near Gatwick which got hit hard.

WFH today

McLannahan - 6/1/10 at 12:36 PM

quote:
quote:

McLannahan,
it depends what you think is cheap, over here on the east coast a pokey wee 1 bed flat in edinburgh will still set you back 100k or more

Grandpa's (RIP) wife lives in Ediburgh - It seems like even more than London prices where she lives - crazy.

Never properly been to Scotland to have a good look around. Have done the touristy Edinburgh a couple of times and an afternoon in Glasgow.

I dream of a huge cheap property - endless barns for cars but not be too far out in the sticks - with Blake's view! Not a stretch I think!?

gttztt - 6/1/10 at 12:37 PM

You know its bad when there is snow in Selsey. Its been snowing since 07.30.
Anyone for a track day at Goodwood?

mookaloid - 6/1/10 at 12:53 PM

my drive in this morning - 20 miles of it!

Description
Description

thefreak - 6/1/10 at 12:56 PM

Been working at home this week. Being a network manager means IT support is easy from home so dont need to be in the office.
Plus what's the point trying to get into work to get paid, have an accident and have to spend that day's wages on the excess.
Plus the boss is in India until Sunday so no one to hassle me other than idiot users who are trying to work from home and dont know how to run terminal services from their Vista home PC

mad4x4 - 6/1/10 at 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
my drive in this morning - 20 miles of it!

Description
Description

Mine was about the same for the first 10 Miles . Work now looks like that and it's dinging down in DYCE Aberdeen

ashg - 6/1/10 at 01:17 PM

drove from Rochester to Basingstoke and back today to pick up a gearbox. went along the m20, up the m26 round the m25 then down the m3. no problems whatsoever.

bassett - 6/1/10 at 01:25 PM

Hour and a bit late but i made it from the sticks into the city. God i hope it takes less time to get home.

mcerd1 - 6/1/10 at 01:26 PM

I just went home for lunch there (its only 5 miles) and found the counsil have been out again and blocked off my road with a wall of snow

dan__wright - 6/1/10 at 01:55 PM

quote:
I just went home for lunch there (its only 5 miles) and found the counsil have been out again and blocked off my road with a wall of snow

last nigh we were very tempted to make a huge snowball and block out cul de sac off but though better of it lol

marcjagman - 6/1/10 at 02:12 PM

As a carer for my missus I don't go out to work, I stay in and do it. If I did go to work I couldn't because there is that much snow here I wouldn't be able to get out.

stevebubs - 6/1/10 at 02:52 PM

wuss! I'm 250 miles from home in Blackpool....

SteveWalker - 6/1/10 at 03:39 PM

Went to work yesterday - over an hour and a half for a less than 20 minute drive. Got there and couldn't get through the access road to one set of car parks, due to other vehicles getting stuck. Tried the access road to the other car parks only to see others struggling to leave and finding snow so deep that I didn't dare stop. I ended up driving home while it was still possible to get out.

Phoned in this morning and the building is closed to us.

As they've closed the building and as it was their access problems yesterday, I am hoping to still get paid (I'm a contractor), as I know that they did it recently when they sent people home from their plant in Cumbria due to the floods before Christmas.

locostbuyer83 - 6/1/10 at 03:49 PM

im still at work... less than a cm outside!

coozer - 6/1/10 at 03:52 PM

I'm not a t work today.. in fact haven't been since July when they sacked me!!

NS Dev - 6/1/10 at 04:17 PM

I'm at work, but then working for yourself makes you that bit more determined!!

The shogun loves the snow (about 5 inches or so), though a 7.5 tonner was too much for it to drag out this morning, managed 3 cars so far though. Have left the chain on the back now, can't be bothered to keep putting it away

The 7.5 tonner took us TWO jcb's to move, so slippery at one point that even in a 4wd jcb loadall I didn't have enough grip to tension the bloody chain!

[Edited on 6/1/10 by NS Dev]

Danozeman - 6/1/10 at 04:29 PM

i was in a work today. No snow this morning but came down nicely at dinner time. Got home which is the main thing. Day off tomorrow whether itl be anual leave or snow day leave is another matter

Jasper - 6/1/10 at 05:08 PM

Yeah, took the day off too, could probably have got there, but shouldn't think any customers would have bothered coming in, so no paint really.

Spent the day in the garage getting the engine out of the Mini ready for an overhaul, overbore and upgrade to Stage 3

Stuart_B - 6/1/10 at 06:10 PM

i had to go to, work woke up, no snow, lefted for work, 2 minutes later, a billzard evry one was doing 15-20mph, and i has late for work, and got told off.

and been told i must be in tommorow on time no matter what.

this is the first time i have been late, on loads of times i have waited for other blokes to trun up. i am realy mad now.

stuart

clairetoo - 6/1/10 at 07:09 PM

I've been to work today - followed by a trip into Derby down ungritted back roads - flippin slippy , even the clear bits were giving me 3rd gear wheelspin
I did have a bit of a laugh this afternoon watching a fedex delivery driver trying to get out of a yard up a slight slope opposite work - he was using the modern `if some revs is good , more has to be better' technique
I got bored and went back in after 15 minutes.............wonder if he's still there

JoelP - 6/1/10 at 08:40 PM

i got across the penines to bolton, but had to take the jeep. The motorways were fine, except 3rd lane in places, but little roads were crazy - i measured 7,5" of snow at the job. Which is officially the deepest snow i have ever seen