Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: COVID
jacko

posted on 3/4/22 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
COVID

Well just over two years. I have been caught by the dreaded covid and so has my daughter we did tests this morning
And feel crap
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 3/4/22 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Snap, we've both been fine all lockdowns but SWMBO's brought it home from school testing positive last Sunday. I started feeling rough Wednesday night and tested positive Thursday morning.

For me, it's like a cold, sore throat and a bit achy, but with incredible fatigue that I really wasn't expecting. I think day 3 has been the worst for both of us and it starts easing off, but YMMV.

I hope you're back on your feet soon.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/4/22 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck on the recovery, I had the same just after Xmas. 2 years of being super safe, decided to risk visiting family and then caught it off their kids.

For me the symptoms were pretty mild, though the fatigue was very noticeable. It seemed to clear up fairly quick (3 days) and I was into a high stress work issue and back to exercise but it was a mistake. I'd urge you to take it easy.

5 weeks later I had been trying to get back into exercise but failed miserably every time - heart rate would just sky rocket to 185 after 500m of jogging. Took medication to return to being fairly normal.

big_wasa

posted on 3/4/22 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep two years of being out and about with work and not a sniffle then three weeks ago the entire extended family went down in the same week. The lad brought it home from college and the sister in law picked it up in the nursing home she works at.
For me it was two days of bad flue symptoms followed by threes days of really bad cold symptoms and another week of being snotty but the strangest symptom is the fatigue as three weeks latter I just hit a brick wall. I’ve had to sort some jobs on the kit this weekend for its mot. I had to do one side yesterday and the other today.

I was still testing positive on day 12 before we ran out of tests.

The wife probably had it worse. She had symptoms of a bad chest infection instead of the cold.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/22 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Yep two years of being out and about with work and not a sniffle then three weeks ago the entire extended family went down in the same week. The lad brought it home from college and the sister in law picked it up in the nursing home she works at.
For me it was two days of bad flue symptoms followed by threes days of really bad cold symptoms and another week of being snotty but the strangest symptom is the fatigue as three weeks latter I just hit a brick wall. I’ve had to sort some jobs on the kit this weekend for its mot. I had to do one side yesterday and the other today.

I was still testing positive on day 12 before we ran out of tests.

The wife probably had it worse. She had symptoms of a bad chest infection instead of the cold.

Do you have a heart rate monitoring watch or similar? Is the fatigue coming in the form of your HR going high and forcing you to take a breather?

I'm no medical professional, and I'd urge you to seek a doc's opinion, this is exactly how it went for me. The symptoms only abated after I went with some NSAIDS - after weeks of struggling with no difference in the fatigue, 5 days on ibuprofen (which has its own risks, of course) put me back able to do roughly the same exercise as I could before covid. This could well have been purely placebo, or unrelated (I could justify them for another purpose anyway), but it's worth getting looked at.

Sanzomat

posted on 4/4/22 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'm following this long covid/fatigue thing with interest as my eldest has had debilitating ME/CFS for 20 years and it seems there are quite a few parallels with long covid so some the research that is finally being done might pass over into the ME world that has largely been ignored for decades.

One thing I've read consistently is that you need to be careful post virus to make sure you are fully recovered before doing exercise as restarting too early can do long term/serious damage. A lot of fit people believe going back to your normal regime will help you shake off the remainder of the bug but the opposite seems to be true. Be careful guys.

russbost

posted on 4/4/22 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Re the fatigue/HR thing.

I had Covid about 8 weeks back after a weeks ski hol in Austria, we tested on return (compulsory then) & came up negative, obviously continued our daily lives, I run a fair bit a did 11km on the day after our return, no problems. The missus had some slight cold symptoms, but nothing major - 2 days later, we get pinged, presumably off the plane, & hence tested again By this point the missus had a mild/medium cold, but no big deal, I'd had a faintly scratchy throat which never developed into an actual sore throat or anything, never occiurred to me I'd be positive, tho' I thought she might be - we both came up positive, so 10 days isolation.

I felt a complete fraud, there was clearly absolutely nothing wrong with me!!!. Or so I thought .......However, when I got back to running after the 10 days, I was around `15 - 20 secs a km slower & my heart rate was thro' the roof. I was on a social run with the local club & my watch went off with a HR warning as I'd exceeded my max HR! Not a good thing, apparently you don't get any prizes for a PB on that one!

I've had to slow the execise down, but still hit another max HR despite not pushing hard, I wouldn't describe it as lethargy or lack of energy as I can do anything I normally would in terms of day to day stuff, but I'd say it's taken the whole of that 8 weeks for my HR to drop anything like back to normal & it's still running a little high even now, but only on exercise, resting HR & BP is normal

It's a very weird disease & I think we're a long way from fully understanding it - I've since had an ordinary cold (tested neg throughout) which was way worse than the Covid, but that had no affect on the HR at all so far as I could tell

Definitely a case of take it easy after you've had it, listen to your body & don't push into hard exercise too early on, hope you make a quick recovery!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
McLannahan

posted on 4/4/22 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting this and the other replies too.

I too have been hit with it but I'm still producing negative LFT's. Perhaps I'm doing them wrong?? I did have a PCR last week and that was negative, but have since been on a conference with work and have returned feeling really grotty - and many others have tested positive from that event.

It could be a cold - but I have fatigue, less lung capacity (I am asthmatic) coughing a lot - often with green phlegm and a scratchy throat.

With the end of free PCR and now a relaxed turn around to LFT's (approx. 3 days to receive now in Wales at least) - Do I bother the doctor with this, or just assume this is the result of how a "normal" cold might now affect me?

jacko

posted on 4/4/22 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all
All interesting reading and now the wife has covid too
Keep the info coming
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 4/4/22 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hope you recover soon Graham and there is no lasting affects.
All the best to you and the family.

Brad

big_wasa

posted on 4/4/22 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Do you have a heart rate monitoring watch or similar? Is the fatigue coming in the form of your HR going high and forcing you to take a breather?.

I will be honest I hadn't thought to check my blood pressure or pulse. Just believing my body hasn't fully cleared it yet. But I agree its a strange one with the side affects for me being worse than initial bug.

SJ

posted on 5/4/22 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you fell better soon. I seem to have been immune to it from the start as I've been around lots of people who had it and have been fine. I take a lot of Vit C & D though so that could explain it.

[Edited on 5/4/22 by SJ]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/4/22 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Hope you fell better soon. I seem to have been immune to it from the start as I've been around lots of people who had it and have been fine. I take a lot of Vit C & D though so that could explain it.

[Edited on 5/4/22 by SJ]

More likely that you're naturally less susceptible - Vit C and D have been roundly proven to have zero effect on anything unless you're already weakened by medical issues. Or you're just lucky. My partner was at the same location I caught it, played with the same child I did (who gave it to me) and lived with me for the time afterward, sleeping in the same bed, and never got it.

SJ

posted on 6/4/22 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

[Edited on 5/4/22 by SJ]

More likely that you're naturally less susceptible - Vit C and D have been roundly proven to have zero effect on anything unless you're already weakened by medical issues. Or you're just lucky. My partner was at the same location I caught it, played with the same child I did (who gave it to me) and lived with me for the time afterward, sleeping in the same bed, and never got it.

Not sure I would agree with that - lots of evidence of benefits of Vit D for covid, but each to his own.

BenB

posted on 6/4/22 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
There was a recently published meta-analysis of RCTs looking at Covid + Vitamin D suggesting benefit

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35086394/

BenB

posted on 6/4/22 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I should add it was a small sample size (500 odd patients). A previous combined RCT and cohort meta-analysis was less supportive.
A bit of vitamin D unlikely to do harm though!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/4/22 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
See to me that's not enough evidence, and only really shows correlation, and there's plenty of studies saying the me thing "needs more study".
On top of that, I wonder whether that's in a population which is chronically deficient.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.