Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: way OT: Electric shavers
bi22le

posted on 8/12/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
way OT: Electric shavers

Where best to ask about mens shavers than a forum for men (and Clairetoo + others!)

I have very sensitive skin and HATE shaving. I currently wet shave and have to spend time warming facial hair, moosing up and use a nice clean decent sharp blade. At times its still like im plucking my hair out, its hell!!!

Luckily I am baby faced and only shave once a week. I have to close shave as my wife detestes facial hair and work would not like it.

My concerns are, do electric shaves shave close enough to look and feel close? Do electric shaves cut hair well or do they chomp at it part cutting, part plucking?

Any advice on particular shaver types? I dont want santa to spend too much money on one as I may not get on with it.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

britishtrident

posted on 8/12/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
An electric saver will never shave as close as a real razor nor will it get into every nook and cranny but Phillips do a 2 rotor battery shaver (Philips PQ203/17 Pocket Shaver) it costs £15 from Sainsburys it works fine for me (and I have a heavy growth) makes an excellent job and the batteries last for a long time.
I buy a new one every year and the old one goes into the glove box of the tintop.

On Sainsburys site.....................

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 8/12/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for you, I'm the total opposite- face tough as leather! I used to wet shave regularly, but got tired of the excessive cost of decent wet shave razor blades. So last year, Santa bought me a posh beard trimmer set (Philips, like hair clipper style, also includes nose hair trimmer, styling attachment etc.). I use this most of the time, but when I wanted to be properly shaved, I'd use this first then wet shave, which made it easier. I tried typical shavers and didn't really get on with them on the whole.

Another option is to pay a visit to your local Turkish barber shop once in a while.... they'll steam your face, use a hot towel, then give you a proper "cut throat razor" shave which is the best I've ever had. Beware if you don't like fire near your face though, as they'll probably use a lit taper to singe your nose and ear hairs (if applicable) back!!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

steve m

posted on 8/12/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can not get on with wet shaving, as I seem to cut very easily so I use a Remington triple head electric razer to get most of the hairs off/short, then a braun foil razer to get as close to the skin, and then whip over with the Remington again

Yet I still get to work with the odd elusive strand, so have a bic in my locker for the last hair(s)

I HATE SHAVING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

twybrow

posted on 8/12/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have used an electric shaver for 10 years now. I go for the Philips range that work wet and dry. You can use shaving foam/gel with it, or use it dry. I use it dry, and shave every other day, but you can also use it in the shower if that works better for your sensitive skin. In 10 years, I have had to buy just one set of replacement foils, so I feel I get good value from mine! I like the fact I can shave whilst half asleep, and not slice myself to bits - I used to always end up bleeding!
daviep

posted on 8/12/13 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Like you neither my wife or my boss appreciate the bearded look, so to humour them I run my hair clippers over my beard every 2 weeks whether I need to or not! I tend to clip my beard at the same time as my hair, #1 guard for my hair, no guard for the beard and if I've got to look presentable for meetings or such I get the wife to tidy up my neck line with a bic. It's all about compromise

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/12/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Splurge and get permanent hair removal...
Done (ala gordon Ramsay)...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/12/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Like you and others I detest shaving, always have. Tried foiled and rotary razors and just couldn't get on with them not close enough and they seem to just pluck the hairs rather than cut them. Gillette Mach 3 and a good gel is the only thing that seems to work for me and best when straight out of a hot shower too when your skins soft.

That said, I quit shiv g a couple of years ago and now grade 1 my face along with my head every couple of weeks. Much easier

ceebmoj

posted on 8/12/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be in the same boat and hate shaving. I got a DE razor some feather blades and good brush. Now I never have any iteration and as a bonus blades cost about 10p each and last a week.

have a look at http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59/videos for guides

David Jenkins

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Tried shaving a couple of times when I was a teenager - decided that it was a stupid way to start a morning... I've had a beard for the last 40-odd years!

But now I'm looking for a replacement beard trimmer as my old Remington is starting to fall apart. Trouble is, they're either mains powered or rechargeable - I don't have a proper isolated power socket in my bathroom, and rechargeable batteries are not much use if you only use the thing once or twice a month; the last one I had packed up when it was barely over 12 months old. My current machine uses 3 AA batteries that last me over a year...

Simon

posted on 9/12/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you could try the subject of many many amusing reviews. How well it works, and if you get any allergic reactions are nothing to do with me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veet-Men-Hair-Removal-Creme/dp/B000KKNQBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386627621&sr=8-1&keywords=mens+hair+removal+crea m

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 10/12/13 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I saw those reviews a little while ago - caused many a giggle! But I do have a very childish sense of humour...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.