Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Personal email from Tony Blair!
IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
get Tony Blair to drive a bus, more suited to that.

I don't think 60 million of us will fit on that bus.

It was a serious question, where are all (me included) quick too not want too pay more this, more that, but whats the answer ?

Did anyone see the tonight programme think it was Monday night, 8 out of the 10 where actually better off with the road charging, I'm not a supporter of it btw just asking the question.

How ?

Jon, as I’ve said before I'm likely to be better off with road pricing BUT like many others, I object to being tracked. It IS a good way to overcome congestion and help the environment; however, the public need reassurance their privacy will be protected.

Regards,
Iain

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

macnab

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by macnab
get Tony Blair to drive a bus, more suited to that.

I don't think 60 million of us will fit on that bus.

It was a serious question, where are all (me included) quick too not want too pay more this, more that, but whats the answer ?

Did anyone see the tonight programme think it was Monday night, 8 out of the 10 where actually better off with the road charging, I'm not a supporter of it btw just asking the question.

How ?

I would be serious if I thought the government was in the slightest. But as usual it’s all talk with corruption in the background.

Some things never change, especially in politics.

novacaine

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
if it does come in how about building the transponder into your garage floor and driving your car tax free?

or perhaps an angle grinding acciedent...

what about the cost of the transponders ? £3500 for the unit £310 for the fitting or something like that, i read that on the sunday times website.

i hate the idea and if it comes in i will be on the first plane out of this country.

how can Blair ignore 1.8m of the 22m motorists?

something was said here about the total revenue the govnment makes off the normal car, the speeding fines? with a GPS tracker the SECOND you stray out of the speedlimit by even the smallest ammount you will get £60 fine and 3 points. That is what bothers me the most. in all honesty, how many times in the past year has everyone strayed even slightly over the speed limit?

like i siad, if it comes in, im out

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Jon Ison

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of politicians on here, How ? Was the question.

Whats a valid alternative ?

If you read what I wrote above I don't profess too be a supporter of the road charging, just asked the question whats the workable alternative that's all.

Tim 45

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine

how can Blair ignore 1.8m of the 22m motorists?

The other 20.2m didnt complain?

JAG

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tax on fuel is the easiest and most accurate option.

The more you drive/sit in jams the more you pay.

The bigger your vehicle and the worse your fuel consumption the more you pay.

No need for expensive gizmos in your car, no need for a billing system, no major investment.

I think that's the perfect answer and would love to hear a good argument aginst - if there is one.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

David Jenkins

posted on 21/2/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I agree - it's pointless taxing cars by engine size or the amount they pollute per litre of fuel. It is not hard to find large cars that have low emissions but very low mpg - thus giving off far more pollution than more economical cars. One good example is the Ford GT that Jeremy Clarkson had - 4 mpg - but I guess he still paid £170 like everyone else with an engine over 1600cc.

A tax on fuel would be political dynamite just at the moment, but if it was introduced at the same time that road tax was withdrawn then most people would accept it. The only difficulty I can see is that paying the road tax is the only time that insurance and MOT can be checked - but the DVLA seem able to do that on-line these days.

David

iank

posted on 21/2/07 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Arguments against (not that I agree with them):

1. Double dip, keep petrol duty AND road charge
2. Police will be able to request records to see who was driving in the area at the time an offence was committed.
3. The company lined up to make the boxes will no doubt be making big contributions to the labour/conservative parties to keep the contract.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Benzine

posted on 21/2/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
ggnore Tony
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tim 45

posted on 21/2/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
David, new laws on road taxing, your law only applies to cars registered before march 2001. Between then and 23 march 2006 it goes off fuel type and pollution/km. AFTER that it goes off fuel type UNLESS it pollutes MORE than 225g/km of CO2.

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I agree - it's pointless taxing cars by engine size or the amount they pollute per litre of fuel. It is not hard to find large cars that have low emissions but very low mpg - thus giving off far more pollution than more economical cars. One good example is the Ford GT that Jeremy Clarkson had - 4 mpg - but I guess he still paid £170 like everyone else with an engine over 1600cc.

A tax on fuel would be political dynamite just at the moment, but if it was introduced at the same time that road tax was withdrawn then most people would accept it. The only difficulty I can see is that paying the road tax is the only time that insurance and MOT can be checked - but the DVLA seem able to do that on-line these days.

David

smart51

posted on 21/2/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Tax on fuel is the easiest and most accurate option.

The more you drive/sit in jams the more you pay.

The bigger your vehicle and the worse your fuel consumption the more you pay.

No need for expensive gizmos in your car, no need for a billing system, no major investment.

I think that's the perfect answer and would love to hear a good argument aginst - if there is one.

I agree totaly, for limiting pollution. What Blair want's to do with the congestion charge is reduce peak demand on roads bu persuading people to travel away from peak times. Commuters have to travel at peak times but other journeys could be made earlier or later in the day. It might persuade a few more parents to make their kids walk to school.

I don't support the congestion charge though. It won't affect congestion enough but does have lots of flaws, like not charging according to pollution levels, like haveing monsterous overheads and like the breach of civil liberties of having a government run tracking system in your car.

If it will be a minimum of 10 years before it comes in then it will be a story that runs until the government changes its mind. There will be at least 2 elections before then

tom_loughlin

posted on 21/2/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
My Answer to the whole thing - is to simply put more tax on the fuel.
That way, there is no getting round it - scrap road tax, these transponder jobbies... that way, the more people drive, the more they pay.

simple (at least it is in my eyes)

Catpuss

posted on 21/2/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Couple that with the previous bill that allows changes in law without going through the commons and you can see the slow errosion of rights.

(the tories didn't oppose this as I guess they saw a good thing if they got in power)

JoelP

posted on 21/2/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
clever computer, mine went straight to the junk box!
Ian D

posted on 21/2/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to get a foreign registered car.

So long as you take it out of the country every 6 months your ok.

Hows he going to deal with foreign cars then!

woodster

posted on 22/2/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Tony b liar worst PM EVER

Negative, Thatcher was by far the most damaging PM we have had as she started the wholesale dismantling of the community spirit we once had....

All to stop people gathering because sharing talk and opinions are dangerous things...

I look forward to the day she dies a long lingering death...

You missed my point chuck ... Mr BLIAR is the first labour PM in a very long time what happened to the labour party being for the working man funded partly by the unions ... remember things can only get better playing as he walked down Downing street .. no more torie sleeze.... paying to use the roads is an idea the rich will be happy with not your average man on £250 a week

[Edited on 22/2/07 by woodster]

Benzine

posted on 22/2/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
Tony b liar worst PM EVER

Negative, Thatcher was by far the most damaging PM we have had as she started the wholesale dismantling of the community spirit we once had....

All to stop people gathering because sharing talk and opinions are dangerous things...

I look forward to the day she dies a long lingering death...

lol k

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.