Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wasp Nests!!!!
stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/8/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
same here a week ago

35 quid and about an hr later no more.

I wouldnt f*&k with wasps, they are not good humoured things.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Had one under the soffit outside bedroom window. Tried everything to no avail. Called in the guy with his powder - £40 and all wasps gone in 30 minutes....
I'd say it was worth it...
Pat...

carcentric

posted on 8/8/04 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't read an answer to pbura's question:
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
Can't you buy spray insecticide for wasps and hornets? Comes in a can and shoots 20 feet or so, can buy it just about anywhere. . . .

Are products like Raid illegal in the UK?

We found several yellowjacket nests under eaves this year and one in a rhodedendron - the largest nest was the size of a soccer ball - but a thorough dousing with the spray can decommissioned each one.

We also had some paper wasps (their nexts have an open hexagon structure similar to honey bee combs, and something else (hornets, maybe?) that have nests underground.

Fortunately, a developer is buying our property and will have to deal with nature's little wonders when he levels the house and starts digging around after the first of the year.

At our new place, we've enjoyed hanging yellow plastic traps. There's no poison in these - you put an attractant oil inside, they fly in through holes in the bottom, but aren't smart enough to leave the same way, so they dehydrate and die. This kind of trap only works on yellowjackets, though.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

pbura

posted on 9/8/04 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carcentric
Didn't read an answer to pbura's question

Hellfire described a product that sounded equivalent to Raid (and other brands) wasp killer.

Bought it at a PET store, though? Guess that's no crazier than my buying it a drug store, er apothecary

Pete

Pete

thekafer

posted on 9/8/04 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a can of "Start Ya Bast@rd" is in order......

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

marktigere1

posted on 9/8/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure someone on here would lend you a welders mask and gloves?

Do wasps nests conduct current for a MIG?

If a bolt is stuck force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!!!
(My Dad 1991)

chris.russell

posted on 9/8/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
try just going on holiday for two months until the cold weather comes, no more wasps and one hell of a sun tan!

Mines a pint

ned

posted on 9/8/04 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
we have anest in our garden shed. it was on the ceiling until one day when i shut the door it fell on the floor. it is now a lot bigger and is growing on the sofa that is being stored in there. tried ot get the mower out 2 weeks ago and got stung. so sofa friendly inside shed remedies? which is best!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unclecol

posted on 9/8/04 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look here to see how one guy sorted his wasp problem...not necessarily recommended!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=344216&highlight=wasps

Colbriman....where did you get the hoover idea????!!!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/8/04 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
thats a good thread - funny if you are not a wasp. I will give that a try (suitably attired) if i get any ground based wasps. mine was in a wooden window facing, with an entry hole underneath - hard to get the powder to stick!

what I liked was posters on scoobynet make me look like a novice

for example

23 July 2004, 18:41
Neil Smalley

23 July 2004, 18:43
Redkop

23 July 2004, 21:48
Huxley
Scooby Regular

: Broadmoor Please let me out !!!!!!!!!!

atb

steve

theconrodkid

posted on 9/8/04 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
nimbus is obviously a millatry man

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeP

posted on 9/8/04 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Serious answer to the question - I have to be serious because I have a horrible phobia of wasps and hornets...

Foaming hornet & wasp poison works great - they die instantly when they touch the stuff. You can shoot it from 10' away, cover the nest, then move in close to squirt it right in the openings. They don't come back. The poison washes off and you have a souvenier ala "The Shining" if you dare .

One can is good for 2 or 3 nests and even I could do it...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
drmike54

posted on 20/8/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
WASPS!

I haven't had any problem with wasps until yesterday. My son yelled at me "Dad the dog is biting something!". So I went outside to see what was attacking the dog and saw she was covered by about 10 wasps. I then heard my son yelling because he was stung and then so was I. I went in the house to take care of my son and get him calmed down before I rescued the dog. Got the dog cleaned off and calmed down and in the house. I asked my son how he was feeling and he said "Better" at that exact moment a wasp that had been hidding in his pants stung him on his leg. Today the exterminator came out. The nest is under the siding of the house so that eliminates the pour gasoline down the hole and burn them up method. Oh well $125 gone again.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 20/8/04 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
as a rule, i dont kill anything. The exception are wasps and flies. Wasps are evil little bastards with no purpose in life.

Flies laid eggs in the flesh of the dog I had as a kid and lived under the skin as maggots. The dog had to have a load of flesh scooped out to get rid of them.

enjoy your tea

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 21/8/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol works very well as long as you're quick. Pour it in and have an assistant ready with the matches. Quite a panic sets in when the petrol goes in and they'll start swarming around the nest so it's important to do it quick. Those ones will be covered in petrol tho so that sorts them out.

Your problem comes when the ones that are 'out' come back to find their nest on fire so make sure you retreat as soon as it's alight.

Both times I've done it we put about a litre of petrol into a bucket and used that to deliver it to the nest. Cans take too long to pour - you really want to be pouring it on and legging it!

Failing that, I've heard that meths based windscreen washer concentrate in a 'super soaker' works well and can be used from a distance. Give it a good squirt first, then a squirt with a flame applied

Chris

My gaff my rules

greggors84

posted on 21/8/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Got one under my window at the moment. Got some rentokill wasp nest destroyer fast action foam. Just shake and spray form about 2m away. If you can see the nest just cover it, if not just get the holes where they are coming out of. Best to do it in the evening though, when most of them are in the nest. When the others try and get back in, they die when the touch the foam.
Ive had to do it a few times though as it keep on raining after i have sprayed it.
I had a hornets nest in the same place last year. one spray did the trick.
Best thing about it is you dont need to get close, they dont know where its comin from.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.