Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic light and earth?
number-1

posted on 5/1/24 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic light and earth?

Evening All

Does anyone know if a plastic outside light needs an earth? The entire shell is plastic and as far as I can see the only metal parts are where the bulb screws in.

The reason I ask is there is nowhere to attach one and the previous light (metal) did have a location for one

Cheers

N1

jacko

posted on 5/1/24 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it does it will need two wires live and nuteral

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 5/1/24 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
There is usually an earth terminal, even if it serves no function.
If not pop the bare earth wire in some sleeve and fold it over/tuck it away. There should be instructions with the light fitting which overrule any regulations.

The light will need to be covered by an RCD for safety. Many properties had split load boards fitted about 25 years ago, where power circuits were on an RCD and the light circuits were not. So do check.

nick205

posted on 7/1/24 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
The light will need to be covered by an RCD for safety. Many properties had split load boards fitted about 25 years ago, where power circuits were on an RCD and the light circuits were not. So do check.

Our house was wired like this!

Re-wire with a new consumer unit corrected things.

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/1/24 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Our house was wired like this!

Re-wire with a new consumer unit corrected things.

I have sorted a few, by adding an extra RCD in the board, or making the whole board protected by the one RCD. Or even swapping the non-rcd breakers for RCBOs. Saves the client a small fortune.
My nephew has just bought a flat, no RCD at all in the board. I will replace the mainswitch with an RCD for him. Simple, and with a small number of circuits, quite acceptable,

number-1

posted on 7/1/24 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps

Apparently the plastic light is double insulated so doesn't need an earth as its class II? I have wired it up leaving the earth unconnected and covered up and it seems to work ok.

N1

coyoteboy

posted on 9/1/24 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have sorted a few, by adding an extra RCD in the board, or making the whole board protected by the one RCD. Or even swapping the non-rcd breakers for RCBOs. Saves the client a small fortune.
My nephew has just bought a flat, no RCD at all in the board. I will replace the mainswitch with an RCD for him. Simple, and with a small number of circuits, quite acceptable,

My whole house is protected by wire fuses and a single RCD on the incoming line, straight after the meter and main fuse. One slight slipped wire and the whole damn house is down

One day I'll replace the consumer unit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.