Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bees
joneh

posted on 29/4/21 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Bees

Afternoon all,

Last year I decided that I'd do a bee keeping course, but due to the pandemic the practical sessions were delayed until later in the year, meaning we missed swarm season. Fast forward to last weekend and I had my first swarm turn up. These were caught locally, hanging off someone's house. We then dumped them out onto a ramp in front of my hive and they made their way up into the hive and have decided to stay.

I thought I'd share some pictures here as it was an amazing site to see a river of approximately 10,000 bees. I have a few more photos but the website decided to start moaning about filetypes.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

watsonpj

posted on 29/4/21 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
So cool, i have been thinking about doing this for a few years now so I'd bee :-) interested in updates on how you get on with it.
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/21 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
We had a queen settle in one of the bushes at the front of the house, the swarm was massive but it was everywhere. We contacted a local beekeeper and they were more than happy to come and collect it. My wife went to see them a few days later and they were well established in a hive, we were so happy.

They warned us that occasionally the queen doesn't survive but they went fine. It must be such a satisfying hobby when they do establish a new hive.

Ian.C

posted on 29/4/21 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to here this, bee's are more important than most people think.
Ian.C

posted on 29/4/21 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I spelt hear wrong, I'm not as young as I was!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.