Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House lighting circuit
number-1

posted on 22/12/23 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
House lighting circuit

Can anone shed some light on house wiring if i give a scenario?

As you walk into the kitchen there is a light switch. It has 2 switches on it.The right is for the main kitchen light, and the left for the light over the dining table. There is also a switch on the other side of the kitchen by the back door. This only has 1 switch on it and is also for over the dining table.

The switch by the back door is never used as we always use the one as you walk into the kitchen. I plan to install a floodlight in the garden (non PIR). Is there a way to wire the floodlight up to the switch by the back door and stop it from turning the light on/off over the kitchen table?

Also, what is the correct term used for the 2 switch for 1 light set up?

Thanks

N1

gremlin1234

posted on 22/12/23 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
the term you are looking for is
two way switching.

BenB

posted on 22/12/23 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The issue will be the neutral supply. 2 wire switching mainly mucks about with the live and neutral goes direct to the lamp. So the second switch will have live supply which you could nick but you would have to source a neutral and the unconnected line back to the first switch would be live at times so would need securely insulating with a Wago or similar connector. And nicking a neutral off sockets in the same room will likely trip the mcb if you've got a split CU as the sockets and lights will often be on seperate mcbs. Or they might not. Just be careful. 240v down your arm is not good. It all sounds sketch IMHO.

SteveWalker

posted on 22/12/23 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you can find a live, neutral and earth and a way to get it to the light, you could use a Zigbee wireless switch and receiver to operate it.

number-1

posted on 25/12/23 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps

It seems to fall into the too difficult box for me so plan B

There is an internal double socket already on the same wall as the one i plan to fix the floodlight to. I plan to remove the face plate, drill a hole through the wall and run some cable through and fit a waterproof fused spur with the correct fuse rating to the outside wall, and from there run the wiring to the light. I will then connect the other end to the existing face plate.

Does this sound an easier option? I will for ease, have to use a floodlight with a PIR with this setup probably

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/12/23 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, this is your best bet.
Just make sure the circuit is covered by an RCD

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.