Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's new in the world of washing m/c's?
russbost

posted on 13/7/23 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
What's new in the world of washing m/c's?

Morning gents,

So. it looks like I need to replace our ancient Siemens washing m/c, I'm pretty sure it's the pump, but changed that around 5 or 6 years ago & simply can't be bothered with messing with something that's probably got lots of other knickered bits on it just waiting to give up the ghost

What's new (& worth having!) in the world of washing m/c's, I'm sure there must be improvements in energy efficiency & stuff since I last bought one, but thought it might save me trawling through loads of manufacturer's hype & BS if the great LCB collective could throw their immense knowledge behind this?

Any thoghts. knowledge to share - anything to avoid?

TIA Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 13/7/23 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
With 3 kids here you can imagine our washing m/c and tumble dryer do some work!

I've always preferred to repair than just replace, but many white goods seem hard work actually to get inside these days.

When I can get inside to repair there's many sources online for parts.

That said, I've generally taken the approach of buy what's relatively cheap, IN STOCK & and has a minimum 2 year warranty. Many appear to offer longer warrnty if you "register" them, but they'll always try and sting you for a monthly fee.

On the tumble dryer front, the more washing that can be hung out to dry the better. Personally I'm not a fan of tumble dried clothes anyway - they always seem to shrink a bit (my t-shirts seem to go "crop top".

russbost

posted on 13/7/23 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, this is washing M/c only, not a combined, we barely use our tumble drier & when we do it's overnight on the cheap leccy!

I'm sure I could fix it as defo looks like a pump problem again, but IIRC it's around 15 years or so old now & seen a LOT of service, I can't imagine it'll go on forever - must be about to rust away inside, hence rather than waste hours taking it to bits & chase parts, I'd rather replace & start anew

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 13/7/23 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
To clarify, we have separate washer & drier, not combined. Not had a comdined, but friends & family who have have all found them really really poor driers!
cliftyhanger

posted on 13/7/23 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
A bit radical, but I tend to buy the cheapest machine but pay for a 5yr warranty.
I have taken this approach in my student rentals on the basis it costs £1.20 a week for 5 years, but many machines seem to last way longer. Best was a servis that got to 15 years. Still working, but the front panel started to rust away so the seal was incontinent.

But look for something that has a quick wash with a high spin speed.

(At home we have a miele, wife bought it when she got a bonus at work. 12+ years, but I had to replace the heating element a year ago. I will keep repairing for as long as possible, it is a decent bit of kit)

JoelP

posted on 13/7/23 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I like Siemens myself, and the fact that it's lasted 15 years confirms they're decent. I'd just get another - specifically, the cheapest one that has a 5 year warranty. Bosch is the same group.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 13/7/23 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I like Siemens myself, and the fact that it's lasted 15 years confirms they're decent. I'd just get another - specifically, the cheapest one that has a 5 year warranty. Bosch is the same group.

Bosch wiper blades seem to work well for me, perform well and last well. Other brands just seem to fail faster (in my experience).

40inches

posted on 13/7/23 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
A bit radical, but I tend to buy the cheapest machine but pay for a 5yr warranty.
I have taken this approach in my student rentals on the basis it costs £1.20 a week for 5 years, but many machines seem to last way longer.

This is what I do and what I told my customers (I was a Dom App engineer for 45yrs up to retirement)
My £200 Hotpoint washer is now 12 years old, it has had 2 repairs under extended warranty, I shall keep it until it dies. Then go to Currys for another one

gremlin1234

posted on 13/7/23 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
you don't need a machine with hundreds of 'programmes' you are only going to use 2 or 3 of them.

yes a combined dryer can be useful occasionally; but you still need to air dry (or iron! ) things to get them properly dry.

I think all now just use a cold water feed.

SteveWalker

posted on 13/7/23 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I went for a Haier direct drive washing machine. It takes a 10kg load and runs very smoothly and quietly - no jumping around and so quiet that we can carry on talking, without raising our voices, when standing 6 feet away ... we don't even bother shutting the kitchen door when we are watching TV. It comes with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee and a 10 year guarantee on the drive system.
shindha

posted on 14/7/23 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote here for Haier, not too complicated and made in the UK, I like the 15 min cycle. Ours is 1400 max spin our previous one was 1600 but the clothes coming out of the Haier feel just as damp.
HowardB

posted on 14/7/23 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Haier used to be GE
I had a Zanussi it lasted 27 years - it didn't die it just got a bit loud.

I have replaced it with an AEG - it is A rated - so it will save money over the G rated Zanussi
It is 1600 spin so synthetics are almost dry
It has a 20min wash so it is great for a re-fresh of clothes

something like this -
linky

HTH

perksy

posted on 17/7/23 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Don't buy a Samsung, We were almost on first name terms with the repair chap during the 5 year warranty, Even he said "They build good TV's, but as for washing machines.."

We had a Bosch one that only lasted 3 years, their not made in Germany anymore, but in Romania...

nick205

posted on 23/7/23 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Don't buy a Samsung, We were almost on first name terms with the repair chap during the 5 year warranty, Even he said "They build good TV's, but as for washing machines.."

We had a Bosch one that only lasted 3 years, their not made in Germany anymore, but in Romania...

No experience with Samsung white goods, but our TV and my mobiles (for years) have been. All good.

red22

posted on 23/7/23 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has a washing habit, at least two loads a day.

She used to go through brushes or motors like anything.

Been through Hovers, LGs and Samsung. They didn't seem to like being used a lot.

Have now settled on Bosch. As they just wash without any grief.

The current one is 5+ years old with no problems.

Bosch Serie 6 with the IDS if that's any use.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.